EVSE Home Assessment Reports

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
Each PU has their own way of handling rates, special rates for EV, Solar, Commercial, etc.

Often, EV rates (if they exist at all in your PU), are lower for late-night charging, but HIGHER dyring the day. CAUTION

Our plan is .08 ALL the time EXCEPT from 3-6 PM weekdays. Weekends, holidays, and all other times are OFF-Peak. :) If by chance, you use your water heater, a/c, range, etc. during the PEAK times, it is around .34kwh. But we have a timer for the hot water heater and I just pre-cool at the lower rate for the a/c, and only cook with the mw. It's an awesome deal! I figure charging my LEAF will cost me less than .02/mi. :D

garygid said:
Possibly, your e-rate from your PU might also change when the Project ends.
I thought utility rates were always approved by some government agency, and published. Unless your utility has published a special rate for the project (which I find very unlikely) your rate is not going to change just because the project ends.

My utility (PG&E) has published a special rate for EV owners which is lower, between midnight and 7 AM, than any rate that people without an EV can get. But, as you later suggested, Gary, the rate can go very high during summer afternoons. Try $0.05/kWh nighttime vs. $0.30/kWh from 2 PM to 9 PM, and that's just if you don't use much electricity. It can go up to $0.66/kWh. (These are all weekday summer rates. Weekends allow lowest rates most of the time, and never go that high.)

SDG&E is "special" (not necessarily a good thing). There are going to be 3 experimental rates for the EVProject people. When the project ends, the 3 experimental rates will end and each person will have to select one of the then available rates.

pgrovetom said:
The Electrician from A-1 Electrical told me "you will be a standard install on which I'll make some money". This was just after explaining that he could only charge $750 additional if I had not had a garage 100A panel and needed to install a new panel plus the EVSE and wiring in my detached garage. The $750 would have been a good deal since the trenching and work would in my opinion far exceed $750 in labor and materials.
This is pretty amazing to me, as this is pretty much why AV says they quoted me around $10k! If I only have to pay $750 above the "standard" $2,200, I'd be happy.

Dav said:
SDG&E is "special" (not necessarily a good thing). There are going to be 3 experimental rates for the EVProject people. When the project ends, the 3 experimental rates will end and each person will have to select one of the then available rates.

Any idea of how long the project will run? Interestingly, one of the three experimental rates is already available with only one meter through SDG&E, and I'm presently using it with a PV system. It is the last of the three experimental rates described in this article:

http://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/san-diego-gas-electric-approved-for-time-of-use-ev-charging-pilot/

The three rates described in the article are:

1. The low group will be charged between $0.14-$0.17 per kilowatt hour for off-peak summer usage and all winter usage, and about $0.27 during peak summer hours.

2. The next group has a greater variation, with super off-peak rates being as low as $.076 in summer and summer peak reaching nearly $0.30 per kWh.

3. The high ratio group will be subject to an even greater spread, with charging rates as low as $0.067 in off-peak summer, contrasted with $0.33 and $0.38 per kWh for on-peak winter and summer usage, respectively.

Presently I'm on schedule DR-SES and the rates are the same as the first experimental rate. I haven't a clue about how it will be determined which of the three experimental rates you will be using when you get a Leaf in San Diego. I'm assuming that you have to be one one of the three rates if you are getting a free home charger as part of the DOE funded project.

Boomer23 said:
The AV electrician just left here. The contractor is Aliso Electric for my area.

General information, word of mouth from the AV guy to my electrician, so take with a grain of salt:
* Mine was only his second assessment. Someone in Newport Coast with a Tesla who's also getting a Leaf was his first appointment this morning.
* EVSE installations will begin October 1
* First Leaf deliveries will be around Dec 21
* My area will be among the first, but he had no real concrete info about San Diego timing

For my electrical installation:
1. My 100A panel will not need to be upgraded. I don't have house air conditioning or a pool or spa and no other large amperage hogs. He was only concerned about physical space on the panel and the physical location of my 30A solar system breakers in terms of heat generation and "nuisance" breaker trips due to heat. We found a 20A breaker that doesn't seem to power anything, so that may be able to be removed and provide extra space.

