Hardwiring problems with Blink

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

umonka

My Blink charger has problems with the Wifi connection ( Dlink 825, only 18feet away from charger) so I ran an ethernet cable directly from the router to the charger, but this is not working either. There is a connection (IP 192.168.0.195) but no communication nor internet. For some reason I cannot even manually configure the LAN connection on the Blink ( which BTW also seems to be terribly slow in recognizing any input on the touchscreen): The IP input line stays grey and cannot be configured.

If anyone has a hardwired connection working:
a. which router ( brand? model? - cable?dsl?) are you using
b. how did you configure the Blink to ( or how did you tell the Blink that you want to use the wired connection rather than keep trying to connect via Wifi )

A list of working devices/configurations (brand/model) would probably be helpful for all of us who have these connection problems...

Cheers!

I assume that you have tried the obvious: Unplug the blink from the power outlet, wait a minute or two, and plug it in again. It should then take you through the configuration screens, including the option of wifi or network.

Yes, I recommend getting the Blink number in your speed dial. I've used it not just for my own problematic Blink (didn't charge yesterday), but I've also called several times on the few public Blinks we have in San Diego. Just called in one of the Blinks at Balboa Park last Saturday.

Yes tried restarting and if it wasn't charging without the connection i would have not enjoyed having the car since June, but charging with the Leaf's timer does not work: as soon as I connect the cable the charging begins, which kind of overruns the effort I made by getting a second meter installed ( which cost me a substantial couple thousand bucks, because I had to relocate my entire panel for that upgrade ).
Blink wants me to install a second router ( cisco Valet - which will not replace my other router because I still need that for my home network) ) and I really do not want another wireless transmitter around, actually working on eliminating that entire e-smog as much as possible...
Does anyone use a ASUS RT-N56U without issues? ( this router has all the other requirements I would need for my network...)

umonka said:
Blink wants me to install a second router ( cisco Valet - which will not replace my other router because I still need that for my home network) ) and I really do not want another wireless transmitter around, actually working on eliminating that entire e-smog as much as possible...
They told me the same thing, even though I currently run two Netgear routers (different models), one for routing/NAS/802.11n and the other as an 802.11bg AP. I ended up getting a Netgear WNCE2001 and installing it inside of the Blink, works like a champ!

DarkStar said:
umonka said:
They told me the same thing, even though I currently run two Netgear routers (different models), one for routing/NAS/802.11n and the other as an 802.11bg AP. I ended up getting a Netgear WNCE2001 and installing it inside of the Blink, works like a champ!

I had the Blink contractor out last week after persistent problems with error signals from the Blink. I could charge after rebooting but that was a hassle. On the second visit the contractor thought the wifi signal was weak, although it did communicate with the Blink. So he added a PLC (Alfa Netorks, HomePlug AV PowerLine AHPE303) and changed SD card again. So far, the unit works. Now if only the software for monitoring energy usage would work, I would be a happy camper. I can only see the log from Apr 22 to bout May 22, 2011. Blink couldn't tell me how to change the log data to see recent energy consumption. Maybe someone else has figured that out.

umonka said:
... but charging with the Leaf's timer does not work: as soon as I connect the cable the charging begins, which kind of overruns the effort I made by getting a second meter installed ( which cost me a substantial couple thousand bucks, because I had to relocate my entire panel for that upgrade ). ...
I can't see any way that the Blink could make the LEAF start charging early if your LEAF timer is set correctly no matter what's wrong with it. Try the timer with the L1 EVSE and see if that works.

As far as hard wiring the network, I have my Blink directly connected to my home network (Netgear router). I ended up giving the Blink a static IP address before it finally connected and worked consistently. Do you have proper link lights at the router? Have you tested the connection with a laptop or some other device to verify it's wired correctly?

I concur with everything Davewill says.
I have a ethernet connection, too.
Your problem with regard to car timer not working has nothing to do with the Blink.
You need to reexamine how you have set your charger in the Leaf and be sure the Blink timer is not set.

