Does the Leaf appeal to conservatives?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LTLFTcomposite said:
While I consider myself a conservative I think RL is unenlightened on a number of subjects.

I was talking about Rush's drug addiction.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/house.asp

BS. Gore uses geothermal.

BTW, I saw this stupid criticism about the climate summit - that they came flying. How do you expect them to come - swimming across the ocean ? Climate summit was a disaster not because they came flying - but because they didn't achieve anything.

ps : I'm more interested in the policies of politicians than what they drive around in. What is the point of being kind to a neighbour's child if your policies killed 100s of thousands ?

evnow said:
BTW, I saw this stupid criticism about the climate summit - that they came flying. How do you expect them to come - swimming across the ocean ?

If they're so goddamn concerned, I would expect them to set an example. Private jet aircraft travel has the be the most egregious example of a fossil fuel wasting carbon spewing activity there is. On two occasions I have been on commercial flights with ex-presidents on board. Anyone who was truly concerned wouldn't go near a private jet. Period.

Thanks for sharing about the jets. The aviation industry has gotten a lot cleaner as well - the small jets are quite efficient.

I know we can have an adult conversation about the subject without resorting to personal attacks on some of the players. Let those that have never flown cast the first tofu clod? ;)

Notice that evnow's question still isn't answered. Maybe the climate summits should be via teleconference? If so, who should pay to run fiber to the countries without internet access so that all can be represented?

AndyH said:
Thanks for sharing about the jets. The aviation industry has gotten a lot cleaner as well - the small jets are quite efficient.

I know we can have an adult conversation about the subject without resorting to personal attacks on some of the players. Let those that have never flown cast the first tofu clod? ;)

Notice that evnow's question still isn't answered. Maybe the climate summits should be via teleconference? If so, who should pay to run fiber to the countries without internet access so that all can be represented?

I assume you are referring to the question about how the delegation should have traveled. I would have expected them to fly commercial, which according to this little chart is 1/5 the impact of the efficient small jets:

Concorde fuel efficiency comparison
Aircraft Concorde[18] Gulfstream G550 business jet Boeing 747-400[19]
passenger miles/imperial gallon 17 19 109
passenger miles/US gallon 14 16 91
litres/passenger 100 km 16.6 14.8 2.6

I didn't attack anyone personally, just their actions, and perhaps their motives.

LTLFTcomposite said:
AndyH said:

I assume you are referring to the question about how the delegation should have traveled. I would have expected them to fly commercial, which according to this little chart is 1/5 the impact of the efficient small jets:

Concorde fuel efficiency comparison
Aircraft Concorde[18] Gulfstream G550 business jet Boeing 747-400[19]
passenger miles/imperial gallon 17 19 109
passenger miles/US gallon 14 16 91
litres/passenger 100 km 16.6 14.8 2.6

I didn't attack anyone personally, just their actions, and perhaps their motives.

You're right - you didn't attack personally. Just expressing that I know we can have this chat without chasing anyone away.

Ultimately, the folks doing the flying are closest to the needs of the trip. I wasn't there so cannot judge their travel plans. I'm not as concerned, though, as hopefully the process will result in saving much more than just a few jet rides.

LTLFTcomposite said:
If they're so goddamn concerned, I would expect them to set an example.

That is like saying anyone claiming to be Christian should live exactly like Jesus did (or atleast follow all the edicts laid out in the bible).

It is also a way to complete ignore the message & focus on the trivialities like our MSM always does. Everything is a game for them.

ps : Here is a trivia from another age. Gandhi was the master of living as he preached - giving up everything includes most of his clothes. He used to insist on traveling "second class" in trains. The British Raj had to get special second class coaches for him - for security reasons, I guess. He was teased about it too -"do you know how much it costs to keep you poor" ?

Full words when introducing acronyms? ;) What's an MSM? Hmmm...mainstream media?

Our media is a business that makes money selling ads. Their price goes up when more people watch. More people watch when they're afraid and that's why the media ignores the 99.9998% of the news that's positive and neutral to bring us the worst of the negative. As such it's useless for supplying meaningful news and keeps us constantly off-center.

Want to see how pervasive marketing and fear are? Dump the TV and radio for a year.

I fear that most of the anti-EV noise on forums and in the press aren't because the messenger really dislikes EVs but because they've accepted the message from their peers. The status quo yells much louder than we do.

Dav said:
But how can you extend that to the Leaf?

The question is how do conservatives feel about the Leaf,
not how do they feel about the Leaf subsidy.

I approve of the Leaf, not of the subsidy. I'm waaay far right.

I think that is a very fair point to make. However, I do not think that the Leaf would have sufficient uptake without the subsidy. In any event, we will hopefully never know the answer to that question as the Leaf gains traction (pun intended).

LTLFTcomposite said:
evnow said:
BTW, I saw this stupid criticism about the climate summit - that they came flying. How do you expect them to come - swimming across the ocean ?

If they're so goddamn concerned, I would expect them to set an example. Private jet aircraft travel has the be the most egregious example of a fossil fuel wasting carbon spewing activity there is. On two occasions I have been on commercial flights with ex-presidents on board. Anyone who was truly concerned wouldn't go near a private jet. Period.