2. He'll give me a quote for a Southern Cal Edison (SCE) TOU meter, already mentioned by others, that will attach to the grid side of the panel and possibly make things even easier in terms of not disturbing the existing panel. He didn't know about SCE's charges for the additional meter, if any, or any additional monthly charges. He plans to find out in the next few days because he know's he'll be asked about that constantly.

3. My panel is mounted on the exterior wall of my rear bedroom wing and not convenient to the garage. He'll run conduit through an attic and across a patio cover to the garage and then flex conduit inside the garage. The run was estimated at 60 feet, which is longer than the 35 foot run that Nissan has been quoting as standard. I take that to mean extra cost for the materials and labor for the longer run. This may also mean that my City will require a cutoff switch in the garage since the main panel is not in line-of-sight to the EVSE.

4. We discussed running larger (one inch) conduit in place of the 3/4 inch, and/or running larger gauge wire (#6 instead of #8, I think) in case I get an EV with a larger capacity charger in the future. I think he'll quote me on the standard conduit and wiring run, and then a separate quote for larger wire and/or conduit.

5. I expect an email in the next 48 to 72 hours with a pricing estimate, which I'll post here. Not sure if the weekend will extend that timing.

6. I now have a paper image of the AV EVSE taped to my garage wall in the location of the future EVSE. The paper has the words "Your Home Charging Dock" and my home assessment number written on it. Since this is the first concrete evidence that I'm planning to get an EV, it's surprisingly fun to look at.

7. The electrician asked, and I agreed, to take pictures of the installation locations, the area of the conduit run, etc, to help with the estimate. No problem for me, but be aware if you have issues with photos being taken. He said the guy this morning didn't want him to take pictures.

8. As Kei said above, I was also asked if I wanted a quote on a 120v line for Level 1 charging. For me, especially because I'm limited on space on my panel, it would probably just be a GFCI receptacle replacing a standard receptacle in my garage. But there are some technical details that make that a little more complicated. I asked for that to be itemized separately.

-----

See the old evse assment thread here --> http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=594

Hello.
I am a LEAF reservation holder. AeroEnvironment or AV contracts it electricians to assess, give quotes and install the home charging stations. They sent an electrician to my home July 23rd. The electrician said that my install was "basic" and it would not be difficult. After inspecting my garage the electrician said it should be no more than the "$2,200" Nissan and AV are claiming the home charger costs (installation, wiring, etc).
The quote was supposed to take 2 to 3 days but in reality AeroEnvironment is taking close to two weeks (8 to 9 days) to return quotes. My friend who lives in Pasadena also got his quote from AV in 9 days. My friend's quote from AV was $2,340.
My quote from AeroEnvironment was $2,463. I believe that this quote is outrageous and that AV and/or its electricians are price gouging. The quote included the installation and wiring for a cost of $1,387. I had a professional licensed electrician come to my home August 5th to give me an estimate of installation and wiring of the home charging station. The electrician stated and drew up plans with a quote of $700! That is $763 LESS than the AV contracted electrician.
I called AV and they agreed that the price of their contracted electrician seems high. I asked about purchasing just the charging system. AV stated that I could do this although it would not have the warranty on installation or something. For the amount of money I am saving getting it installed by my own licensed electrician I can BUY another charging dock if something goes wrong. The electrician I had said that his work has a warranty of 5 years!

At the SDG&E and Etec meeting, they said a dual meter will cost $9 and change per month. The connecter cable will be 18 ft long. SDG&E will have special low peak rate EV owner. Check with your power guys. bpeachy

garygid said:
A NEW special EV rate at SDG&E, fo everybody, or the 3 special EV rates for EVProject people only?

Good question. There are a lot more questions than answers about this. Maybe I should make some calls to SDG&E and see if I can get lucky and get through to someone who knows some answers.

I've been waiting 40 days for my EVSE installation quote.

I was one of the first to get an assessment, on July 1. I've had a few conversations with Nissan and AV, with apologies and reassurances from both for the delay. All the while, my account on the Nissan site read "Looking forward to seeing you on July 1." :?

I recently took one of those surveys on the Nissan site "Please rate our web site" and told them I was not impressed. A day or so later, my account now reads "We visited you on 8/10/2010. We'll get back to you with a detailed quote on 72 hours." The visit date is inaccurate by 40 days. We'll see how soon they respond with a quote.

