Your decision to go E-9B (with PG&E)?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My cost was about the same to install the new meter about $ 3k.
My power bill for just power off the new meter is about $11.

VENK

Unfortunately, new meter install was not economically feasible for us. Even under ideal circumstances it would take well over 5 years to pay back; probably longer. Definitely far longer if new rates take effect. Just couldn't justify the gamble; it will be far more effective use of funds to improve insulation and replace our ancient AC system. During the summer it runs nonstop and still struggles to keep the house at 80 degrees during the hottest days. We have tremendous solar opportunity, but that is a bit further down the road. We are not rich enough to be as economical as we'd like :lol:

I wanted to get a second meter installed but the local building department would not approve it. I'm glad. In the 3 months I have been on E-9 with one meter I have saved an average of $70 per month, even though my usage has increased. However, I don't know what will happen in the summer; unlike the winter e-9 rate, the summer E-9 peak is $0.30 to $0.54!

Nubo said:
We are not rich enough to be as economical as we'd like :lol:
Yeah, we're constantly frustrated by this. We could really save on gas if we could fund an upgrade of our windows. The E-9B meter install was chump change compared to that upgrade though.

By the way, the first real bill came in and the EV account cost matches the previous "bill" I got, but there was a mix up on the meter install that PG&E that affected how they charged my house. Long story short, they installed a non-TOU on the EV meter at first, realized that mistake and came back out and accidentally installed a TOU on the house meter instead. When they finally realized they had made two mistake now they switched the meters so that the TOU is now on the EV meter and the house has the non-TOU meter. :roll: Thankfully they cancelled the old bill that we got for the house charging us way too much and sent a new one out.

glemieux said:
Nubo said:
We are not rich enough to be as economical as we'd like :lol:
Yeah, we're constantly frustrated by this. We could really save on gas if we could fund an upgrade of our windows. The E-9B meter install was chump change compared to that upgrade though.

By the way, the first real bill came in and the EV account cost matches the previous "bill" I got, but there was a mix up on the meter install that PG&E that affected how they charged my house. Long story short, they installed a non-TOU on the EV meter at first, realized that mistake and came back out and accidentally installed a TOU on the house meter instead. When they finally realized they had made two mistake now they switched the meters so that the TOU is now on the EV meter and the house has the non-TOU meter. :roll: Thankfully they cancelled the old bill that we got for the house charging us way too much and sent a new one out.

Glemieux,
When you got your 1st E9B bill, did you check the rate PGE were charging you?

Till today, I could never understand how they bill me. I can only assume it's all correct. If my usage for a particular month is only Tier-1; "baseline energy charges" looks correct for 0.06 cents a kilowatt plus service charges . However, I have a mixed tier usage, the whole 6-7 page of calculations look so confusing.

If you had figured it out, pls do share ....

mxp said:
Till today, I could never understand how they bill me. I can only assume it's all correct. If my usage for a particular month is only Tier-1; "baseline energy charges" looks correct for 0.06 cents a kilowatt plus service charges . However, I have a mixed tier usage, the whole 6-7 page of calculations look so confusing.
Have you looked at the official PG&E tariff? You can view or download it here:
http://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-9.pdf

Page 4 spells out the rates for E-9B. You said "mixed tier", so I assume you understand that whatever tier you reach for the month, you always start the month buying at the tier 1 rate, and move to the next tier rate when you exhaust your quota at the previous one.

Caution: They change these rates frequently, always effective the first of the month. The current one took effect on March 1. The one before that took effect on January 1. If you are looking at a bill that covers parts of February and March, it will be very confusing.

Ray

Back