My Blink has had issues, but it has always charged.

Also, you should change your headline. The word "hardwired" is misleading, causing folks to think you have an electrical problem not a connectivity issue.

Folks, we have far to many threads on the Blink unit. Please post in one of the existing threads.

Thanks!

davewill said:
umonka said:
... but charging with the Leaf's timer does not work: as soon as I connect the cable the charging begins, which kind of overruns the effort I made by getting a second meter installed ( which cost me a substantial couple thousand bucks, because I had to relocate my entire panel for that upgrade ). ...
I can't see any way that the Blink could make the LEAF start charging early if your LEAF timer is set correctly no matter what's wrong with it. Try the timer with the L1 EVSE and see if that works.

As far as hard wiring the network, I have my Blink directly connected to my home network (Netgear router). I ended up giving the Blink a static IP address before it finally connected and worked consistently. Do you have proper link lights at the router? Have you tested the connection with a laptop or some other device to verify it's wired correctly?

Also wired to an SMC WGBR14-N with static IP address in the Blink. Make sure the static address is either outside DHCP server range or in the middle of a wider range. Other way you may run into conflicts if the DHCP server assigns the same address to a computer.
The test network feature in the Blink fails 99% of the time, in my case a useless feature. But the unit has been working (recording/reporting usage, downloading updates and charging) without any issues since June.

I called Blink today and took the time to go over the issues: while I can still not connect to the charger from my computer as well as the unit not confirming internet, it does connect to Blink's network. We'll wait and see...

But here is a list of routers Blink emailed me today that they know have difficulties:

· Belkin
F5D8235-4
N modem default to G Enhanced wireless Router N150

· Cisco Linksys
WRT54G2V1
Wirless G Broadband Router

· Belkin
F5D8230-4
Wireless Pre-N Router

· D-Link
DIR-815
Wireless N Dual band Router 2.4GHz and 5 GHZ simultaneous

· NETGEAR
WNR1000
N150 Wireless router

As for the timer setting: I have set my timer in the car to charge at a specific time and only until is reaches 80% and made sure the timer is set to ON.
But as soon as I connect the Blink plug the charging begins: the blue lights on the dash are blinking in the charging mode.
The Blink guys added the function of a schedule to my dashboard (Blinks Browser tool) - but there is no option to let the car take control of the charging schedule: so I am not sure how I can make sure I am only getting 80% charges.

I will try to hook it up with the L1 EVSE and see if the car's timer is working properly.

umonka said:
As for the timer setting: I have set my timer in the car to charge at a specific time and only until is reaches 80% and made sure the timer is set to ON.
But as soon as I connect the Blink plug the charging begins: the blue lights on the dash are blinking in the charging mode.
The Blink guys added the function of a schedule to my dashboard (Blinks Browser tool) - but there is no option to let the car take control of the charging schedule: so I am not sure how I can make sure I am only getting 80% charges.

I will try to hook it up with the L1 EVSE and see if the car's timer is working properly.
Just to be clear. I have no timers set on my Blink. My weekend Leaf timer is set for 80% charge, no start time, end time 8:00 AM. My weekday timer is the same except 100%.

I plug my Leaf into my Blink in the evening and the Leaf goes into timer wait mode (sequential blinking blue lights). Sometime during the night, depending on my current charge, charging starts and ends between 7AM and 7:30 (typically).

I'm sure it works the same for almost all Leaf/Blink owners.

With how I understand a EVSE to work, I cannot see how the Blink could affect the operation of the Leaf timers (assuming no timers are set on the Blink).

I hope this helps.

umonka said:

Best way to do this: Set up BOTH timers. On the BLINK, set the charging period to be 12 midnight to 6 AM. On the Leaf, set the charging start time to be 12:30AM. Then just plug in the Leaf the night you want to charge. The Blink won't let anything happen until after midnight and the car will stop charging when it is done. I was told to set the max charge to 80%.

Back