Aerovironment EVSE install information

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boomer,
The licensed electrician who I found in the yellow pages read my AV quote and instructions. He said it would not be a problem and guarenteed his work. He said that his work and installation has a warranty of three years- of course the charger would not. The amount of money I am saving is enough to buy another charger if something goes wrong with the first one.
I am comfortable with the electrician I had come to my home because he explained all his work and the installation of the charger to me. AV's contracted electrician told me this: "Installing and connecting the AV Home Charger is not rocket science." He told me that it was not difficult to install the home charger whatsoever.

Received my quote a few days ago, and I'm definitely added to the group of consumers who are questioning the pricing structure from AV and is researching on alternatives in terms of installation and equipment options.

Not only does it sound like there are alternatives that will provide cheaper installations, but there are also charging stations that are much smarter.

As someone who is interested not only in the environmental and political impact of the Leaf but also the technologies behind the products surrounding it, promise from other companies with a charger with touchscreen display where you can schedule charging times and review charging history is much more tempting.

I'm eagerly waiting for the competitors to offer alternatives. Meanwhile, here's the quote that I was given:

custom installation * 1,401.95
charging dock, wall mount 15' cable * 721.12
installation permit and processing 250.00
shipping and delivery 49.95
sales tax * US$73.49

total US$2,496.51

your quote details
1) INSTALL (1) 2-POLE 40A CIRCUIT BREAKER INTO EXISTING ELECTRICAL PANEL 2) RUN CONDUIT AND WIRE FROM ELECTRICAL PANEL TO EVSE LOCATION 3) MOUNT AND TERMINATE (1) EVSE ONTO WALL IN CUSTOMER'S GARAGE 4) PROVIDE CUSTOMER TRAINING AND OBTAIN PERMITS AND INSPECTIONS

ChicoBob said:
garygid said:
Where are you with over 10% sales tax?

There are also taxable items in the install price.

This materials wil not be taxed, they are part of the contractor supplied items which are tax prepaid usually.

I just cancelled my Aerovironment appointment after reading about the price gouging that appears to be going on. I think I will wait for a cheaper alternative, given that I can't order until January anyway.

Good idea. When AV called to re-obtain my credit card information, five weeks after my EVSE site evaluation, my first thought was to say "what evaluation?". Maybe the $100 took me close to the front of the car line, but I doubt it.

Good, understandable video, includes routing wiring, e-hose length, and the 3-year AV warranty subjects.

For anybody with questions about the assessment process, certainly worth viewing.

My electrician said that in order to get the UL stamp, a company has to warrantee the unit for a year. That's certainly not the three year warrantee that AeroVironment gives with the installation, but that would be pretty good if we had a different licensed electrician install it. Does anyone know if that one year warrantee is correct for the UL stamp?

Danny said:
My electrician said that in order to get the UL stamp, a company has to warrantee the unit for a year. That's certainly not the three year warrantee that AeroVironment gives with the installation, but that would be pretty good if we had a different licensed electrician install it. Does anyone know if that one year warrantee is correct for the UL stamp?

Danny - I'm not going to speak to the UL stamp, but the warranty in general.

AV provides a warranty on the EVSE. That cannot change regardless of who installs the EVSE.

As I see it, here's the warranty break-down. If an AV rep or contractor runs a wire from a breaker box to the EVSE location, and then connects the EVSE, there are multiple warranties in play - they all go back to the manufacturer. If new breakers are installed, the breaker manufacturer carries that warranty. The company that makes the wire owns that one, the folks that make the staples or conduit or electrical box owns those warranties. The electrician that installs everything can offer an ADDITIONAL warranty on the hardware if they wish, but their warranty could only be limited to their work.

AV is still on the hook for the EVSE warranty regardless of who installs it (unless they have a prohibition on unqualified homeowner installs, I guess...).

If I choose to install the wiring to the EVSE connect point, then by default I accept responsibility for going back to the Romex, conduit, or circuit breaker manufacture (or Lowes!) for warranty replacement if one of those parts fails.

If I choose to welcome an electrician (or an AV installer) into my garage and simply grunt and point, then the installer is 'on the hook' to chase down warranty service if necessary (while we drink coffee).

Having another electrician install the AV unit doesn't remove AV from their warranty responsibility - and doesn't remove the electrician's responsibility from her work, or Square-D's responsibility for the breaker.

AndyH said:
Danny said:

Danny - I'm not going to speak to the UL stamp, but the warranty in general.

AV provides a warranty on the EVSE. That cannot change regardless of who installs the EVSE.

As I see it, here's the warranty break-down. If an AV rep or contractor runs a wire from a breaker box to the EVSE location, and then connects the EVSE, there are multiple warranties in play - they all go back to the manufacturer. If new breakers are installed, the breaker manufacturer carries that warranty. The company that makes the wire owns that one, the folks that make the staples or conduit or electrical box owns those warranties. The electrician that installs everything can offer an ADDITIONAL warranty on the hardware if they wish, but their warranty could only be limited to their work.

AV is still on the hook for the EVSE warranty regardless of who installs it (unless they have a prohibition on unqualified homeowner installs, I guess...).

If I choose to install the wiring to the EVSE connect point, then by default I accept responsibility for going back to the Romex, conduit, or circuit breaker manufacture (or Lowes!) for warranty replacement if one of those parts fails.

If I choose to welcome an electrician (or an AV installer) into my garage and simply grunt and point, then the installer is 'on the hook' to chase down warranty service if necessary (while we drink coffee).

Having another electrician install the AV unit doesn't remove AV from their warranty responsibility - and doesn't remove the electrician's responsibility from her work, or Square-D's responsibility for the breaker.

AV can choose to offer a longer warranty on the unit if they install the unit. Many products offer a 1 year warranty but the manufacturer may offer an extension for say, filling out the registration card. If AV provides a 90 day warranty on the unit then that's what you get no matter what, if they chose to extend that as a perk for having them install it then that is their choice. I think AV has been saying or implying that the warranty is longer if you have them install it. Personally, I get a bad feeling about them in general and will get another brand even if it cost's a bit more. People who buy only the AV unit will get whatever is the stated warranty in writing provided at purchase.

EVDRIVER said:
People who buy only the AV unit will get whatever is the stated warranty in writing provided at purchase.

AV has been quoted as offering a 3 year in-home warranty. Presumably with a reasonable response time. This could have value to those not wanting to dismount their units and shipping them back to AV (or another vendor) for service. What kind of value? From other extended warranties I've had, I'd say maybe $200-$250 for three years worth.

Yes, you buy the EVSE alone, you get some basic warranty (1 year, parts only, I think).

You buy the "EVSE-installed" package, you get a 3-year, in-home, full replacement warranty (to minimize "down" time).

garygid said:
You buy the "EVSE-installed" package, you get a 3-year, in-home, full replacement warranty (to minimize "down" time).

That has some value to me. I'm currently sitting with my entertainment system amp not working properly (one side of the front channel) because the amp is going to be a pain in the ass to unhook and reinstall, and it's going to be 2-3 weeks before I see that sucker again once it's sent in for repair.

The quote I received was $3600.

It is approximately 30 feet from the circuit-breaker box to my garage. The electrician was going to put conduit on the outside of the front of my house and just poke a hole in the wall. When I insisted that the installation be done professionally (with the electrical conduit running from the circuit breaker box through the attic of the house, to the attached garage); the price went up.

There's no question in my mind that this company is egregiously taking advantage of the situation. I could buy a used car for $3600.

The smart thing for Nissan to do would be to allow multiple bids and let the owners choose which company does the installation. The competition would prevent this unethical price gouging.

Back