Aerovironment EVSE install information

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Asking for a "custom" install bid ...
the least expensive so far (connecting 3 wires to an existing junction box), is about $1500 total (including the EVSE, no permit required).

Apparently "custom" bids can be higher or LOWER than the "standard" $2100 to $2350 (or so) bid.

EVDRIVER said:
storeman86 said:
I just got my quote back from AV for a garage installed wall mounted charger. I was informed AV charges a fixed price for the easy installs then goes up from there. My was an easy install. I have a 50Amp 220v plug already installed when the house was built just for the EV charger station. So I am being charged $1,199.90 to install 2 bolts and plug in the unit, plus $150 for a permit not need because it's plugged in therefore it's an appliance by my city building Dept. Permits were previously made for the plug when the house was built. Then $49.95 for shipping, $721.12 for the wall unit and $70.31 for California sales tax.

:D Seems to me the 32A 220v plug-in Leviton unit is going to be a much better deal. I'm just waiting for Leviton to publish there plug-in price.

It seems AV is going to need to clue in quickly or loose quite a bit of business. From day one I never thought "labor" was actual labor but more like "margin" disguised as labor. They know about this but are ignoring it to see if it sticks. WE need an AV "group buy", LOL.

I AGREE ABOUT A GROUP BUY! Or at least we ALL need to call AV and tell them that we just want to buy the home charger to get it installed by our own licensed electrician. I ALREADY CALLED THEM (AV) and told them that I just want to buy their home charging station. They said they put me down on the "list".

JPC2822 said:
EVDRIVER said:
storeman86 said:
I just got my quote back from AV for a garage installed wall mounted charger. I was informed AV charges a fixed price for the easy installs then goes up from there. My was an easy install. I have a 50Amp 220v plug already installed when the house was built just for the EV charger station. So I am being charged $1,199.90 to install 2 bolts and plug in the unit, plus $150 for a permit not need because it's plugged in therefore it's an appliance by my city building Dept. Permits were previously made for the plug when the house was built. Then $49.95 for shipping, $721.12 for the wall unit and $70.31 for California sales tax.

:D Seems to me the 32A 220v plug-in Leviton unit is going to be a much better deal. I'm just waiting for Leviton to publish there plug-in price.

It seems AV is going to need to clue in quickly or loose quite a bit of business. From day one I never thought "labor" was actual labor but more like "margin" disguised as labor. They know about this but are ignoring it to see if it sticks. WE need an AV "group buy", LOL.

I AGREE ABOUT A GROUP BUY! Or at least we ALL need to call AV and tell them that we just want to buy the home charger to get it installed by our own licensed electrician. I ALREADY CALLED THEM (AV) and told them that I just want to buy their home charging station. They said they put me down on the "list".

Good idea on asking to buy it outright, if they say list I would press the date for delivery. Once enough people refuse their insane rates on some bids things should change.

storeman86 said:
I just got my quote back from AV for a garage installed wall mounted charger. I was informed AV charges a fixed price for the easy installs then goes up from there. My was an easy install. I have a 50Amp 220v plug already installed when the house was built just for the EV charger station. So I am being charged $1,199.90 to install 2 bolts and plug in the unit, plus $150 for a permit not need because it's plugged in therefore it's an appliance by my city building Dept. Permits were previously made for the plug when the house was built. Then $49.95 for shipping, $721.12 for the wall unit and $70.31 for California sales
AV's unit cannot be plugged in. Their installer will remove your plug and hard wire their dock to your 50A wire. They will also replace your 50A breaker with a 40A breaker. They will need a permit to do these things.

Obviously you do not want to accept their bid.

A little birdie told me that the Aerovironment EVSE has an actual cost to manufacture of $170.

I haven't been able to verify that yet with a second source, but was wondering if anyone else had heard similarly

smkettner said:
I honestly believe a 50a appliance cord from Home Depot could be attached to the wall unit and it could just be plugged in.
Anyway that is my plan.

