Seat Belts - Too Tight

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosuchthing

The front seat belts are way too tight and put a lot of pressure on my chest (I am a 6-foot man, regular built). I have never had seat belts this tight in any of the vehicles I have ever owned.

Please loosen them up for us with Gen 1 Leafs!

Have your dealer take a look. I'm 6 foot as well and don't find them any tighter than any other car. Perhaps yours are defective.

I am big, and my seatbelt seems fine.

Like any normal car, they adjust to about any "tightness" across my lap,
and there is no noticable problem across my chest and sholder.

I think I share your problem in general.

I don't have any issues with the front, however, the back seat belts are a source of endless frustration. I have a child booster seat in the back and every time I want to fasten the belt I have to make sure the belt doesn't retract at all during the process otherwise I have to fully retract and start over because it locks and wont give any slack. Drives me and my 4 year old silly. There is also a shoulder clip on the booster seat so I have to unhook that every time so the belt can fully retract and unlock. RIDICULOUS. The fix is for Nissan to adjust the tolerance on the seat belt to allow for more slack instead of only allowing for it to get tighter and tighter. Give us some slack... haha.

EVDrive said:
... I have a child booster seat in the back and every time I want to fasten the belt I have to make sure the belt doesn't retract at all during the process otherwise I have to fully retract and start over because it locks and wont give any slack. ... The fix is for Nissan to adjust the tolerance on the seat belt to allow for more slack instead of only allowing for it to get tighter and tighter. Give us some slack... haha.
I'm pretty sure that locking behavior is required for regular child seats that have their own restraints. After buckling the belt, you purposely pull it all the way out then let it retract so that it locks the seat into place. The real problem sounds like the belt simply isn't long enough to let you use it with the booster without pulling it all the way out.

EVDrive said:
I don't have any issues with the front, however, the back seat belts are a source of endless frustration.
I used the back seat for the first time a week ago and I agree that it was hell. The seat belts just don't work well. Never had any issues with the front ones.

davewill said:
... I have a child booster seat in the back and every time I want to fasten the belt I have to make sure the belt doesn't retract at all during the process otherwise I have to fully retract and start over because it locks and wont give any slack. ... The fix is for Nissan to adjust the tolerance on the seat belt to allow for more slack instead of only allowing for it to get tighter and tighter. Give us some slack... haha.

AMEN to that! My 5 year old and 3 year old have the same problems. The seat belts go into locking mode way to early and don't release from that mode until the seat belt is almost fully retracted. Very difficult for children in car seats.

EVDrive said:
I'm pretty sure that locking behavior is required for regular child seats that have their own restraints. After buckling the belt, you purposely pull it all the way out then let it retract so that it locks the seat into place. The real problem sounds like the belt simply isn't long enough to let you use it with the booster without pulling it all the way out.

It is required, but doesn't have to be so aggressive. The belts are plenty long enough, they just go into locking mode well before they should.

ILETRIC said:
The front seat belts are way too tight and put a lot of pressure on my chest (I am a 6-foot man, regular built). I have never had seat belts this tight in any of the vehicles I have ever owned.

Please loosen them up for us with Gen 1 Leafs!
----------------------------------------------------
Try buying a sheepskin cover for the seat belt. It really makes it comfortable :cool: They are under $10.00 on Amazon.

Back