GPS locating feature for Carwings?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zhengst

With the GPS, it should not be hard to map the position of the Leaf on a map to be tracked on a PC or smartphone or tablet, or to give out alert if the car moves without the owner's knowledge, or to simply help locate the car if the owner forgets where the car was parked. MobileMe has such feature for iPhone and iPad called "Where is my iPhone/iPad"

+1, I was really surprised to find that this is not already part of Carwings.

Something that runs on your phone is great for locating your phone, but that does not work to find your car because your phone is not usually in the car. In fact, you are using that phone to look for your car, aren't you?

I am seriously considering adding a phone that always lives in my Leaf just so I can run the "Where is my Leaf" app. This would be a wasteful duplication because the car already has a GPS and AT&T wireless service and could theoretically do more things with them.

The other related application I have in mind is keeping track of how much time and power each segment of road actually takes. This would allow making an "efficiency map" that could help plan routes and compare how well you are doing vs. your or others' history for this route. Distance per kWh is nice, but how well am I doing going up this hill today vs. my average or best?

zhengst said:
With the GPS, it should not be hard to map the position of the Leaf on a map to be tracked on a PC or smartphone or tablet, or to give out alert if the car moves without the owner's knowledge, or to simply help locate the car if the owner forgets where the car was parked. MobileMe has such feature for iPhone and iPad called "Where is my iPhone/iPad"
Yes, except that Nissan has chosen to follow the instructions of the car thief over the instructions of the car owner regarding data transmission. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7471

Back