SOC-Meter in 2012 LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ILETRIC said:
If you want to lower your PSA take Saw Palmetto. TJ's sells a pretty decent product that works. In 2 years (once daily) your PSA will be normal. I can confirm that first hand (I'm 60 yo).

I would be very careful about giving such advice. One of my best friends died because he took too much of Saw Palmetto (for his prostate) and got liver cancer. It was a very painful death and I miss him. So my recommendation would be to check with a doctor first before taking it.

Just out of curiousity...how much too much did he take and what product was it -- if you happen to know.

Too much of everything is never a good idea. This is why I say to limit Vit E for example to 200 units a day. Same goes for Niacin for example. People take 500 -1000 mg doses to lower cholesterol. That's insane. It also causes liver problems. Moderation is the key here. I take Saw Palmetto now every other day and may lower it to 2x weekly or less since my PSA is down anyway. I only did it to keep wife and the doctor happy.

evnow said:
Back on topic, pls.

Ok, so, I got this new (4 days old) 2012 Leaf and am building the SOC-Meter for it.
Got my list, checked it twice, I am not naughty, so this should be nice :)
Also working on a custom vacumn mold for the SOC box so it fits in the change tray and looks like it came with the car.
Will se how this works out :)
Dan

Update:

Ok I ordered my parts, which I deviated slightly from the list Gary had. Here is what I ordered:

DigiKey:
1 - EG1540-ND SWITCH ROCKER DPDT 15A 125V; $2.75
1 - EG1841-ND SWITCH ROCKER SPDT 15A 125V; $2.05
SparksFun:
1 - 12.95 - COM-09765 - 7-Segment Serial Display - Blue
1 - 52.95 - DEV-08279 - Development Board for AT90CAN128 - AVR-CAN
1 - 0.25 - COM-10301 - Zener Diode - 5.1V 1W
1 - 0.5 - PRT-10650 - Ribbon Crimp Connector - 10-pin (2x5, Female)
2 - 3 - PRT-08506 - 2x5 Pin Shrouded Header (1.5000 ea.)
1 - 1.95 - DEV-09215 - AVR Programming Cable
(DELETED)
1 - 0.95 - PRT-00110 - 9 Pin Female Serial Connector - Solder Cup
Ebay:
2 Push Button MOMENTARY Switch 1NO 2A 36VDC 19mm SPHERE
OBD2Cables:
1 - 142602 Cable, J1962M Right Angle to Open, 9ft
Polou:
1 - #1905 0.1" (2.54mm) Crimp Connector Housing: 1x6-Pin 10-Pack = 0.79
1 - #1912 0.1" (2.54mm) Crimp Connector Housing: 2x4-Pin 10-Pack = 0.79
1 - #1800 Wires with Pre-crimped Terminals 50-Piece Rainbow Assortment F-F 6" = 9.95

Here is a concept pic that would fit in the change tray:
SOC-MeterConcept.jpg

Will have more on my progress as parts come in.
Thanks Gary!
Dan

Nice list.

Three observations:

1. The Programmer that you ordered has an ISP interface, not the JTAG interface used by the AVR-CAN board. Plugging the ISP into the JTAG port will short out the AVR-CAN 5v supply, as I recall ... not good.

I use a "Mini USB JTAG" Proframmer (from Ebay sources, one based in California), described in another thread.

2. Making the control surface shorter and more compact would allow placing the meter on the shelf above the LEAF's Nav screen.

3. Does the SPDT switch (and the DPDT) have center-OFF?

Good luck, with your project.
Please keep us posted on your progress and results.

Cheers, Gary

1. You might want to put the external programming port on the back side (or top) where it is more out-of-the-way and less likely to get anything conductive in it (water, gum wrapper, paper clip) that would probably "kill" the AVR-CAN board.
Or, get a plug/cover for that connector/opening.

2. Where does the OBD cable enter, from the back?

Cheers, Gary

garygid said:
Nice list.

Three observations:

1. The Programmer that you ordered has an ISP interface, not the JTAG interface used by the AVR-CAN board. Plugging the ISP into the JTAG port will short out the AVR-CAN 5v supply, as I recall ... not good.

I use a "Mini USB JTAG" Proframmer (from Ebay sources, one based in California), described in another thread.

2. Making the control surface shorter and more compact would allow placing the meter on the shelf above the LEAF's Nav screen.

3. Does the SPDT switch (and the DPDT) have center-OFF?

Good luck, with your project.
Please keep us posted on your progress and results.

Cheers, Gary

1) Opppssss :) Good thing I did order a mini jtag programmer off of ebay, this was an impulse buy :( Saw "works with AVRDude" and jumped on it.
2) Hmmmm well In every pic I have seen it is in the coin tray, but I see your point. Will play with my CAD program and see what I come up with.
3) Yes they are On-Off-On switches.

Thanks for pointing out the ISP vs JTAG duh... (Smacking Forehead)
Dan

garygid said:
1. You might want to put the external programming port on the back side (or top) where it is more out-of-the-way and less likely to get anything conductive in it (water, gum wrapper, paper clip) that would probably "kill" the AVR-CAN board.
Or, get a plug/cover for that connector/opening.

2. Where does the OBD cable enter, from the back?

Cheers, Gary

Good point on the programming port, will move it to the back. I do have a cover already for the logging port from a computer that had a dual monitor video card, so they covered the VGA port. Nice cover too, friction fitted.
And yes the cable goes in the back.
Dan

Back