Leafs in Utah

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darren said:
I can't believe I missed the get together. I have been busy lately and haven't been on the board much. Would love to get together sometime.

I went with the EVSE upgrade and love it! I considered the Watt Station but it was not out when I was looking last summer.

I have been to Park City up Provo Canyon. Going up drained the battery a lot. Coming down I used very little. It was last summer. Not sure I would do it in cold conditions as I didn't have much left.

Do not worry, I am sure we will get together again soon. Have you found any J1772 stations in Park City ?

PlugShare claimed there was one in Park City months ago but I never used it. I just checked ago minutes ago and it now appears to be gone.

I have found that there are plenty of 110v plugs at the entrance to the resort at the Canyons. As long as I leave the keys with the valet, they don't mind me using them.

Any RV parks in the area (maybe with 240v 14-50R sockets)?

If I win the HGTV 2012 Dream Home near Midway,
I will try to add more Solar PV panels (apparently it has 8),
add some charging outlets,
and get permission to run a 2-room B&B for visitors.

I am sure there are RV parks up that direction but who wants to hang out at an RV park in the middle of winter while the car charges?

Photo from our day in the park!

21d1m9.jpg

There is an air quality article on http://www.KSL.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; today.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=960&sid=19006666&title=legislative-committee-sends-air-quality-task-force-bill-through-to-house" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I sent an email to the authors of the article, letting them know we already have a solution for this problem.

KJD

KSL wants to interview Leaf owners, so I set up Monday afternoon 1 PM at the EV charge station in Liberty Park.

Darren if you can make it that would be great. I already talked to Michael and Kelly on the phone and they will be there also. I figure the more EV's we can have there the better.

KJD

KJD said:
KSL wants to interview Leaf owners, so I set up Monday afternoon 1 PM at the EV charge station in Liberty Park.

Darren if you can make it that would be great. I already talked to Michael and Kelly on the phone and they will be there also. I figure the more EV's we can have there the better.

KJD
Ah... great! Keep us posted on the outcome! Hope they air something significant. How I envy you Leaf owners along the Wasatch Front. I am pretty isolated down here in St. "Gorgeous." Can't wait to get my Leaf, however, since the driving range and climate around here are both perfect for EVs. :)

KJD said:
There is an air quality article on http://www.KSL.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; today.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=960&sid=19006666&title=legislative-committee-sends-air-quality-task-force-bill-through-to-house" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I sent an email to the authors of the article, letting them know we already have a solution for this problem.

KJD

Hello to anyone who has wandered into the Utah thread from elsewhere (& made it to page 4!), here's a little pertinent geography/meteorology info: Salt Lake City sits in a big, beautiful bowl 35 x 25 miles or so with big mountains to the west and even bigger ones, with the ski resorts in them, to the east. Several other urban areas to the north & south are more or less similarly situated. During high atmospheric pressure periods, usually in the winter, the air mass over the basin stabilizes into an "inversion" with the cold air on the bottom & the warm air on top w no movement whatsoever, sometimes for weeks! Makes for nice ski days but REALLY BAD AIR in the valley where everybody lives.
It gets so thick that "snow" falls which is basically frozen smog. The media euphemism is "haze" (they still use that one in L.A. too.) point is, it's mostly the result of personal transportation. So we bought a LEAF. I am not anybody's idea of an early adopter, but now I feel like a pioneer. Regarding the photo a few posts back, I wanted to have a 'before' picture, the 'after', I figure, will need to be taken from a high vantage point, showing hundreds of vehicles stretching into the distance at the EV rendezvous we'll have there. It's a big park. You're all invited. ML & KJWL

Darren said:
I am sure there are RV parks up that direction but who wants to hang out at an RV park in the middle of winter while the car charges?

I think it makes a LOT of difference WHO you get to "hang around" with, ...
and if there are kids along! :eek:

Try a LEAF-Gathering for a buffet lunch (<$10) at 11:14 AM
at CHUCK-A-RAMA on 186 just East of 71 in Salt Lake City.

Say, on Saturday the 11th of February?

Any suggestions, or interest?

Definitely interested. Will likely be out of town on the 11th.

4th or 18th would be better for me.

I'll have to check out the location of he venue as I am in Utah county.

Being up and over the pass, and south-east, are Park City and Midway immune to the "nasty air" problems of SLC, etc.?

The HGTV 2012 Dream Home is on lot 5 AND 6 of River Meadows Ranch, just NE of Midway, just yards from the Provo river.

Garygid - do you live in SL? It looked like you were from California. As far as getting together, the 11th or 18th would be better for me. Darren might be out of town on the 11th so shall we shoot for the 18th? Am curious why at 11:14 at Chuckarama? Any other thoughts? K

I an in CA, but I wanted to encourage you folks to get together. So, these choices are really yours, since I will not be able to attend.

The 18th is good, and C-A-R opens at 11 AM. The 11:17 was just a ... thoughtful time, but also I was also poking some fun at precision. :D

If the meeting time was a gauge on the LEAF, it might say "from Late Morning to Early Afternoon". :lol:

Yes, I certainly should have given some greater latitude in the Start-Meeting time, perhaps something like 11:16:15 to 11:17:45 :eek: :lol:

Since Darren is coming from the Valley maybe we could meet at the Sweet Tomatoes in Sandy on Febrary 18th at noon. That would help split the distance somewhat. We also could do something else or just get together for coffee. Kelly

My Suggestion:

Whoever is willing to make (or coordinate) these decisions (date, time, location) for your LEAF-Gatherings in the SLC area would become the SLC Branch Manager.

That person should start a Thread in the Regional Forum area, perhaps titled "SLC Region LEAF-Gathering #2: 18 Feb".

Then, this "Manager" can always edit the first post, and that post's title (which is also the Thread's title), to keep them both up to date, with next meeting location, directions, date, and time(s).

Then, THIS thread can resume being Utah-Owners discussions.

I have found that our local LEAF-enthusiasts REALLY enjoy our Gatherings here, so I am just trying to encourage you there to ... continue what you have started. :D

KJWL said:
Since Darren is coming from the Valley maybe we could meet at the Sweet Tomatoes in Sandy on Febrary 18th at noon. That would help split the distance somewhat. We also could do something else or just get together for coffee. Kelly
When you lucky owners on the Wasatch Front get together for your next Leaf Storm, perhaps you would consider discussing a united effort to tell our Utah legislators to give EVs the same $2,500 tax incentive they bestow upon CNG vehicles...? I have contacted legislators, the governor, the DMV, the SL mayor's office, consumer groups like the Clean Cities Coalition, and written several letters-to-the-editor about this inequity:

In the Ogden Standard Examinar:

In the Salt Lake Tribune:

It might (?) help if the powers-that-be in this state were to realize that mine is not the "sole voice in the wilderness." :idea:

Happy Leafing to you!

KJWL said:

I'm liking the Sweet Tomatoes on the 18th idea and I think my wife will as well (she loves that place). I will likely bring my kids as well. Anybody else interested in bringing kids?

Back