I Beat EPA's 2.9 Miles/KWh : Report Your Monthly Mileage

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
davewill said:
Anyway, I'll take this answer as a "no" you don't have anything but this.
If you don't want to do any searching - let it be. I'm not going to do the work for you.

ps : I'm likely to move all the OT posts to a new thread and keep this thread clean with only reports of m/kwh.

davewill said:
BTW, when are you going to repeat your constant speed test in "D"?

I was waiting for the conditions to be the same especially the ambient temp...it needs to be in the 70's so I'll probably do it tomorrow afternoon.

Below are my CW reports, available at the bottom of the "regional rankings" page.

Month and Year Grade Rank Energy Economy
May/2011 Gold 492 5.4 miles/kWh
Jun/2011 Gold 695 5.7 miles/kWh
Jul/2011 Gold 1651 5.3 miles/kWh
Aug/2011 Bronze 3622 4.2 miles/kWh
Sep/2011 Silver 3457 4.5 miles/kWh
Oct/2011 Silver 3640 4.2 miles/kWh
Nov/2011 Gold 2471 4.3 miles/kWh

These numbers need to be corrected for charge efficiency (relative to EPA m/kWh) but do seem to be entirely consistent with my driving, since I had the NTB11-041 CW update done on 8/3.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think I can explain why the monthly results are not showing the approximately 5% reduction in cold weather m/kWh performance, I posted here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6701&start=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I do a lot of my driving on mountain roads, and with both wet surfaces, and more driving after dark, my speed has often been restricted. Also, the (about 5%) lower cold weather total available battery capacity, has also meant that I need to watch the bars closely on some of my longer drives, and slow down. For instance, I used 18 kWh (CW report) for the 77.7 mile drive I made on 11/13, went from 11 bars to 1 bar, and got the VLB warning for the first time (when I wasn't trying to) since I got the car. I also haven't had to use the heater very much, other than pre-heating, which probably is not reported as "energy used" by CW.

Interesting that CW has moved me back up to "gold". Both a larger proportion of LEAFs now have probably now had the update, to correct CW, and weather has dropped others' m/kWh results, more than mine.

Happy Thanksgiving, to all.

It might be helpful if a moderator could post a "sticky" poll asking the average MPkWh that Leaf owners are experiencing. We could then quickly and easily see at a glance what the overall average is to date, and how it compares with EPA's estimate. Just a suggestion.

Back on topic...

My numbers for NOV-2011:

a. 507 miles
b. 90.9 kWh Wall (Blink)
c. 5.58 miles/kWh Wall(Blink)
e. 6.3 miles/kWh Carwings (yeah right)
f. $8.18
g. 1.6 cents/mile

My numbers dropped a little since last month, mainly in this last cold and humid week in TN. I tried to limit the use of the heater/defroster, but the humidity and temperatures made it impossible to not lose a few kW. Still, 8 bucks and some change compared to the ~$75 in gas it would have cost me with my old ICE is nice.

I can smile as I update my sig to show my new lifetime wall-to-wheels figures. It took me a month to figure it out (as my lower first monthly numbers showed me), but driving efficiently and getting 100+ miles out of a charge in this car is very easy for me now (120 miles on one 100% charge being my record).

TNleaf said:
Back on topic...

c. 5.58 miles/kWh Wall(Blink)

e. 6.3 miles/kWh Carwings (yeah right)

If you are getting 5.58 m/kwh at the wall you could easily be getting 6.3 m/kwh (88% charging efficiency). Infact it might be higher ...

Here is mine for November. Another fall from October's 4.6 (and Sept's 5.2).

Mainly the drop in temperature - but also a lot of trips we made together that increased the use of heater.

Code:
Month : Nov-2011
a. 833 Miles
b. 272 kWh (Wall - Blink)
c. 3.1 Miles/kWh (Wall)
d. 3.8 Miles/kWh (Leaf)
e. ? Miles/kWh (CarWings)
f. $30
g. 3.6 Cents/Mile

Here is mine for December. The m/kWh seems to be stabilizing. But, the wall to wheel m/kWh actually came out to be exactly what EPA rated at !

