Only Three Handles?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready2plugin

Okay, I know the LEAF is not the first car to do this, but it is the first one that I've owned that only has three interior handles above the doors...all but the drivers side. My only guess is that it makes it easier to keep two hands on the steering wheel. Currently my hand keeps going up there to try to grab something....I guess I'll get use to it, but right now it's very annoying. I'm debating having one installed. Anyone else have this problem?

Heh, I noticed this too. I think more often than not the handle is missing from the drivers position. I appreciate the fact that my Prius does have one for the driver. I find it comes in handy for repositioning oneself in the seat.

I'm gonna guess the mounts are there so you probably only need to acquire the handle and the screws/bolts to install one for the driver. If you do let us know how it goes.

I just checked out the loaner Nissan Cube in my garage and it has the handle above the driver's door. My 2003 Infiniti G35 "near luxury" sedan lacked one, though. In its place, it had a strange plastic panel with a slot in it for holding parking stubs or something. I ordered a handle and replaced the slotted panel.

Seems like most cars don't include one for the driver. The exception is in trucks, where you might need it to climb into the cab.

Otherwise you have a big round handle right in front of you, so why would you need another?

Some people refer to these handles a s**t bars, as the only time you generally see passengers use them is right after they exclaim "OH S**T!" =)

I haven't even noticed if there is one for the driver in my Prius, and I'd like to think I'm observant!

My Subaru has 4 handles and I have become accustomed to having it as the driver. I constantly hold it with my left hand while I'm cruising along.

I did some research and the UK Leaf has one on their passenger's side and not their driver's side. This leads me to be 99% certain that the mounting plate is present behind the roof liner on the driver's side of either car (US or UK).

I called a Nissan parts department and the handle (all 3 are identical) is part 739403NA0A. It ranges from $35-$45 + tax depending on who you order it from. I'm thinking of picking one up but if anyone does, please let us know.

EricBayArea said:
I called a Nissan parts department and the handle (all 3 are identical) is part 739403NA0A. It ranges from $35-$45 + tax depending on who you order it from. I'm thinking of picking one up but if anyone does, please let us know.
Hmm... Does it come with screws? I might just want to pick one up... :D

DarkStar said:
EricBayArea said:
Hmm... Does it come with screws? I might just want to pick one up... :D

I asked the parts guy the same thing. He said that the catalog only indicated 1 part number so he assumes it does. However, if it doesn't, he said he'd have to see one of the other screws visually to figure out a part number for it - since it's not listed.

Town Nissan, Wenatchee WA 509-662-5125
$33.66 Depoted at Memphis, TN
In Stock-Memphis 3-5 days availability

Screws unknown!

BLUEH20 said:
Town Nissan, Wenatchee WA 509-662-5125
$33.66 Depoted at Memphis, TN
In Stock-Memphis 3-5 days availability

Screws unknown!

Wish my local dealer would sell it for that price. Its still probably cheaper to buy it somewhere else and pay shipping than to buy it locally for more plus tax. However, I'm thinking that $50 may be better spent on front door speakers than the handle :)

Maybe that is why they eliminated it; it is dangerous... With one hand there and one hand on the wheel, you have significantly reduced control in an emergency avoidance situation...

EricBayArea said:
My Subaru has 4 handles and I have become accustomed to having it as the driver. I constantly hold it with my left hand while I'm cruising along.

Don't know why anyone would want to use the handle while driving other than to reposition one's self in their seat. However my father uses it to help him get in and out of his car, for elderly folks or someone with back pain it is very convenient.

Back