Philadelphia and Southeastern PA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BobE said:
My dealer, Lancaster Nissan, said that they are getting a demonstrator this month. Is that the case that all the Nissan dealers will get demonstrators before we get our cars?

almost always with the Tier 2+ dealers; our dealer outside of Chicago had his demo a little over a month or so after ordering opened up in IL ... the earliest delivery reported was about 10 weeks later (late November), of course the IL dealers received 2011 models not 2012 so maybe with the model year changeover it will be reversed. As my dealer had said; it's tougher to sell these w/o a test drive but some new owners attend the Nissan LEAF drive events and that's enough drive time for them to order one --

The electrician came today to wire up a 240V outlet for the Leviton Evr-Green 160 EVSE. My "Alternative Fueled Vehicle Refueling Property" is "placed into service" 2011/12/17, in time to claim it on my taxes!

Claim it on your taxes?!?

Is there something I should be reading to find out about additional tax savings?!? I thought I would just get the $7,500 tax credit for the year I took delivery of the car -- and only if I decide to buy the car and not lease it . . .

UPDATE: Ah, I see form 8911. Does anyone know if this has been extended into 2012, or do I need to get my charger installed before the end of the year in order to get the tax savings?

yeswaydude said:
Claim it on your taxes?!?

Is there something I should be reading to find out about additional tax savings?!? I thought I would just get the $7,500 tax credit for the year I took delivery of the car -- and only if I decide to buy the car and not lease it . . .

UPDATE: Ah, I see form 8911. Does anyone know if this has been extended into 2012, or do I need to get my charger installed before the end of the year in order to get the tax savings?
From the "What's New" section of the form instructions: "The alternative fuel vehicle refueling property credit is scheduled to expire for non-hydrogen refueling property placed in service after 2011." Better claim it this year!

I just spoke with and sent an e-mail to Scott Savett of Congressman Jim Gerlach's office in Montgomery County. He didn't know anything about this, but said he would look into it as soon as possible.

I will keep you posted . . .

I just got a return phone call -- that was quick! And, unfortunately, it was not what we wanted to hear.

The credit has not been extended. He also spoke with someone at the IRS who told him that there is not even any pending legislation to re-introduce the credit.

So, all of us are now going to be competing to get our chargers installed next week!?!

I did not get my charging station installed but I got my assessment today. Next will be to have it install it. The electrician worked for Quicktricity out of Camp Hill. His company is contracted by Nissan. He told me I was the first home assessment by his company, but his company has installed ev stations at Nissan dealerships in the area. He says all the dealers that have 480 volts available are getting level 3 stations.

I got some additional information:

David,

I just left you a phone message and wanted to follow up via email.

In addition to speaking with my contact at the IRS I placed an inquiry with the Congressional Research Service. Please read their email below. They give a more hopeful picture for the future although the bottom line for now remains the same as the credit will not be extended as of right now.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can help you with anything else.

Scott Savett
Office of Congressman Jim Gerlach
Work #: 610-409-2780
Fax #: 610-409-7988
Email: [email protected]
To sign up for the Congressman’s E-Newsletter click here

Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2011 12:50 PM
To: Savett, Scott
Subject: Expiration of the Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Tax Credit

Hi Scott,

Section 30C of the Internal Revenue Code (IRC) currently provides taxpayers with a tax credit for alternative fuel vehicle refueling property that is equal to 30% of the cost of the property up to $1,000 for non-business installations (i.e. personal residences). For all refueling property (except hydrogen fuels), this credit is currently scheduled to expire at the end of 2011 along with a variety of other expiring tax provisions. These provisions, including this credit, have been extended before and are often referred to as "tax extenders" and are often extended at the end of each year.

For more information on tax extenders, see http://www.crs.gov/pages/Reports.aspx?PRODCODE=R42105&Source=search#_Toc310515311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While there have been bills introduced to extend the alternative fuel vehicle refueling credit (for example H.R. 1875 and S. 1220), neither chamber has passed an extension of this tax credit. The final piece of legislation that may be considered and passed this year is the bill which extends the payroll tax cut, the doc-fix and extended unemployment insurance benefits (H.R. 3630). This legislation, even if it was agreed to by the House, does not contain an extension of the alternative fuel vehicle refueling tax credit or other extenders. Hence, passage of an extension of this provision is almost certain not to happen this year.

