How to adjust your mirrors

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LEAFfan

Azrich said:
I like your word: "cutesy". If the larger square mirrors allows me to have better side visibility that the cuter ones, I'm all for it.

I'm willing to bet that most people don't know how to set their side mirrors so there is NO blind spot. I read this in the newspaper from an auto driving expert many years ago and have been using it ever since. There is no need to turn around to check the side lanes with this method. You put up the front windows, then lean your head against the glass, and put the mirror so you can see down the side of the car like most people do when they are sitting up straight. Then do it with the other side. I find on mine that they are ALL the way out so I never have to look back to check for vehicles. You use your rearview mirror first, then the side ones to check for traffic. I've been driving with them that way ever since I moved out here. And you don't need those little circular ones either on a car (maybe big trucks) that people put on sometimes.

leaffan said:
Azrich said:
I like your word: "cutesy". If the larger square mirrors allows me to have better side visibility that the cuter ones, I'm all for it.

I'm willing to bet that most people don't know how to set their side mirrors so there is NO blind spot. I read this in the newspaper from an auto driving expert many years ago and have been using it ever since. There is no need to turn around to check the side lanes with this method. You put up the front windows, then lean your head against the glass, and put the mirror so you can see down the side of the car like most people do when they are sitting up straight. Then do it with the other side. I find on mine that they are ALL the way out so I never have to look back to check for vehicles. You use your rearview mirror first, then the side ones to check for traffic. I've been driving with them that way ever since I moved out here. And you don't need those little circular ones either on a car (maybe big trucks) that people put on sometimes.

Someone told me about that a few months ago and now my mirrors are set the same way. It's AMAZING the difference it makes!!! A car that used to be completely hidden in your blind spot now completely takes up your entire mirror....the mirror is pointed RIGHT at your blind spot. Once you properly adjust them and take the time to get used to them, you'll never be able to drive without properly set side mirrors again!

Jimmydreams said:
leaffan said:
Azrich said:

Someone told me about that a few months ago and now my mirrors are set the same way. It's AMAZING the difference it makes!!! A car that used to be completely hidden in your blind spot now completely takes up your entire mirror....the mirror is pointed RIGHT at your blind spot. Once you properly adjust them and take the time to get used to them, you'll never be able to drive without properly set side mirrors again!

Absolutely! The most important thing is to use your review mirror first, then if you don't see any vehicles, you look in your side mirrors. It's failproof! :mrgreen:

leaffan said:
I'm willing to bet that most people don't know how to set their side mirrors so there is NO blind spot. I read this in the newspaper from an auto driving expert many years ago and have been using it ever since.

This is AAA's recommended method and have been using this.

Another way to do this is to adjust the mirrors so that there is only a slight overlap between the rear view & the side view mirror. Now your blind spot will be the small cars right next to you ...

evnow said:
leaffan said:
I'm willing to bet that most people don't know how to set their side mirrors so there is NO blind spot. I read this in the newspaper from an auto driving expert many years ago and have been using it ever since.

This is AAA's recommended method and have been using this.

Another way to do this is to adjust the mirrors so that there is only a slight overlap between the rear view & the side view mirror. Now your blind spot will be the small cars right next to you ...

Are you saying you won't have to turn your head around to check the blind spot or just to see 'small cars' beside you. If that's the case, then AAA doesn't know the best way. If I remember the article, the guy was a driving instructor. With his method, there is absolutely no blind spot, no matter what size including motorcycles.

leaffan said:
Are you saying you won't have to turn your head around to check the blind spot or just to see 'small cars' beside you. If that's the case, then AAA doesn't know the best way. If I remember the article, the guy was a driving instructor. With his method, there is absolutely no blind spot, no matter what size including motorcycles.

The method you gave is what AAA recommending. The method I gave does basically the same thing.

I'm just saying you need to be aware of any small cars next to you apart from what the mirrors show, even though the mirror setting will eliminate traditional blind spot.

evnow said:
leaffan said:

The method you gave is what AAA recommending. The method I gave does basically the same thing.

I'm just saying you need to be aware of any small cars next to you apart from what the mirrors show, even though the mirror setting will eliminate traditional blind spot.

I guess you haven't tried what I said. So until you try it, you won't be able to see that you NEVER have to check even for small cars or motorcycles because they will be able to be seen. I've been using this for years now, and as I said before, it never fails. It is much safer than having to turn your head and take your eyes off the road.

leaffan said:
I guess you haven't tried what I said.

I've tried it. It works in my car - but doesn't in my wife's.

Anyway, the Car Talk guys endorse my method ;)

http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/mirrors/

ps : I should note that in various rental cars I've tried, the method you describe is again hit & miss. I should probably move this to a different topic ...

Back