Climate control Fogs up car!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sattelitemckane

The weather starting to get cold in the Pacific NW and I now am trying to set the climate while the car is charging with the computer. Works fine except that the windows fog up. I am guessing it is because it is not using the outside air when climate control is activated. It defeats the purpose if I have to open the windows to clear the car out after I start driving. I am trying cracking the window a bit before I plug in but that is easy to forget, so I end up going to the garage turning on the car cracking the window going back upstairs and setting the climate control. Kind of silly. Does anyone have any hints for why this happens or what to do about it?

Thanks

It is on AC always but seems to turn itself to recirculating with the climate control remote activation. I have read in other posts that it does this always, not sure why.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is much you can do except leave a window open. We are not able to set any climate control settings when using the timer or remote turn on, and it sure does go to recirculate.

I have been using remote climate control turn on the last couple of days and not had the fogging problem, but I keep my buggy in the garage and have the front windows open a crack. As you probably know, if you do select defrost, it will go to fresh air, but you can't do that remotely. :cry:

Bill

Here is a question for everyone using climate timers in cold weather:

What happens when you get to the car during climate operation and change the settings on the a/c heat system? so you are still plugged in to L2 but not charging, climate timer kicks in

you get out to car (outside) and jump in and change to defrost setting ?

does the climate operate off the pack or off L2 , ?

does it work at all ? or do you have to turn the car on to change the climate settings?

thanks in advance!

EVSE connected, remotely turn on climate control.

AC on, Recirculate on.

Press defrost, defrost button and fresh air buttons flash, return to above. Nothing changes.

Press mode button. Same as above, buttons flash and nothing changes.

Turn car on, climate control turns off.

It appears that remote climate control does one of two things - it either heats or cools the car, both with recirculated air. There are no options.

Bill

This is disappointing to hear as. I plan on using preheat often in the am before leaving work.

It is curious why the fogging .? When the a/c is on at 77 degrees as in climate pre condition doesn't the ac comp operate?

If it is it should be dehumidifying the interior even on recirc setting?......????

Strange

People don't complain of windows fogging up with the car on and set at auto 77. .?

So what's different about pre heat mode?

I'm having the same issue with window fogging here in the Pacific Northwest. This afternoon, I remotely turned on the climate control, 10 minutes later, all the windows were steamed up and the interior was like a steam room - temp was set at 70.

So after I unplugged and got into the car, I had to manually defrost using valuable juice even before backing out. Well, I did back out first cuz the camera did not fog up! :D

This is the first serious hinderence I've found in the LEAF since June when I brought it home. What happens when the temp drops to our normal 36 daytime?? :(

I hope that Nissan built in enough programmable functionality to resolve this in the future.

since the interior is fogging up from excess moisture it seems the a/c compressor is not being used during cold weather pre heat.

the a/c comp is certainly being used in the summer time pre condition period otherwide users would complain of a hot humid car when the pre condition on a 90 degree day

We def need to get this issure resolved and get some info maybe from an engineer at nissan as to why this occurs!!!!!!!

I see since you don't have your leaf yet ..you would be able to talk to your dealership about that, see what they say. I have contacted my dealer who also bought a leaf and he told me basically the same thing. He pre-warms the car and gets in and defrosts for minute or two before leaving. Not ideal, but hopefully they will correct it! :?

sattelitemckane said:
Thanks folks,

I am just going to have to get get used to cracking the window when in the garage!
I've not used preheating in a while - I don't remember the fogging. I'll try tomorrow.

In anycase, defog takes just seconds - but I guess as you drive it will fog once in a while and you will have to defog it whenever needed. Just an undocumented "feature" of the PNW.

I will try the cracking the windows scenario, but here in the PNW, garages are just as humid as the outside so I'm speculating that it won't be much better.

The other quirk I've noticed is that when the defroster is tured on, the fan speed is always very slow. Typically, in most other cars I've had, the fan runs at max when the defroster is started - reason being that if you are driving and conditions fog up your windows, it's a safety issue to defrost as soon as possible. :shock:

saywatt said:
I will try the cracking the windows scenario, but here in the PNW, garages are just as humid as the outside so I'm speculating that it won't be much better.

The other quirk I've noticed is that when the defroster is tured on, the fan speed is always very slow. Typically, in most other cars I've had, the fan runs at max when the defroster is started - reason being that if you are driving and conditions fog up your windows, it's a safety issue to defrost as soon as possible. :shock:
From what I've seen, defog is very fast, as fast as my old Maxima, if not faster - but its been a while I drove an ICE, so may be my momory is faulty.

Observed the same thing. Since I park outside cracking window is NOT an option.

Also noted when I turn on the climate control it also resumes charging the battery towards 100 percent even though I have the timer defined for 80 percent only.

stevewa said:
Also noted when I turn on the climate control it also resumes charging the battery towards 100 percent even though I have the timer defined for 80 percent only.
Interesting - are you turning on climate control remotely, or in the car? When I did a little test turning climate control on remotely, it did not try to change past 80%, and the blue charge lights did not come on. The far left light blinked, but the two rightmost were off. (as viewed from in the car)

Bill

kmp647 said:
since the interior is fogging up from excess moisture it seems the a/c compressor is not being used during cold weather pre heat.

I checked mine tonight. The ac IS on during remote actuated preheat - windows fog anyway.

Back