DIY Horn Upgrade Mod - Updated Jan 12

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, the compressor start up would likely blow the 10 amp fuse...

Leafboy said:
I recommend a set of standard "snail shell" duel tone horns. They are loud and can be installed with no electrical retrofitting. Read, "plug-n-play". Horns with air compressors will most likely need some additional current to operate properly.

I did this today, and this entire thread was very helpful. Horns from PepBoys, visually identical to the original post. I went in from the top, via the "flop the tank over with the hoses attached" method. Worked great, no leaks.

Sounds MUCH better.

I posted this in another thread, but sort of relates to a new loud horn. Pedestrian warning.

This is my solution for now:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/4OXxdMmOBgc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Two-Horn Mod:

How about adding a rocker switch in an unused switch position,
perhaps the driver-side heated seats position, and wire both
the original (meap-meap) horn to one contact and the newer
LOUD horn to the other contact (perhaps ground to the common contact)
so that either the softer warning "meap" or the louder "BRAATT"
horn could be easily selected by the driver?

garygid said:
Two-Horn Mod:

How about adding a rocker switch in an unused switch position,
perhaps the driver-side heated seats position, and wire both
the original (meap-meap) horn to one contact and the newer
LOUD horn to the other contact (perhaps ground to the common contact)
so that either the softer warning "meap" or the louder "BRAATT"
horn could be easily selected by the driver?
hmmmm, I think "BRAATT" is the word they would have used in Mad Magazine.

Leafboy said:
I posted this in another thread, but sort of relates to a new loud horn. Pedestrian warning.

This is my solution for now:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/4OXxdMmOBgc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very clever. Not for me, but very clever. By the way, nice towncar horn! I'm very happy with the one suggested on this forum but that one does sound mighty nice :)

Does anyone know where the actual alarm horn is located in the car? I did replace the stock horn with the El Grandes but the alarm horn does not activate that. I fired off the alarm in an attempt to locate it but no luck. My idea is to somehow tie the alarm horn into the El Grandes. Thanks.

+1. Pretty sure the stock alarm wouldn't scare anyone.

vin944 said:
Does anyone know where the actual alarm horn is located in the car? I did replace the stock horn with the El Grandes but the alarm horn does not activate that. I fired off the alarm in an attempt to locate it but no luck. My idea is to somehow tie the alarm horn into the El Grandes. Thanks.

When I listen using the fob lock car button I can hear the little beeping sound. Hard to pinpoint though. I think it comes from the passenger side down low. Probably have to remove the bottom panel as if doing a bottom side horn mod.

This sound from the keyfob lock is the same sound as the car alarm so they are both using this noisemaker/horn.

If anyone knows where this noisemaker is located, it would be much appreciated.

vin944 said:
It's in front of the right (passenger) wheel, easy to get at if you remove a few bolts from the bottom cover. I pulled this out and simply ran a jumper over to my new loud horns, so now the same horns fire off if the security system goes off.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
vin944 said:
It's in front of the right (passenger) wheel, easy to get at if you remove a few bolts from the bottom cover. I pulled this out and simply ran a jumper over to my new loud horns, so now the same horns fire off if the security system goes off.

-Phil
Thanks Phil!

Just finished replacing the horn with the EL Grande twins. I did it a bit differently in that I removed the horn bracket and did not re-use it. I attached the horns vertically to the center brace using the original bolt and the brackets that came with the horn. They fit facing down OK one above the other. This way I didn't have to use the flimsy original horn bracket. It's tight, but you can do it with a bit of patience. Thank you all for the photos and advice.

I also upgraded with the two horn Fiamm El Grande solution. It works -- is apparently louder -- but sounds like... well.. your garden variety chevy impala! (Not that there's anything wrong with that!). Good value, though. Thanks!

AP1 said:
Just finished replacing the horn with the EL Grande twins. I did it a bit differently in that I removed the horn bracket and did not re-use it. I attached the horns vertically to the center brace using the original bolt and the brackets that came with the horn. They fit facing down OK one above the other. This way I didn't have to use the flimsy original horn bracket. It's tight, but you can do it with a bit of patience. Thank you all for the photos and advice.

did you go in from the top?

AP1 said:
I attached the horns vertically to the center brace using the original bolt and the brackets that came with the horn.

I did that too. I also pressed that seemingly redundant bolt (below the original horn bracket bolt) into service for the second horn's bracket:

283857_10150277865149844_704969843_7539324_5881276_n.jpg

228899_10150277862534844_704969843_7539280_105840_n.jpg

did you go in from the top?
I did. It was easy to set the tank off to the side without spilling any fluid. It may have been easier to place the new horn from the bottom because there's less "junk" in your way and you are closer to the attachment point.

Back