7.5 kWh of electricity to produce a gallon of gasoline?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
planet4ever said:
sproqitman said:
@indyflick: Thank you. The light bulb finally went on in my head. So, 6 (or 7.5) KWh of energy go into turning petroleum into a gallon of gasoline. That energy can be used to make gasoline, or it can be used to make other things, such as electricity. That gallon of gasoline will propel the average car 25-30 miles. The same energy, converted to electricity, would propel the LEAF 25-30 miles.
No, I don't believe that is true. The 6 to 7.5 kWh energy equivalent would, by my understanding, be likely to yield around 3 to 3.5 kWh of electricity at your wall plug, and hence around 10-15 LEAF miles. That is significant, but it does not prove that the use of gasoline is ludicrous.
I'm not disagreeing with you, because I have heard the same thing. However, I went to the EIA website and they report losses to transmission and distribution at approximately 6.5% (http://www.eia.doe.gov/ask/electricity_faqs.asp#electric_rates2). I wonder if the 50% figure includes power plant efficiency?

That Leaf signage may fall under the category of lying with statistics and then lying with damn statistics... I happened to attend the yearly tour that the Chevron refinery in El Segundo gives. It's very informative, they give a lot of information, and it is well done. One of the stats (I'd have to find the brochure to quote the exact numbers) was the amount of power they use (they have their own power plant) to produce a number of the different products they make. Gasoline was just over a Kw per gallon as I recall. Now, of course, different refineries may have different efficiencies...

planet4ever said:
I saw that 7.5kWh figure on a Nissan information pedestal last December when the Leaf came through San Jose on its first tour. I found it hard to believe, and did some research. I can't find my numbers now, but I think I came up with an estimate of between 0.5kWh and 0.8kWh. I sent feedback to Nissan saying I thought their value was wrong, and wondering if someone might have accidentally slipped a decimal place in their calculation. I got an automated acknowledgment of receipt, but no response. I also never saw the claim again after that.

mogur said:
I happened to attend the yearly tour that the Chevron refinery in El Segundo gives. It's very informative, they give a lot of information, and it is well done. One of the stats (I'd have to find the brochure to quote the exact numbers) was the amount of power they use (they have their own power plant) to produce a number of the different products they make. Gasoline was just over a Kw per gallon as I recall. Now, of course, different refineries may have different efficiencies...
It would be interesting to figure out the total lifetime energy expenditure to get a barrel of oil out of the ground - depending on where the oil comes from, the energy expenditures can vary a huge amount - shale oil from Canada is notoriously energy and water intensive... But that 1 kWh/gallon of gas for sure isn't included there... How much oil did it take to get that barrel of oil out of the ground?

A few data points from my previous post.

It appears that oil refined from oil shale currently has an EROI between 1.4-2 to 1 - meaning for every barrels worth of energy you put into it, you get 1.4-2 barrels of oil out. Conventional oil (middle east oil) is likely somewhere around 5:1.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2010/08/shale-20100803.html

That means that it took at least 20-50% of the energy in that gas to get it in your tank. If a gallon of has has 33 kWh of energy, that means appx 7-16 kWh of energy was consumed to get that gallon to you...

An interesting topic has sprung back to life...

The 7.5kWh figure is clearly not talking about electricity usage. Best I can figure, they are saying that to produce a gallon of gasoline (36.6kWh equivalent) requires 7.5kWh additional energy. This seems consistent with a figure from the US Department of Energy, which claims the overall efficiency of petroleum production is 83% (PDF warning, see page 5 middle of 3rd column). In other words, Nissan seems to be saying you start out with 44.1kWh of raw energy and ultimately produce 36.6kWh of energy in the desired form (83%). Several other people seemed to have come to similar conclusions but seem to insist on over-complicating the matter.

The origin of the 7.5kWh figure probably is as simple as it looks: DOE says 83% efficiency, ergo 36.6/0.83 = 44.1kWh input, ergo it takes 44.1 - 36.6 = 7.5kWh needed to make a gallon of gas.

Personally, I think this is a very difficult way to make comparisons, especially since only a tiny fraction of our electricity comes from petroleum. A better way is to compare CO2/pollution production. In that regard, EVs win handily over conventional gasoline vehicles even when you consider the majority of our electricity comes from carbon emitting fuels.
=Smidge=

Smidge204 said:
The origin of the 7.5kWh figure probably is as simple as it looks: DOE says 83% efficiency, ergo 36.6/0.83 = 44.1kWh input, ergo it takes 44.1 - 36.6 = 7.5kWh needed to make a gallon of gas.
Pretty close to my back of the envelope numbers, so let's go with them.

If we assume that the energy going into getting the gas out of the ground has appx the same carbon intensity as the end product (~20 lbs/gallon), the actual carbon emissions from burning a gallon of fuel is appx 20% higher, or about 24 lbs/gallon.

This makes the CO2 emissions of a 50 mpg vehicle equivalent to a 4 mi / kWh EV running on 100% coal. The EV running on gas (very similar to CO2 emissions of the national grid, currently) produced electricity would rival the fuel economy of a 75 mpg vehicle.

