planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Re: EVSE Home Assessment Reports

Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:10 pm

JasonT wrote:Thanks - that seems familiar now - that the $100 wasn't "refundable" like the $100 on the car itself, but that it was going to be part of the installation. But I should have gone back and looked - appreciate it. So the question is now, does the quote already include that $100 deduction? If so then their costs are even that much more outrageous. If not, then presumably I can get the $100 deducted off of their $721.12 EVSE price. If this is the case then I will be leaning a little more towards staying with them instead of going for someone else's EVSE. Unless, of course, they are sticking by literally the 'cost of the installation' and won't apply it towards the unit itself.
My guess is they say what they mean and they mean what they say. If AV doesn't do the installation you don't get credit for the $100. They won't bill you until after the installation is done. That is when you will see the credit show up.

As I said, my guess.
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

JasonT

Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:23 am

planet4ever wrote:My guess is they say what they mean and they mean what they say. If AV doesn't do the installation you don't get credit for the $100. They won't bill you until after the installation is done. That is when you will see the credit show up.
Your guess has now been confirmed as fact. I decided to call back Aerovironment and get this confirmed. Sarah told me that the $100 is only being applied towards the installation. Her reasoning was something to do with that the $100 is going to the electrician, so if the electrician doesn't come out than the $100 goes away. That sounds a little fishy to me, because I thought I read somewhere that the electricians aren't getting paid for the initial assessment anyway -- so the money hasn't gone anywhere, and should be able to go to whatever.

I'm getting less and less happy with this as it progresses. Unless Aerovironment can radically drop their estimate, I'm going to be looking elsewhere and kissing my $100 goodbye.

Gonewild
Delivery Date: 18 May 2011
Leaf Number: 229

Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:58 am

planet4ever wrote:
JasonT wrote:Thanks - that seems familiar now - that the $100 wasn't "refundable" like the $100 on the car itself, but that it was going to be part of the installation. But I should have gone back and looked - appreciate it. So the question is now, does the quote already include that $100 deduction? If so then their costs are even that much more outrageous. If not, then presumably I can get the $100 deducted off of their $721.12 EVSE price. If this is the case then I will be leaning a little more towards staying with them instead of going for someone else's EVSE. Unless, of course, they are sticking by literally the 'cost of the installation' and won't apply it towards the unit itself.
My guess is they say what they mean and they mean what they say. If AV doesn't do the installation you don't get credit for the $100. They won't bill you until after the installation is done. That is when you will see the credit show up.

As I said, my guess.
That is no different from getting an estimate on a car repair. If you do not get the car fixed by them you pay the $60 or so in diagnostic cost. Yes like the car repair it is included in the price
Over 25,300 miles Plus - Now Sold/ Lease given back to Nissan 8-25-2012
Ordered Glacier Pearl Nissan Leaf SL eTech Edition on 8/31, Delivered March 1, 2011
POWERED By SunPower 5.16kw PV Solar home 3 Solar water panels.
Reserved 4/20

TimeHorse
Delivery Date: 02 Nov 2011

Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:13 am

JasonT wrote:Your guess has now been confirmed as fact. I decided to call back Aerovironment and get this confirmed. Sarah told me that the $100 is only being applied towards the installation. Her reasoning was something to do with that the $100 is going to the electrician, so if the electrician doesn't come out than the $100 goes away. That sounds a little fishy to me, because I thought I read somewhere that the electricians aren't getting paid for the initial assessment anyway -- so the money hasn't gone anywhere, and should be able to go to whatever.
Well, IMHO, on the one hand I think if we don't get the money back it better damn well go to the electricians at least eventually because they're the ones who schlepped their tucheses out to the houses to do the assessment, not just sit behind a phone in a cool office sipping latte. Okay, that's a bit harsh. As I said, I think AeroVironment makes a fine charger, and some of the people you deal with are quite nice despite all else. But I also have to admit for those of you with trivial installs, the fact that you had to have an assessment at all kind of sucks, never mind the $99 that may have better been spent on a local, bonded and certified electrician of your choosing. Interestingly enough, we should all remember that the guys coming out to our houses are in fact local, bonded and certified electricians of AV's choosing. Most stories I've heard about them have been positive. I just hope we've been positive too because you never know: when you pick up the yellow pages to call up a local guy of your choosing, he might just be the guy AV sent! :)

