Going All Electric

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTechno

I spent a week in the LEAF and talked about it on radio. I also posted two videos below. One is my review, the other is making my 20 mile trip home, on the highway at night, with just 22 remaining miles of range indicated. Although I'm new to the LEAF, I'm not new to electric vehicles. Driving the LEAF reminded me of getting my SEGWAY. I won a contest that made me one of the first two dozen SEGWAY owners in the country (no, I didn't get it for free!). The horn blowing, the thumbs-up signals, the questions I got, was all repeated with the LEAF. It's clear that a ton of people really want to make the leap to electric!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1B4ncIJJH8[/youtube] [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As2K8UY_MNo[/youtube]

I found that it's fun to go all electric. It also takes some getting used to. The Nissan LEAF helps you make the transition...but you have to learn that your lead-footed ways have a real impact on how far you can drive.

The LEAF is peppy off the line....a great looking car....but a little mushy when it comes to handling. But, then again, sports-car handling is probably NOT why you buy a Leaf. You buy it to drive past gas stations. The LEAF is a pretty roomy car for its size and offers a quiet cabin that's made even better by the absence of a gas engine! There's a lot of headroom, although you'll have to duck your head a bit to get out of the back seats. The rear seat, located above the batteries, elevates you above the front seats. On the up-side, the seat height in back gives you better visibility. LEAF is an acronym for Leading, Environmentally friendly, Affordable, Family car.

On city and suburban streets the LEAF is fantastic. A hands-down winner. Driving the expressway, however, sucks up power in a hurry.The LEAF is rated at 100-miles per charge...but that'll shrink to 60 or 70 if you're a more aggressive, highway driver. The treat is that most public charging stations I found were FREE, because they're new. Imagine GASSING up your car for free. Using them, and the at-home charger, worked great for my daily commute. A word of warning, since the public chargers are seldom-used, they're not always ready to go. The first parking lot I visited had two chargers that were not working, the second had two that apeared fine but couldn't be turned on by the remote ChargePoint operator. I had a third occassion where units couldn't be turned on. If you're going to drive an electric plug-in, get a ChargePoint access card to help you use their public charging units.

Since it takes time to recharge a LEAF, you have to plan ahead for any trips that'll take you far from your base. If not, you'll find yourself driving on the edge, developing a case of range anxiety, and wondering why you ever went all-electric. Be sure to see the short video below. With 22 miles left on my LEAF battery, I set out for home 20 miles away. The battery is nearly done, it's chilly, at night, and the drive is almost all highway. But, I did it on purpose and learned a bit in the process.

The sticker price of the LEAF we drove was $35,410. It's eligible for the $7,500 federal tax credit and a rebate from the State of Illinois. The amount of the Illinois rebate is 10 percent of the base retail price of the vehicle, not including add-on equipment options, up to $4,000. The only vehicles eligible for a 10 percent rebate amount are new electric vehicles purchased from an Illinois dealership.

During my time with the LEAF, I learned that you get a lot of attention driving an electric car and you also get a lot of questions. There are many people who want to get off the gas pump for good. It isn't for everybody, but you can continue to turn-over that gas engine...or you can decide to turn over a new LEAF.

By the way, this week I'm test driving a Cadillac Escalade. I've noticed a subtle difference....

Ed Curran
FM News Chicago
http://fmnewschicago.com/testdrive

Great videos. Do you know if you drove a 2011 or 2012? There's been some talk that the handling is improved in the 2012, but nothing has been confirmed that I've found yet.

MrTechno said:
Driving the expressway, however, sucks up power in a hurry. [...]
By the way, this week I'm test driving a Cadillac Escalade. I've noticed a subtle difference....
Driving the the Escalade at 70 will also suck up power. But gas cars hide this fact well!

you'll find yourself driving on the edge,
Yes, and quite successfully, once you learn what it can do.
developing a case of range anxiety
Yes again, as you learn
and wondering why you ever went all-electric.
Nope. Not sorry, and not going back! :D

Thanks for sharing, and for putting some real effort in your research.

NYLEAF said:
Great videos. Do you know if you drove a 2011 or 2012? There's been some talk that the handling is improved in the 2012, but nothing has been confirmed that I've found yet.

2011 but I expect to be in a 2012 asap.

We have had our Leaf since May, and the range thing is really a non-issue. We drive the car about 60 ~ 70 miles a day with combined city and highway driving, and sometimes we get the "8 mile Low battery" warning at the end of the day, but one time we decided to see how much further we could actually go if we kept driving.

So the Low battery alarm came on with an indicated 8 miles of battery left. After 25 miles of driving around the area, we finally came home and we still had 8 miles left on the "estimated" mileage meter. The car never did go into "turtle" mode. I guess that is why the range meter is also called the "guess-o-meter"!

