GM Explains EV Motor

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricBayArea

For those who aren't as knowledgeable about what goes into an electric motor (like me), this was a pretty neat video. I'm sure there are variations on everything they talk about, but as a general informational video I found it very cool. I liked the value they placed in producing it as well.

Electric Motors 101

GM also has a few other (less cool) videos about manufacturing specific parts of the motor. Here's a list of them.

Thanks for sharing this, Eric. There is a blog post on the same topic by Walley Rippel, an industry veteran and principal power electronics engineer at Tesla. It's quite excellent and makes for a good read:

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/induction-versus-dc-brushless-motors" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, Robert Llewellyn did a Fully Charged episode on the topic. It's is fun and much less technical:

http://www.youtube.com/user/fullychargedshow#p/u/13/6m_iIbX0gmA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EricBayArea said:
For those who aren't as knowledgeable about what goes into an electric motor (like me), this was a pretty neat video. I'm sure there are variations on everything they talk about, but as a general informational video I found it very cool. I liked the value they placed in producing it as well.

While a nice try, I doubt the average person will gain anything from watching this video. If they really wanted people to understand, they'd have zoomed in and explained what the different parts actually do. While people are trying to read the text on the video, they won't be able to look at what it is talking about. That is why some narration would have been better.

I consider myself a pretty fast reader and knowledgeable about the subject, but even I had to pause or rewind that first video a few times to catch everything. Content is okay but they could have explained how induction motors work a LOT better though - because they basically didn't explain it at all.

=Smidge=

Admittedly I did pause it to read the text as well. Still, I thought it was a neat video. I found myself googling the pro/con differences between the two types of motors. Would have liked the video to explain that.

I watched the video and thought it provided some very interesting information. I had to use the pause button to be able to read and think about the text. I like that this was not a fancy ad for GM stuff, just a straight video educating folks about the differences between a PM motor and an induction motor.

it was a fun video, interesting how they glue/embed in the PMs in the rotor, does not look like they will ever come out.. and that is good at 10k RPM!

Back