BTW, it is my personal belief that the outrageous "labor" quotes AV is sending reflects some large kickback AV is getting that's not going to the installers. I could be wrong, but that is a distinct possibility.
RIP CO2 Fre, 27 months, 42,282 mi & 11 bars.
unAmerican Job & Nissan's Rapid Depreciation cost $20,000!
5 hours on the road daily w/o Charge at Work on 100%.

Long Live CO2 Fre, Maxed 2013 SL, 20,000 mi/yr lease.
http://aecn.timehorse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gasmiser1

Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:35 am

Reps from Leviton and Schneider at the 2010 Plug-in show said that AV and Coulomb Tech (ChargePoint) were run by venture capitalists. I'm sure that is a large part of why the assessment pricing is so high.
2nd leased 2014 Nissan LEAF, 2500 miles, leased 5/4/14
(1st Leaf, 3/29/11, leased until 5/4/14, 45,000 miles)
2014 Chevy Volt, 11,200 miles, leased 11/2013
Future Tesla Model S owner :-)
Central Coast EV Member
SF BayLEAF Member
Model S Member

greenleaf

Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:47 am

TimeHorse wrote:
JasonT wrote:Your guess has now been confirmed as fact. I decided to call back Aerovironment and get this confirmed. Sarah told me that the $100 is only being applied towards the installation. Her reasoning was something to do with that the $100 is going to the electrician, so if the electrician doesn't come out than the $100 goes away. That sounds a little fishy to me, because I thought I read somewhere that the electricians aren't getting paid for the initial assessment anyway -- so the money hasn't gone anywhere, and should be able to go to whatever.
Well, IMHO, on the one hand I think if we don't get the money back it better damn well go to the electricians at least eventually because they're the ones who schlepped their tucheses out to the houses to do the assessment, not just sit behind a phone in a cool office sipping latte. Okay, that's a bit harsh.
I doubt it. I bet AV gets to keep (most of) the $100.

No thanks AV. I am getting the Leviton unit and installing it without your outrageous fees.
2011 Leaf: reserved 4/2010, delivered 3/2011 (VIN 9XX), sold 2/2014.
EVP Blink EVSE installed 4/2011.
OpenEVSE installed 3/2014.
3.22 kW DC Solar PV.

JPC2822

Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:04 am

AV also makes military weapons- the fighter drone. I think they are used to getting away with over pricing.
John Paul Cabrera
LEAF Order date 09/01, Fontana Nissan
Next ride: Silver SL LEAF VIN 313 with License plate Qbn LEAF
Estimated delivery: Was Week of February 11th, now Week of Feb. 23rd
Delivered 02/14/11!
AV cash-and-carry installed 12/16/10

evnow
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303

Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:39 am

gasmiser1 wrote:Reps from Leviton and Schneider at the 2010 Plug-in show said that AV and Coulomb Tech (ChargePoint) were run by venture capitalists. I'm sure that is a large part of why the assessment pricing is so high.
Venture Capitalists don't run compnies. They invest in them and let the management run the comapnies.

AV is a 40 year old company - not some VC funded startup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AeroVironment

Coulomb is a newer company started in 2007. Looks like it is founded by former Cisco & Lucent execs.

http://www.coulombtech.com/about-management.php
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:17 am

Do we know of ANYBODY, even one person, who has ACCEPTED their AV bid?

Perhaps AV will be left with a batch of EVSEs to "dump" on the marketplace?
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius
2011 LEAF, 2014 Tesla S85
2018 & 2019 Tesla Model 3
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
Craigslist: Xm5000Li Electric Motorcycle

JasonT

Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:29 am

garygid wrote:Do we know of ANYBODY, even one person, who has ACCEPTED their AV bid?
As near as I can tell, there currently is no way to accept the quote/bid. So even if someone wants to accept it, I don't believe they can at this time.

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”