However, Congress has historically passed extensions of income tax provisions retroactively. In the case of your constituent, if he places in service an electric charging station in 2012, he will be able to claim this credit on his 2012 tax return which he will file in April of 2013. Hence, if Congress extends this tax credit in 2012, he will still be able to claim this provision on his 2012 return which he files in 2013. But given the uncertainty over whether "tax extenders" will be extended, their are no guarantees this provision will be in effect in 2012.

I hope this is helpful. Please feel free to call or email
Best
xxxxx

xxxxx
Analyst in Public Finance
Government Finance and Taxation Section
Congressional Research Service

So maybe we'll still get our tax credit, but I'm not holding my breath -- I guess this is just part of the price of being an early adopter!?!

My dashboard estimated delivery just changed to "week of February 6" from "month of January 2012". I was expecting it to be near the end of January, and maybe it still will be, but beginning of February isn't bad, either. I'll have to start keeping an eye on the 'tracking ships" thread; I'm guessing our LEAFs will be unloaded from the ship at FAPS in Newark, NJ, right next to the airport.

I got the same message today that my Leaf will be delivered the week of February 6th. Maybe ours will be coming on the same ship. I feel feel like a little kid at Christmas not being able to wait for it to arrive. After waiting since Sept. 15, 2010, it is about time. I remember when I ordered my 1990 Miata and had to wait six months. This is worse! Too much time to wait and too many articles read not know what to expect when it finally arrives.

OMG!?! I just got my quote for the charger installation, and it came in at just over $8,000!?!!!!!

Granted, my electrical service needs to be upgraded from 100A to 200A and the line has to be run to a separate box in my detached garage, but should it really cost that much?!? The charger itself (with a 25' cord) is only $725.

I think I'll be getting some additional quotes for the expensive portion of the work. If I had known the price would be so outrageous, I would've had the work done previously by someone else.

I also couldn't get the website to let me schedule an appointment for installation. I don't know if I have to call and pay before they activate the magic button or what . . .

I wonder if I'll have to schedule and pay for a 2nd assessment if I have some of the work done by someone else . . .

I'm taking deep breaths!?!

yeswaydude said:
OMG!?! I just got my quote for the charger installation, and it came in at just over $8,000!?!!!!!

How many miles do you drive daily?.. perhaps you can used the 120V EVSE for now.

I was just thinking the same thing!

I drive at least 35 miles per day, and on some days I'm sure I will be pushing the limits of the battery pack.

But, I guess it all depends on usage in stop 'n go traffic, which is most of that 35 miles . . .

I'm looking forward to a pre-heated car and the heated steering wheel on cold mornings like this one was!

Yeswaydude, I would ask around for a recommendation on a good electrician. I don't know what the conventions are in your area, but here electricians do quotes for free, that's how they get work. Seven grand seems like alot.

yeswaydude said:

Granted, my electrical service needs to be upgraded from 100A to 200A and the line has to be run to a separate box in my detached garage, but should it really cost that much?!? The charger itself (with a 25' cord) is only $725.
Might be the if you put a Leviton Evr-Green 160 in, the panel upgrade would be unnecessary; the Leviton requires a 20A 2 pole breaker. I have a 60A subpanel in a detached garage. Adding a 40A breaker would have pushed it past the limit, while the 20A breaker was not a problem. The Leviton unit is $1K (from Amazon), the mounting bracket was $80, and the electrician charged less than $200 to install the breaker, run the wire, and hook up the 6-20R outlet for the Leviton.

Oh No! My delivery date changed from the week of February 6th to week of February 8th. (plus or minus 7 days) Has your delivery date changed?

That is interesting. I got to sign up for Carwings when I got the week of Feb. 6th message. I was not sure if I wanted to sign up until closer to the time of delivery. I wondering when the three years free service begins? I did anyway.

Wow! Thanks, tps! That's a huge difference!

I'm still not sure they'll let me do it without also installing a separate panel in the garage -- the assessment guy said something about them requiring a light to illuminate the charger.

I called USA Electrical, and the guy there said that because I'm upgrading to 200A with a new panel that all of my circuit breakers need to be replaced with arc-fault circuit breakers at about $40 a pop. He also said that he thought my trench to the garage had to be dug by hand. And he said that the electric company had their hand in the till also, since they might have to upgrade the line to the house to handle the 200A load.

He said that they only specify what needs to be done and that AeroVironment sets the prices. He had someone from AeroVironment call me, but they called my home number and I didn't get the message until I checked my messages today.

Thanks again for the suggestion! I'll talk to AeroVironment and keep all of you posted on what happens!

Back