So at worst (in terms of CO2 emissions), an EV might be similar to the best gas burning vehicle available if you get all your electricity from coal, but it's likely 50% better and in a lot of cases could be drastically better than that if you get more of your electricity from nuclear, hydro, wind or solar or other renewables (geothermal, biomass, etc).

But I think we came to that conclusion many pages ago!

Smidge204 said:

Good find.

Ahhhh! OK then. So this statistic says that by NOT producing the gallon of oil, the 7.5Kwh of lost electricity is never wasted in the first place?!? I know I'm a "trouble maker" but just trying to wrap my head around this concept. Thanks.

TRONZ said:
Ahhhh! OK then. So this statistic says that by NOT producing the gallon of oil, the 7.5Kwh of lost electricity is never wasted in the first place?!?
Not electricity, but energy - most likely oil used to power drilling rigs and ship it to the refinery.

Some electricity is probably used, but as others have mentioned most of it comes from byproducts of the refining process.

Basically think of it this way: For every barrel of oil you pull out of the ground, you use 17% of it to get the next barrel out.

Don't forget petroleum distribution, it's not just refining! Pipeline operations are almost all electric, and there's a lot of that going on. They pump crude across the whole state of Alaska!

Then you've got the gas stations themselves, pumping it out of the in-ground tanks. (minor, I know, but still it adds up!)

-Phil

drees said:
TRONZ said:
Ahhhh! OK then. So this statistic says that by NOT producing the gallon of oil, the 7.5Kwh of lost electricity is never wasted in the first place?!?
Not electricity, but energy - most likely oil used to power drilling rigs and ship it to the refinery.

Some electricity is probably used, but as others have mentioned most of it comes from byproducts of the refining process.

Basically think of it this way: For every barrel of oil you pull out of the ground, you use 17% of it to get the next barrel out.

The 7.5kwh/gal of gasoline doesn't come from exploration, production and transport energy. It is mostly the thermal energy used in the refinery (attributed to gasoline only, even though there are other refined products).

Here's some different data that pretty much boils down to the same results discussed so far, from Profile of the Petroleum Refining
Industry in California
(contains data for all of the US, too) It's 2001 data, but the relationships probably haven't changed much.

In 2001 US refineries consumed about 3.3 quadrillion Btus (Quads or 10^15 Btu) of primary energy to produce all their refined products. Primary energy for a refinery means natural gas and crude oil. Electricity purchased from the outside is converted to primary energy using the prevailing rate for the mix on the grid being considered (usually a factor of about 3 for the whole US). You can convert the 3.3 Quads to about 9.7x10^11 kWhs, but this is not electricity, just thermal energy of fossil fuels reported in kWhs. If it was electricity, at something better than 3 mi/kWh wall to wheel for an EV, you could indeed drive all the 3 trillion US vehicle miles traveled (VMT). Although, a lot of those vehicle miles are heavy trucks that couldn't get 3 mi/kWh. Anyway, if you really wanted to take the primary energy consumed in oil refineries and turn it into electricity, you'd have to suffer the roughly 3 to 1 thermal to electrical efficiency of a thermal cycle plant, and you could now power about 33% of US VMT.

Still, it is striking that this is only the energy consumed in the refineries for their operation. It is not any of the energy of the refined products coming out. Nor does it include any of the energy of exploration, production or transportation, as many have already pointed out.

By the way, if you divide 9.7x10^11 kWhs by the roughly 1.3x10^11 gallons of gas a year consumed in 2001 your will get something pretty close to the 7.5kWh/gallon figure.

When it comes to electricity purchased from the outside by oil refineries, they use a comparatively small 34 billion kWhs, good for 100 billion miles of driving at 3 mi/kwh, or only about 4% of US VMT in 2001. Onsite co-gen facilities generate some of refinery electricity from process heat (about 25% of total electrical consumption).

This is no defense of the oil industry. I think these numbers point out that they use a shocking amount of energy to process gasoline fuels, not to mention all the other activities necessary to deliver this fuel, but I though it was worth trying to be more explicit about the particular number being discussed and what it really means, although it has already been pretty well beaten to death here and elsewhere. EVs are clearly a vast improvement over the this inefficient, oily morass of petroleum.

Howdy

I did this calculation and for Alberta oil sand with an EROEI of 3 this works out to being able to drive just as far with your EV simply on the natural gas that would otherwise be required to extract and refine an equivalent amount of gasoline to drive a regular gasoline powered car the same distance.

http://markbc.wordpress.com/why-we-dont-need-oil-or-gas/electric-cars/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It blows my mind that people can believe we aren't running out of oil when global oil production hasn't increased in 10 years, and we have to now rely on oil sand with an EROEI of 3, and the whole deposit amounts to 6 years of global oil consumption. It's mass media brainwashing, keeping the facts away from the average person. And the oil companies want to put in a nuclear power plant to refine the oil sand. So ... we have to build a nuke plant to ... provide energy to extract energy from ... another energy source? It's the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard. But our politicians and corporations have become so blinded by their short term profit that they don't understand what they are proposing.

Back