Philadelphia and Southeastern PA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the e-mail yesterday and ordered today.

My salesman at Ardmore Nissan said they are getting 6 of them! He said they pulled him in to work on the Leaf because he had previously worked with the Chrysler Gem line of electric cars.

My order confirmation e-mail said that delivery is 3-4 months out.

So who is leasing and who is buying? Leasing seems safer in case something goes horribly wrong or incredibly right, but I'm really not expecting either of those to happen.

What's the chance that oil is going to become cheap again and Nissan is going to abandon electrics?

What's the chance that new technology is going to make this car obsolete in 5-10 years?

So many unknowns -- it's truly exciting!?! :)

I chose Devon Nissan for my quote last night. Didn't hear a thing today. I'll call them tomorrow. Still weighing lease vs. buy. I'm leaning to lease since the technology will greatly improve over the next three years. I know I'll want the 2015 model!!

Finally I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I put my $99 down September 15, 2010. I ordered my Leaf on Friday and expect delivery in March or April. I am not sure if PA is ready. There are no charging stations in central PA area. Only EVs sort of are the Amish buggies with their electrical lighting systems. I was the first order at Lancaster Nissan. It was not too difficult but I could tell they were starting something new for them.

PA Leafers,

I received an email yesterday from Nissan that my Leaf will be delivered to my dealer in February. I ordered December 2nd and received word at that time that my Leaf would be delivered in 3 - 4 months. It seems the time has moved up a month. What are you hearing about your deliver date? I may have to sell my VW soon.

I got the same e-mail.

Now I'm trying to deal with my township (Lower Merion in Montgomery County) to get them to let me put a charging station in front on my house!?! Everyone has been very supportive so far, but everyone also comments that this is a completely new request for them and they're not quite sure how to handle it!?!

Read that a Ohio purchaser ordered Dec. 1st and has been told to take delivery at end of this month. Is the supply bigger than the demand? We may get our even sooner.

I am sure there are going to be a lot of questions by governing entities on how to deal with EVs. I am curious how the state will do emission inspections and how to assess road tax since we will not be paying for gasoline?

I live in Lancaster county so I don't expect public charging any time soon, but we have places to tie up our horse and buggies at businesses.

BobE said:
Read that a Ohio purchaser ordered Dec. 1st and has been told to take delivery at end of this month. Is the supply bigger than the demand? We may get our even sooner.

I am sure there are going to be a lot of questions by governing entities on how to deal with EVs. I am curious how the state will do emission inspections and how to assess road tax since we will not be paying for gasoline?

I live in Lancaster county so I don't expect public charging any time soon, but we have places to tie up our horse and buggies at businesses.
I ordered Nov 30th; dashboard shows estimated delivery Jan 2012! So far as emissions inspection, the LEAF is zero emission, so I think its exempt. I'm trying to get the electrician to put in a Leviton EvrGreen 160... After the long wait, this is exciting stuff, it's moving much faster than I thought.

It is going quickly for you. I need to get my electrical assessment done on Dec. 22nd. I wish I could get my electrician friend to install the charging station but it looks like I am stuck with following the procedures from Nissan.

BobE said:
It is going quickly for you. I need to get my electrical assessment done on Dec. 22nd. I wish I could get my electrician friend to install the charging station but it looks like I am stuck with following the procedures from Nissan.
I asked Nissan CS to "enable the waiver", which brought up a checkbox on my dashboard which allowed me to skip the assessment and order immediately. The Nissan dealer asked me a bunch of questions about what EVSE I would be using, to which I replied: "Leviton Evr-Green 160". I already have an upgraded (to L2) Nissan/Panasonic unit, which I purchased to use back in July when I had the Hertz rental LEAF for a couple days. While this upgraded unit will do everything the Leviton unit will, it lost its UL listing when it was upgraded. Not only is the Leviton UL listed, but I doubt the electrical inspector will have any worries about a device with the Leviton name on the front. I'm using the Leviton because the garage sub-panel is 60A, so a 40A breaker for the AV EVSE would be pushing it; the Leviton only requires a 20A breaker, which will be "no sweat". The MY2012 LEAF can't use more current, and I'm figuring 16A/240V will be enough for overnight charging even for future cars with larger chargers.