Oh, and the site also says "Amount Charged $-1". So I'm waiting eagerly to see that dollar in the mail soon. :lol:

I'm bracing myself for a quote resembling Cinmar's quote. I don't need trenching, but I have a packed 100 amp panel with 30 amp breakers for my solar PV system and a conduit run of more than 60 feet from the panel to the garage. I also asked the AV contracted electrician to investigate and quote on a separate TOU meter from my utility, SCE. So they might be taking some time to get the details on that from SCE.

Meanwhile, I got an independent quote to just install a new 40 amp 220V breaker and wiring, conduit and a new junction box in the garage. This quote was $1,783.

Boomer23 said:
Meanwhile, I got an independent quote to just install a new 40 amp 220V breaker and wiring, conduit and a new junction box in the garage. This quote was $1,783.

Bloody hell! That seems a bit pricey. It will be interesting how much AV quotes you under the same circumstances.

For that matter, it will be interesting what they want to charge me too. With the exception of the HOA paperwork, mine has got to be the easiest install going!

mwalsh said:
For that matter, it will be interesting what they want to charge me too. With the exception of the HOA paperwork, mine has got to be the easiest install going!

My guess - $1,000 extra to read & understand the HOA paperwork.

Boomer23 said:
A day or so later, my account now reads "We visited you on 8/10/2010. We'll get back to you with a detailed quote on 72 hours." The visit date is inaccurate by 40 days. We'll see how soon they respond with a quote.

Oh, and the site also says "Amount Charged $-1". So I'm waiting eagerly to see that dollar in the mail soon. :lol:
For what it's worth, I had similar switching, although clearly not as drastic as yours. My date was 7/12, and it used to say that, but at some point it changed and now it claims my date was 7/28. I called Nissan and they claimed their system still showed the 12th, and couldn't explain why the website now thinks I was visited on the 28th. I also have the $-1 charge.

I just Recieved my Assesment quote from July 19 for 2376.48. I already have 200A service and just had solar installed. I had the solar installer add a 50 Amp Breaker and RV style 220V 50A outlet for the Electric car (he charged me for the parts only). $1,400 for installation seems outragous, the breaker, conduit and wiring are already in place.

Has anyone considered using the Tesla Universal Mobile Connector? For $1,500 all I would have to do is plug it in...

chris1howell said:
Has anyone considered using the Tesla Universal Mobile Connector? For $1,500 all I would have to do is plug it in...
I think the AV connector itself is half the Tesla model by reading other posts. I plan to just get the unit and add my own cord if needed. A 50a appliance cord from Home Depot should be fine. I think other wall units will be even less $$ once they all roll out and start competing on price. I am set up similar to you as my home was prewired with a NEMA 14-50R connector, #8 wire, 40a breaker. I would assume the Tesla connector has a rating above the 3.3kw requirement of the Leaf.

Has anyone else heard grumbling from the independent electricians about the installs?

My understanding is that they are being required to do the assessments without being paid for them. The agreement is that if the assessed customer decides to go ahead, that independent electrician will be offered the job.

In addition to not being paid to do the assessments, I also hear whispers that AV is not going to pay the electrician much to do the install. The payment is going to be something closer to, or below, the standard labor rates for the electrician. If you have a "normal" install that should take a couple of hours - the electrician is only going to be paid a few hundred dollars for it. Apparently AV is looking to pocket the majority of the funds.

So buying your own charger unit and hiring your own electrician seems like it makes everyone happy but AV.

mwalsh said:
Boomer23 said:

Bloody hell! That seems a bit pricey. It will be interesting how much AV quotes you under the same circumstances.

I may have been misleading in my post. The $1,783 quote also includes a 70 foot one inch conduit run and wiring, which involves running the conduit through an attic space and across an atrium garden along an exterior wall. It also mentioned using a new quad breaker because of the crowded existing panel.

Boomer23 said:
mwalsh said:
Boomer23 said:

I may have been misleading in my post. The $1,783 quote also includes a 70 foot one inch conduit run and wiring, which involves running the conduit through an attic space and across an atrium garden along an exterior wall. It also mentioned using a new quad breaker because of the crowded existing panel.

I though it might be a long run and that is not so bad, consider it is only $400 more than AV want's to screw the EVSE on my wall, literally.

Back