For us, the Leaf has become our primary car, and satisfies about 90% of our driving needs.

it seemed to me that you were always going to make it as you never dipped into the below-the-red-bar charge supply.

as to the review, it is pretty much what we already now, and it is OK to see it repeated.
as to this:
LEAF is an acronym for Leading, Environmentally friendly, Affordable, Family car.
I have never heard that before.
anyone else think this is incorrect?

gbarry42 said:
MrTechno said:
Driving the expressway, however, sucks up power in a hurry. [...]
Driving the the Escalade at 70 will also suck up power. But gas cars hide this fact well!

you'll find yourself driving on the edge,
Yes, and quite successfully, once you learn what it can do.
developing a case of range anxiety
Yes again, as you learn
and wondering why you ever went all-electric.
Nope. Not sorry, and not going back! :D

Thanks for sharing, and for putting some real effort in your research.

Thank you.... By the way, the 2012 Escalade ESV AWD has an MPG of 13 City and 18 highway. The sticker is $85,095. :D

thankyouOB said:
it seemed to me that you were always going to make it as you never dipped into the below-the-red-bar charge supply.

as to the review, it is pretty much what we already now, and it is OK to see it repeated.
as to this:
LEAF is an acronym for Leading, Environmentally friendly, Affordable, Family car.

Yes, it has been around for a long time:)

thankyouOB said:
as to this:
If one can say the video covers "pretty much what we already (k)now",
then you would think one would know this is the correct acronym/backronym. ;)

Video was fine for someone that is just being introduced to the Leaf.
And, the guy has a good voice for radio/TV ....

JPVLeaf said:
thankyouOB said:
as to this:
If one can say the video covers "pretty much what we already (k)now",
then you would think one would know this is the correct acronym/backronym. ;)

Video was fine for someone that is just being introduced to the Leaf.
And, the guy has a good voice for radio/TV ....

Thanks for the kind words...been doing this on radio/TV for a while. Keep in mind that it wasn't a piece aimed at this audience, but the broader audience that knows little about the car or its acronym (which, I believe, was first revealed at the LEAF's unveiling in 2009).

MrTechno said:
Thanks for the kind words...been doing this on radio/TV for a while. Keep in mind that it wasn't a piece aimed at this audience, but the broader audience that knows little about the car or its acronym (which, I believe, was first revealed at the LEAF's unveiling in 2009).

A good fluff piece that I think will work well for the intended audience. For a Chicago audience, I would definitely bring up the fact that driving in cold, with the heater blasting, will significantly impact range. You might also mention that it's a good idea to preheat with the in-car timer, or via your smart phone, or the Nissan CarWings web site (there's an aftermarket text message service also available).

The preheat will save some of the impact to the car's range in the cold.

As to your close call with range, perhaps you already know that it wasn't so close. There was plenty of reserve left, which you can get an idea of here.

MrTechno said:
If you're going to drive an electric plug-in, get a ChargePoint access card to help you use their public charging units.
Since it takes time to recharge a LEAF, you have to plan ahead for any trips that'll take you far from your base. If not, you'll find yourself driving on the edge, developing a case of range anxiety, and wondering why you ever went all-electric.
Ed Curran
FM News Chicago
http://fmnewschicago.com/testdrive

You should also tell them to get a Blink charging card as I'm sure there will be Blink charging stations there one of these days. Some of those may be CHAdeMO (not L3...those haven't been made yet) quick chargers so Chicago LEAF owners will need the QC port.
Maybe you could have told your listeners that the average L2 charge is only one to one and a half hours and the QC 80% charge is less than 30 minutes from one to no bars remaining.
If your LEAF drivers there know that the GOM is very inaccurate (you actually have two invisible bars once all 12 bars are gone) and use Tony's range chart, there would be NO range anxiety. I've talked to many ICE car drivers and a lot of them have told me they have had 'range anxiety' many times and have actually run out of gas. If LEAF drivers follow Tony's chart, no one will run out of juice.

OrientExpress said:
We have had our Leaf since May, and the range thing is really a non-issue. We drive the car about 60 ~ 70 miles a day with combined city and highway driving, and sometimes we get the "8 mile Low battery" warning at the end of the day, but one time we decided to see how much further we could actually go if we kept driving.

So the Low battery alarm came on with an indicated 8 miles of battery left. After 25 miles of driving around the area, we finally came home and we still had 8 miles left on the "estimated" mileage meter. The car never did go into "turtle" mode. I guess that is why the range meter is also called the "guess-o-meter"!

For us, the Leaf has become our primary car, and satisfies about 90% of our driving needs.

+1
Spot on except my LEAF satisfies 99% of my driving needs :cool:

Thanks, everybody, for all the great input. I can see the LEAF being a great car in our family. I've driven a Volt and will be able to get some extended time with it starting about a week from now. I know it'll be colder out but I'm curious to see how it does.

Back