I wished I would have known this before setting up my assessment date. I was looking at the different ev stations but I didn't have the knowledge to determine the best unit for my situation. I do not have a electrical box in my garage. My only electrical box is in the basement which is 20-30 foot run to the garage. My biggest job right now is cleaning our the basement (which was long overdue) to run the 240v line. Looks like you will be the first in PA with a Leaf.

And I'm wondering if they're going to make me upgrade the service to my house from 100A to 200A in order to accommodate the charger . . .

Maybe I should check to see if some company would like to put a "for pay" charger in front of my house! :)

I saw the chargers in King of Prussia last night. They are between Nordstrom and Sears on the top deck of the parking garage. They're pretty small -- looks like a 2 1/2" black PVC pipe with an electronic box on the top.

The one by the Wayne train station was about 6-9" square, so it was a bit more substantial. It's actually run by Community Energy, so at least your money is going toward producing more wind power in Pennsylvania.

I hope 200A service is enough. I have a 60A box just for the hot tub. I did not know about the charging station at King Prussia. I believe Ephrata is too far to Wayne or King of Prussia, charge and return. Philly and Pittsburgh areas seems to be the only ones except the Nissan dealers.

In the good news today, the PA Turnpike will have L2 & L3 charging station at all travel plazas by 2013. As long I'm going some where along the pike I'll be fine. Going to a Penn State game will still be a problem.

BobE said:
In the good news today, the PA Turnpike will have L2 & L3 charging station at all travel plazas by 2013. As long I'm going some where along the pike I'll be fine. Going to a Penn State game will still be a problem.
As a matter of fact I specifically asked the PA Turnpike that question last week. They replied that it's in their plans. Right now they're still asking for proposals (RFP). I can't see how L2 would do any good at a service plaza except for the employees. I think it needs to be all Quick Charge... I hope they understand this.

Maybe we could have a LEAFers meetup at the KofP mall or in that vicinity. I could make it there and back on a single charge.

It will be interesting to see how cold weather affects performance. My first couple months will likely be the coldest of the year.

It would be great to meet up at K of P. I'd make it there but need to stay over to charge enough to get home. L3 charging stations are a must to make EVs work. I was surprised that they were even being considered for the pike. From what I am reading there are not many L3s anywhere in the US. Seems to me Tennessee is getting a push for them since Nissan headquarters is there.

But I think I read in the fine print during the Leaf registration process that it is not recommended to perform more than one quick charge per day . . .

BobE said:
Looks like you will be the first in PA with a Leaf.
I may have already had the first LEAF in PA back in July when I rented the Hertz LEAF from NYC and drove it to my house for a couple days. My impression was that no one really noticed that it was anything different than a funny looking Versa. Except at my Nissan dealer, Peruzzi Nissan. It was the first time most of them had actually seen a real, live LEAF. With 2 rental sessions, I got about 320 miles of wonderful LEAF driving under my belt.

Well, the same people I showed the rental LEAF to a few months ago at Peruzzi Nissan will see a LEAF for the second time when they hand me the keys to my very own LEAF next month if all goes according to schedule!

My dealer, Lancaster Nissan, said that they are getting a demonstrator this month. Is that the case that all the Nissan dealers will get demonstrators before we get our cars?

BobE said:
My dealer, Lancaster Nissan, said that they are getting a demonstrator this month. Is that the case that all the Nissan dealers will get demonstrators before we get our cars?
I asked Peruzzi when I ordered. They said that they probably wouldn't have a demo before my LEAF, but maybe there will be a change of plan...

Back