Things that should and should not be automatic..

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregH

I would like it if:

1: I didn't have to hit "ok" on the NAV to allow Nissan access to my stats EVERY TIME I START THE CAR
This could be a setting somewhere (ie, always allow, never allow, ask on startup)

2: I didn't have to log in every 3rd time on the iPhone app.. I know it's easy as it remembers the user name and PW, but why not just do this automatically? If I wanted to change vehicles (I don't) you could have an option in the settings to change accounts or something..

3: I personally do NOT like the auto locking doors at 15mph (or whatever).. there should be a way to disable this.

+1 on your items #1 and 3, altho' I think #1 is a lost cause. And I am still an Android user waiting for my app.

If you find a way to disable the door lock please let us all know!!

For #3, read this page on this thread:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2273&start=30

#1 is a big deal for a lot of people on this forum. Hopefully Nissan will listen eventually and find some other way to keep the lawyers at bay.

As for being "automatic", there are two things that I would prefer to be "manual" versus "automatic" (actually they're more electronic and automatic, but whatever):
A) E-brake. I don't like it being electronic, I like a physical handle or pedal to operate the brake.
B) Shifter. I would prefer a shift gate, or something where the handle would stay in position. Too many times I start the car, then put it in gear, and it won't go because I did it too quick and it only went to Neutral, so I have to do it again. Basically the problem is that I'm trying to shift into Drive before it has fully booted up (or something). If it was a regular shift gate, then the handle would be in place and it would eventually lock into Drive without me having to do it again.

OK, let's call blorg's #4 and #5. I personally agree with #1 and don't care about #2 (I don't have an iPhone) or #3. I agree with #4 (eBrake) but I like the way the shifter works (#5), probably because it's just like our Prius.

#6. Surprised I had to be the one to add this: There needs to be a way to control the climate system manually. Why can't I choose straight out that I want [inside/outside] air [heated/cooled/neither] coming to the [windshield/dash/floor/all]?

Ray

Did anyone figure out the reason for electric parking brakes?.. other conventional cars are also using them so its not only a Leaf thing. It has to be more expensive than a handle with a cable. What was the problem with the older mechanical system?

planet4ever said:
#6. Surprised I had to be the one to add this: There needs to be a way to control the climate system manually. Why can't I choose straight out that I want [inside/outside] air [heated/cooled/neither] coming to the [windshield/dash/floor/all]?

Ray
Can't you do this? I have mine set to outside air, dash, at the second speed. I set it on the drive home from the dealer a couple weeks ago and the only time I've monkeyed with it was to turn on the AC.

Steve said:
Can't you do this? I have mine set to outside air, dash, at the second speed. I set it on the drive home from the dealer a couple weeks ago and the only time I've monkeyed with it was to turn on the AC.
Yeah, this can be done manually. It's not terribly /intuitive/, however.

Packet said:
Steve said:
Yeah, this can be done manually. It's not terribly /intuitive/, however.
Maybe so. Way back in the old days, when I drove a car that... if you can believe this... ran on gasoline, it was a Mazda 5. Had a similar climate control system. I guess after using that, I don't find the Nissan climate controls to be too much of a hassle. Of course, there's always the (very real) possibility that I don't know what I'm talking about, which is why I posed it as a question.

But, Ray. The important thing is that I believe you can get what you're looking for. If you take a little time to get used to the system, turn off the auto-temp button and have a little patience, you'll figure the climate controls out and get your fresh air from the vent. :)

Steve said:
But, Ray. The important thing is that I believe you can get what you're looking for. If you take a little time to get used to the system, turn off the auto-temp button and have a little patience, you'll figure the climate controls out and get your fresh air from the vent. :)
OK, I guess I should have read the manual. I see now that I was overlooking two things, the MODE button and the ON-OFF button under the big AUTO button. It seems odd that there is an on/off for A/C and another on/off for A/C and heater, but at least I can see a way through this now.

Ray

How about not disabling the navigation menu over 5 mph. What precludes a passenger from operating the menus while the driver is driving?
Very annoying.

Instead of incessantly asking permission to share stats when you start the car, it should ask you a couple questions when you return home:
Code:
ask q1: "Are you home for the night?";

If (answer to q1 is NO) 
{
   ask q2: "Do you plan to drive more than X miles this evening?" (where X is based on SOC);

if (answer to q2 is YES)
   {
      automatically disable the timer;
      pop the charge port door open;
      remind the user to connect;
   }
}
else
{
   pop the charge port door open;
   remind the user to connect;
}

GregH said:
3: I personally do NOT like the auto locking doors at 15mph (or whatever).. there should be a way to disable this.
My Chevy Malibu autolocks when I put it in gear. So far, it has not bothered me because I have not had the need to open the door while the car is moving.

I love my Leaf and I agree with much of this thread that a few small manual vs. automatic issues could be improved:

Asking every time it starts the nav

Asking to log in again on the iPhone and Android apps (log back in automatically and do what I asked, don't show an error message, make me log in again, then make me manually repeat my command.)

Auto locking but not unlocking when I put it in Park, so I have to find the un-lit unlock button to let my passengers out (Eventually I may learn where this button is by feel.)

Electric brake: Not a big deal but I prefer a manual lever or pedal. I can imagine the electric version engages more reliably for drivers who do not use enough force on the manual version.

Climate control: I mostly leave it off and just use the steering wheel heater so far. An obvious "fresh air only" mode would be nice, but it sounds like there is a way to get that already if I figure it out.

Being the passenger trying to mess with Bluetooth or nav and having it keep disabling everything each time the car starts moving. Maybe the screen could tilt out to face the passenger more and that could stop the automatic disabling?

My own additions that are not as related to the manual/automatic theme:
The display still says the charge timer is on even when I push the button to disable it. I think I understand why, but it is confusing.
The three blue lights speak their own alien language instead of being designed for humans. Why not display a few numbers and letters that let a Volt driver see when my Leaf will start or finish charging?

Back