CHAdeMO charging video - how to plug in

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveEV

Found this video on how to properly plug in the CHAdeMO connector.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAeyyLTx5WU[/youtube]

Make sure you keep your fingers off the big lever when first plugging in and removing the connector!

No wonder all those handles are bring broken by the newbies. I would have tried every no-no in this video. This design doesn't seem foolproof at all.

richard said:
No wonder all those handles are bring broken by the newbies. I would have tried every no-no in this video. This design doesn't seem foolproof at all.
I'm pretty sure that the handle that's broken on existing CHAdeMO units is a little red handle on the side, not the big beefy handle pictured here. The handle was redesigned to remove the little red handle that broke easily.

See here for example:
evse-portland-or-pge-chademo-20110609-001-m.jpg

Recargo - EV CHARGING STATION: PORTLAND WORLD TRADE CENTER - BLDG 2

Perhaps someone who has used the Mitsubishi Cypress QC unit can comment on whether it's handle had the red lever or not...

drees said:
Perhaps someone who has used the Mitsubishi Cypress QC unit can comment on whether it's handle had the red lever or not...

Here's a recent post that indicates the black handle broke in the most recent case at Mitsu Cypress.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=160664#p160664" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, the small handle is no longer on the current models. It is not hard to figure out without instruction, but it does take a couple of false starts to get it right. If anyone wants to try it out or play with it, I will bring one to the next BayLEAFs meeting. Personally, I think this connector could have been simplified, and I am working on a better design without as many moving parts that is still just as safe and even more durable.

-Phil

Here are some pictures of the QC at Mitsubishi on the day that mwalsh and I charged there.

I had trouble inserting the plug. I think that I was trying to push in and squeeze the black handle simultaneously. As the video shows, you also need to push in to compress the flexible folds at the near end of the handle before you squeeze the black handle. My impression was that it was not intuitive and not easy for those with smaller hands and less strength than me, an average 60-ish male. As you can see, there is no red handle on the QC at Mitsubishi.

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Mwalsh having more success than me!

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Here in Portland, the two QC units with the black buttons have been broken (one was broken twice). The one QC unit with the red handle is still in working condition and hasn't ever been broken.

It must take some skill to break the black handle - the handle looks pretty beefy. Anyone have any idea how people are breaking it?

I would be seriously upset if I were a QC station owner that had to shell out thousands of bucks every month because the handle broke...

The thing is definitely not intuitive. I've used one plenty of times, and it still seems awkward each and every time. Just a tiny bit more thought would have been rewarded with a more obvious and idiot-proof design.

Either way, the video was fun... and the sound track ROCKS!

drees said:
It must take some skill to break the black handle - the handle looks pretty beefy. Anyone have any idea how people are breaking it?

I would be seriously upset if I were a QC station owner that had to shell out thousands of bucks every month because the handle broke...

The handle does not break, is the gear inside that gets locked somehow. See the post below:

camasleaf said:
camasleaf said:
DarkStar said:
Caution:
1- Do not squeeze the black handle with any force at all. If it doesn't move easily, it isn't inserted correctly.
2- When inserting the connector, do not squeeze thee black handle until the connector is fully inserted in the receptacle.
3- Once inserted, gently squeeze the black handle. It should move effortlessly. The back part of the blue handle moves forward towards the receptacle.

Last Sunday I stopped by Fred Meyer for a quick charge. I put the plug in and tried to squeeze the black handle but did not move. Tried a few times to reset the plug but it still did not work. I did not try to force it. I was disappointed that it does not work (I would have driven to downtown to use one of the other two QCs). I tried one more time and while slightly squeezing the handle I lightly pushed the release button. I heard a light click and handle released and I was able to squeeze it. I only charged for about 10 minutes and around noon I came back to charge to 80%. This time the handle worked just fine.

Could it be that people walking by squeeze the handle and cause it to lock? Did pushing the release button really help? If you have problems try the release button, but remember I did not have to use any force.

If you watch the video you can see that the release button moves down and up while the handle is squeezed. So maybe pushing the release button did help unlock the handle :) !

I've never used one of these before since my car does not have QC. But my first thought upon seeing pictures of them is "why is it so huge?" I mean when I look at Tesla's charge port, there is an enormous difference in size.

adric22 said:
But my first thought upon seeing pictures of them is "why is it so huge?"
When I saw Phil's at the Nissan meeting in Mt View, that was my first thought too.

Watching the video, I can see that it is really badly designed. It just invites the user to operate it incorrectly.

DoxyLover said:
adric22 said:
When I saw Phil's at the Nissan meeting in Mt View, that was my first thought too.

Watching the video, I can see that it is really badly designed. It just invites the user to operate it incorrectly.

I believe the intention was to make it similar to a gas pump. Hey, you do not squeeze the handle until you put the nozzle in the tank, you lock it in so you do not have squeeze while dispensing gas, you release the handle before pulling out of the tank ... and so on. We had over 100 years to learn those steps, ... well in Oregon they are still learning :D . No wonder the Portland QC connectors get damaged :lol: .

camasleaf said:
DoxyLover said:
adric22 said:

I believe the intention was to make it similar to a gas pump. Hey, you do not squeeze the handle until you put the nozzle in the tank, you lock it in so you do not have squeeze while dispensing gas, you release the handle before pulling out of the tank ... and so on. We had over 100 years to learn those steps, ... well in Oregon they are still learning :D . No wonder the Portland QC connectors get damaged :lol: .

The pull handle operades a cam to pull it in because of the resistance of the large contact resistance. It is actually very well built and designed, the cable is also shielded and very high quality.

drees said:

It's not the handle that is getting broken. There is a small catch on the bottom of the connector where it plugs into the car and those have been breaking off because of a design issue. Until the new connectors are UL approved, we're stuck with these versions that can break.

FYI, the ones in Japan pretty much all have the red lever release mechanism and apparently don't have the same issues.

DarkStar said:
It's not the handle that is getting broken. There is a small catch on the bottom of the connector where it plugs into the car and those have been breaking off because of a design issue. Until the new connectors are UL approved, we're stuck with these versions that can break.

FYI, the ones in Japan pretty much all have the red lever release mechanism and apparently don't have the same issues.
The one I have is indeed UL listed. I do not see how it will easily break even if you don't follow the instructions. It seems overbuilt actually, but I agree that it's a bad design. Apparently the Sumitomo unit is better.

-Phil

The last step plugging in is to raise the lever.

So, one might assume that the first step in un-plugging is to lower the lever.

But, apparently one needs to press the button FIRST (and hold it down?) and only THEN lower the lever.

Is that the problem?

garygid said:
The last step plugging in is to raise the lever.

So, one might assume that the first step in un-plugging is to lower the lever.

But, apparently one needs to press the button FIRST (and hold it down?) and only THEN lower the lever.

Is that the problem?

The lever will lower by itself. The video shows that you push the release button one for the lever to lower and push it again to pull the plug out. I do not recall having to push the button twice. You push the release button hold it down, the lever lowers as you allow the moving part of the plug to come out than the whole plug comes out.

The only time you touch the lever is at plugin when you squeeze it after the main plug is fully seated against the Leaf receptacle.

Yes, the Lever drops by itself once you press the button (providing the red LED is off), and only once the lever is all the way down will it let you pull it out from the port.

If there is any side or excessive downward tension the lever doesn't always pop down by itself though, sometimes it needs you to at least lift a little on the rubber handle part. It's also possible to "help" the lever a bit with a finger to drop down.

-Phil

Obviously, we all need more opportunities to practice this ;) . Maybe in 2012, I will get my chance!

Back