Code:
a. 979 Miles
b. 339 kWh (Wall - Blink - Estimated)
c. 2.9 Miles/kWh (Wall)
d. 3.5 Miles/kWh (Leaf)
e. 3.4 Miles/kWh (CarWings)
f. $37
g. 3.8 Cents/Mile

Here is the entire record at a glance.

monthlystats.png

Here is the range vs average temperature (as reported by weather stations, rather than what I've logged).

monthlystats-temp.png

evnow said:
Here is mine for December. The m/kWh seems to be stabilizing. But, the wall to wheel m/kWh actually came out to be exactly what EPA rated at !

Code:
a. 979 Miles
b. 339 kWh (Wall - Blink - Estimated)
c. 2.9 Miles/kWh (Wall)
d. 3.5 Miles/kWh (Leaf)
e. ? Miles/kWh (CarWings)
f. $37
g. 3.8 Cents/Mile

Here is the entire record at a glance.

monthlystats.png

Here is the range vs average temperature (as reported by weather stations, rather than what I've logged).

monthlystats-temp.png

your lifetime stats seem a bit out of sync

evnow said:
JPWhite said:

Lifetime cents/mile looks way too low. lower than any of the monthly numbers.

Argh .... I should check before posting. Corrected.

We are all capable of making mistakes. There was one time way way ago I remember I made a mistake as well :) (Like every five minutes).

The chart and graph are cool BTW.

January mileage:

Wall-to-wheels: 3.2 miles/kWh [679.7 miles/210 kWh = 3.24]

Dash: 4.0 miles/kWh

Notes: The wall-to-wheels included some preheating, so the numbers can't be used for charging efficiency. Driving temperatures were mostly at or below freezing but car is charged in a garage that is above freezing. Elevation range: 8000 feet to 5750 feet. All driving includes steep hills. No multi-lane highway driving at all. Some of the driving is on dirt roads.

February mileage:

Wall-to-wheels: 3.3 miles/kWh

Dash: 4.1 miles/kWh

Notes: The wall-to-wheels included some preheating, so the numbers can't be used for charging efficiency. Driving temperatures were mostly at or below freezing but car is charged in a garage that is above freezing. Elevation range: 8000 feet to 5750 feet. All driving includes steep hills. No multi-lane highway driving at all. Some of the driving is on dirt roads.

Month : Feb-2012
a. 618 Miles
b. 178 kWh (Wall - Blink)
c. 3.5 Miles/kWh (Wall)
d. 4.1 Miles/kWh (Leaf)
e. 4.0 Miles/kWh (CarWings)
f. $19.6
g. 3.2 Cents/Mile

I'll do a full year report later.

the leaf says 4.0 to now 4.4 kw/hr, i can get to 4.6 but you can't use freeways

i charge at night with pge offpeak program so that's $.09 per kw/hr. i estimate my bill to be ~$40 per month (700-800 miles per mo.)

had the leaf for 3700 miles and 5 months

i'll get some data when the wife gets home...

March mileage:

Wall-to-wheels: 3.6 miles/kWh

Dash: 4.3 miles/kWh

As the weather warms, and March was unseasonably warm and dry here, my miles/kWh continues to increase. I'm curious as to what sort of numbers I will get in summer. I'll never get the numbers that the mild-weather flatlanders get, but I think I might get as high as 5.0 on the dash.

Notes: The wall-to-wheels included some preheating, so the numbers can't be used for charging efficiency. Driving temperatures were mostly above freezing, 30s to 50s with some 60s. At the end of the month battery temps of five bars became common, after months of four bars only. Elevation range: 8000 feet to 5750 feet. All driving includes steep hills. No multi-lane highway driving at all. Some of the driving is on dirt roads.

Back