Ingineer
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969

Re: What is a "Gid"?

Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:19 pm

Both these figures are obtained directly from the battery ECU in the car, and there are no calculations done on my part. Sorry, but I can't give any more technical details out at this time. But I will say something's exciting on the horizon!

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/[/size] - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:28 pm

I hope this is more concrete than the LED headlight DRL mod that was bantered about some time ago and than mysteriously disappeared from discussion... :lol:
Ingineer wrote:Both these figures are obtained directly from the battery ECU in the car, and there are no calculations done on my part. Sorry, but I can't give any more technical details out at this time. But I will say something's exciting on the horizon!

-Phil
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

Ingineer

Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:13 pm

TomT wrote:I hope this is more concrete than the LED headlight DRL mod that was bantered about some time ago and than mysteriously disappeared from discussion...
It did not "mysteriously disappear". If you read fully you will see that posted that I don't have a schematic available for the DRL mod, nor will I provide one because of the extent of modifications needed in crictical areas of the Leaf's systems. I provided information on how to perform the VSP mod, and several people have already caused problems with their car. I will not release information that will encourage people to do anything to their cars that could be harmful. Period.

Poking me like this is not the best way to encourage me to share anything in the future. I want to help the Leaf (and greater EV) community as much as I can, but it's not possible to give everything people ask. I get many emails a day asking for help, opinions, custom work, etc. Just not possible!

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/[/size] - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:16 pm

Curious what would behoove them to settle on 80Wh as a unit. Is there some other whole (or decimal) unit of energy that would be the equivalent?
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

TomT

Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:48 pm

Well, since EVDriver was going on and on about it, the logical assumption was that it must have been released in some form and would therefore be forthcoming... Sorry, if the intent was misunderstood!
Ingineer wrote:If you read fully you will see that posted that I don't have a schematic available for the DRL mod, nor will I provide one because of the extent of modifications needed in crictical areas of the Leaf's systems.
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

GeekEV
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 0308

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:12 pm

Ingineer wrote:Both these figures are obtained directly from the battery ECU in the car, and there are no calculations done on my part. Sorry, but I can't give any more technical details out at this time. But I will say something's exciting on the horizon!
Damn you and your teases! I love to hear about all this cool stuff (please don't stop), but then I get bummed that either: a) it isn't yet ready for public consumption; or b) I'm not smart enough to figure it out myself. :oops:
Ingineer wrote:Poking me like this is not the best way to encourage me to share anything in the future. I want to help the Leaf (and greater EV) community as much as I can, but it's not possible to give everything people ask. I get many emails a day asking for help, opinions, custom work, etc. Just not possible!
Easy now, I know it's all too easy to read into what people write, but he did put a LOL smiley on the end of his comment... For most of us, it's like being a little kid waiting for presents on Christmas - it gets hard to wait. You, well, you're Santa of course. Only without his magical super powers that let him take care of everything in one day! I'm sure we don't want to piss you off intentionally because then all we'll get is a lump of coal. :lol:

Everyone breathe!

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
2013 Tesla Model S 60kWh[/url]
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter
9.4kW Solar Array + enphase energy

Ingineer

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:20 pm

GeekEV wrote:I'm sure we don't want to piss you off intentionally because then all we'll get is a lump of coal. :lol:

Everyone breathe!
Sorry if I'm a little hair-trigger, I've been dealing with the constant inundation of idiots emailing and calling me after the yahoo article surfaced. There are people really pissed about this, and I'm getting all kinds of haters and crackpots coming at me. It's truly a shame there is that much anti-EV sentiment!

-Phil

TomT

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:33 pm

I thought it was a good article... With what are people taking umbrage?
Ingineer wrote:Sorry if I'm a little hair-trigger, I've been dealing with the constant inundation of idiots emailing and calling me after the yahoo article surfaced. There are people really pissed about this, and I'm getting all kinds of haters and crackpots coming at me. -Phil

Boomer23
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:33 pm

Ingineer wrote:
GeekEV wrote:I'm sure we don't want to piss you off intentionally because then all we'll get is a lump of coal. :lol:

Everyone breathe!
Sorry if I'm a little hair-trigger, I've been dealing with the constant inundation of idiots emailing and calling me after the yahoo article surfaced. There are people really pissed about this, and I'm getting all kinds of haters and crackpots coming at me. It's truly a shame there is that much anti-EV sentiment!

-Phil
Wow, I just linked to the Yahoo article and read some of the over 2,000 comments. What a cross section of know-it-all, closed minded haters and perpetual motion believers! Sorry you're being plagued by these people, Phil.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:35 pm

To the best of my current understanding:

However one scales the "raw" data, it appeared to turbo2ltr that it was (in the original Old-Bars firmware) being used to create the E-fuel Bars (0 to 12 Bars). So, it appears to be used internally by the LEAF as a "fuel" gauge, which I loosely called "state of charge".

Although several have gotten "281" after a "full" charge, many typically get less, often in the 270's.

Scaling these "Gids" by 80 (or 100/281) does not change the base data, which still gets "used up" faster at the top end, and occasionally appears to be "not really available" at the low end.

You can scale 281 (by 80) to 22480 Wh (or by 0.08 to get 22.5 kWh) if you find it helpful, however the top "kWh" will still disappear faster, and the bottom couple of "kWh" might occasionally be just "wishful thinking".

So, however you like it scaled, please use this "Gid" value ... cautiously.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius, now for sale
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2018 Tesla Model 3
2014 Tesla S, Model 3 in 2019
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

Return to “Engineering”