Ah, private jets.

Sigh

I have to say, they are DAMN nice. lol

Sorry, I don't intend to start a post war on the relative merits of all the players. People have their convictions and data is always the servant of the purveyor in the social science arena.

I have no reason to doubt that a Gulfstream consumes more fuel per passenger mile than a 737.

Also, I sure wish I had been able to take more flights on a Gulfstream!! Yeah, I may be green, but sitting in a spacious cabin without some kid kicking the back of your seat for three hours is a treat :)

sjfotos said:
Also, I sure wish I had been able to take more flights on a Gulfstream!! Yeah, I may be green, but sitting in a spacious cabin without some kid kicking the back of your seat for three hours is a treat :)

I'm sure it was. (/jealousy off)

But where is the greater evil? Riding in a jet that has very low passenger miles/gallon of gas, or a parent letting their child misbehave by kicking your chair? :lol:

Jimmydreams said:
sjfotos said:

But where is the greater evil? Riding in a jet that has very low passenger miles/gallon of gas, or a parent letting their child misbehave by kicking your chair? :lol:

I would be eternally grateful if Congress could enact a law regarding children on passenger jets. I am thinking along the lines of a storage compartment :lol:

sjfotos said:
I have no reason to doubt that a Gulfstream consumes more fuel per passenger mile than a 737.
That depends on seat occupancy percentage ! And I've seen a lot of sparsely occupied 737s.

And if one "high level" VIP travels commercially you also need to take into account the extent of their "entourage" (think security, assistant(s), etc) to compute the impact "per trip".

( I am neither criticizing nor advocating use of private jets. That decision (with all of its impact and implications) is up to the "user". )

LEAFer said:
And if one "high level" VIP travels commercially you also need to take into account the extent of their "entourage" (think security, assistant(s), etc) to compute the impact "per trip".

Most of the heads of state, when they travel, take domestic journalists on tour. The jet is never empty.

Now, let us discuss private jets of corporate executives ;-)

I don't like subsides in general like paying a farmer not to grow corn and to leave his field empty is dumb. The farmer should grow wheat or something else. I do agree that farmers need money at times as loans to make it from a bad year to the next year to pay the loan back. Some of the biggest farms are large corporations getting the money that is plan wrong.

To my point like the highway system and the early railroad which used large government support help bring on the industrial revolution and make the USA what we are today. I think the US government should help with the installation of charging equipment. I support the power company's getting credits to give power at a lower cost or free to EV's in exchange for credits toward there renewable requirements at the same time the government requiring them in the future to increase renewable levels from the 10-15% level up to 30%. That would be a win win. People would buy the EV cars because they would be much cheaper in the long run then a ICE car with ever increasing cost of gas.

Gonewild said:
I don't like subsides in general like paying a farmer not to grow corn and to leave his field empty is dumb. The farmer should grow wheat or something else. I do agree that farmers need money at times as loans to make it from a bad year to the next year to pay the loan back. Some of the biggest farms are large corporations getting the money that is plan wrong.

To my point like the highway system and the early railroad which used large government support help bring on the industrial revolution and make the USA what we are today. I think the US government should help with the installation of charging equipment. I support the power company's getting credits to give power at a lower cost or free to EV's in exchange for credits toward there renewable requirements at the same time the government requiring them in the future to increase renewable levels from the 10-15% level up to 30%. That would be a win win. People would buy the EV cars because they would be much cheaper in the long run then a ICE car with ever increasing cost of gas.

Using the highway system as an example - keep in mind that the reality of the interstate system might be different from how it was sold to the taxpayers. It was very important to be able to move troops and equipment around the country in times of war. And many of the straight sections of our highway system were planned as emergency airfields. A large part of the highway system, like the internet, got it's start with military cash.

Subsidies are only tools and aren't a negative thing when they move us in a good direction. (Trying to remember the rules for karma...a negative thing used for a positive purpose is positive?) ;)

Gonewild said:
Some of the biggest farms are large corporations getting the money that is plan wrong.

I also have a big problem with people who remembered that subsidies and deficits are a bad thing on January 20, 2009.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/electric-avenue-is-more-than-a-detour-for-main-street-auto-makers/article1658120/

If you ask Peder Norby what he thinks of Al Gore, he’ll chuckle and use the phrase “snake-oil salesman.” He refers to “quote unquote global warming.” He’s a self-described conservative Republican, calls himself a boring person, and has never been on the cutting edge of anything. And yet Mr. Norby, a 47-year-old planning commissioner with the County of San Diego, may just be an unlikely poster boy for one of the most momentous movements now under way, a worldwide revolution that its most ardent advocates say has the potential to pre-empt wars and save the planet.

Jimmydreams said:
sjfotos said:

Ah, the envy.

Be honest, JimmyDreams and sjfotos... when someone sees conspicuous consumption, maybe that guy with the Escalade or the Gulfstream, and bemoans his carbon footprint and seeks regulation to reign in his lifestyle to be more in line with their own, do you think it's always about the environment, or is there just a little deep seeded anger that they don't have that lifestyle too?

Back