Yes, it can.

EVDRIVER said:
smkettner said:
I honestly believe a 50a appliance cord from Home Depot could be attached to the wall unit and it could just be plugged in.
Anyway that is my plan.

Yes, it can.
Which, of course, will give AV an excuse to void the warranty. So the choice is Leviton (and others) or AV (with possibly no warranty). Up to the user to decide which of these units to buy based on design/attractivness, portability, durability, price, etc.

I sent an email to Aerovironment asking for information on how to purchase one of their level 2 chargers last week. I got this reply today:

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your inquiry, as well as for your interest in AeroVironment's Electric Vehicle Charging Docks. Recently, it became an option for customers to purchase the charging dock without the installation. We do not recommend purchasing the home charging dock as a separate item from the installation. There are safety differences between this product and a regular appliance that make sit a risk for someone without proper training to attempt installing it themselves. The benefits of having AV handle the installation:

3 Year full on-site warranty vs 3 year parts only return warranty
Certified trained electricians will do the job the right way the first time.
Installation that complies with all regulations applicable to their location.
We handle pulling all required permits.
Fully tested charger using AV proprietary service tool, knowing the unit will work before the car is delivered.
Face to face tutorial and informative "How-to" training.
Cost is competitive, particularly when you add possible tax credits.
Peace of mind knowing a reputable long standing leader and pioneer in this industry is 100% behind the installation and the product.

If purchasing the charging dock alone is still something you are interested in, please let me know. Because this is a new item we are offering, I can take down you contact and shipping information, and then we will contact you when we are ready to proceed with selling the charging dock alone.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to call or email me directly.

Sincerely
--
Sarah Scholvinck
AeroVironment, Inc.
Installation Network Coordinator

[email protected]

Tel: (626) 357-9983 ext. 572
Fax: (626) 301-9532

So it looks like the pressure to be able to self install is working. I would recommend everyone write or call this person to express your interest in doing a self-install or managing your installation with your own electrician.

This is very positive news.

Can someone tell me what I need to ask from my local electrician if I want to avoid the high AV install charge?

Install a new 220V 40 amp circuit? Do they need some special outlet to connect to the AV unit? Seems like the Leviton unit is more friendly to independent installers. I should also ask for a 120V GFCI 20amp plug at the same time in the same area for backup?

thanks,
Peter

prberg said:
Can someone tell me what I need to ask from my local electrician if I want to avoid the high AV install charge?

Install a new 220V 40 amp circuit? Do they need some special outlet to connect to the AV unit? Seems like the Leviton unit is more friendly to independent installers. I should also ask for a 120V GFCI 20amp plug at the same time in the same area for backup?

thanks,
Peter
That is it, you have it right. Just no outlet connector as the EVSE is supposed to be hardwired.
A 120v connector should be very little extra.

smkettner said:
That is it, you have it right. Just no outlet connector as the EVSE is supposed to be hardwired.

Not correct. AV EVSE needs to be hardwired. But Leviton one will plug into the right recepticle. The recepticle dpends on the EVSE you buy - could be 6-20 or 6-50 etc.

OrientExpress said:
This is very positive news.

Very interesting. I got the "No" answer to the same question just two weeks ago.

But realistically, who is going to buy the AV unit and self-install or hire an electrician to install it who knows nothing about it, and have no recourse if it doesn't work?

I certainly won't. If AV's business plan is to overcharge for simple labor or else to sell the unit without any warranty, they'll fail at this product line. Of course, they have our $100 apiece already, just for giving us all an outrageously priced estimate. Then they'll cash in on the unsophisticated early adopters and people with more money than sense.

I'd be much more likely to go with Leviton's unit which is not being marketed as rocket science and can be plugged in.

Leviton is still saying that their pre-wire unit needs to be installed by a Leviton-trained electrician, though, right? Where do I find such an electrician?

Back