LEAFSCAN™ - The Ultimate Instrument for your LEAF!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ingineer

pic

This is a prototype unit running Alpha software, and so far only has basic functions. More to come!

The LEAFSCAN™ will give you access to almost any parameter from your LEAF you'd like to see, and also supports logging, updates, and user customization all via SD card.

Some of the parameters include true SOC (with 5 digit precision!), Volts, Amps, Individual Lithium Ion battery cell parameters, battery health, temperatures, number of charges, number of QC's, indicator light history, software revision listing, motor torque/Horsepower, total kilowatts used/charged, last drive kW, last charge kW, and many more! Since the unit can be updated by the user simply by downloading a file from the web, new features and capabilities can be added. Custom alarms will be able to be set on any parameter, so that you are alerted when items of interest hit certain values.

LEAFSCAN™ can also read and reset all DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes), there is nothing else that can do this except the $10,000 Consult III+ scantools that the Nissan Dealers use. Can also be used to set the "secret" dealer-only settings.

Eventually we hope to have the unit allow custom settings for your car, such as allowing you to dial in the SOC you'd like to charge to instead of only being limited to 80 or 100%.

We are working on this as fast as possible, and we will announce on our web site when the LEAFSCAN™ is available. Please drop us a message with your email address and request to be added to LEAFSCAN™ email list, that way we can contact you when we begin taking orders. (Hopefully soon!)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmp7PRzJVpc[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cxv7XD3-DQ[/youtube]

The prototype unit is almost exactly the size of a credit card, and significantly thinner than the Leaf's keyfob. (appx. 3/8") Note: All specifications subject to change!

-Phil

EDIT: To be clear: I do NOT want deposits, orders, or prepayments at this time. We are working hard to finalize hardware and determine costs, and which number of units we will make initially. This is tricky, which is why I asked for feedback on other potential options. If people can pre-order (not yet!) that will give us an idea of how many units we can afford to make, and the more we make, the cheaper they are. I cannot give any numbers at this time, please understand that. I'd like to ask that people spend a few minutes reading the thread instead of having me stop working to answer the same stuff over and over. Please continue to give me feedback on your thoughts and ideas though, I definitely want to be sure that this is a great device!

How does it interface to the car? I like where you mounted it on top of the mirror but wonder how it has to be cabled...

Any hints on the price point?

(I've said this before but Nissan is an idiot for not hiring Phil to work on Leaf development...)

Now that's what I want!. Since you intend to allow settings, I assume there's input. Buttons, touch screen, or ?? for the input? Also, is the power/regen bar any different from the pie shaped one on the energy screen...or the dots on the dash for that matter?

Very nice! Will this design be open?

One thing that our local group has mentioned is using bluetooth to communicate with a phone instead of needing a display.

I would prefer NOT to have to use my phone for a variety of technical, logistical and practical reasons. I much prefer a dedicated display such as this...
QueenBee said:
One thing that our local group has mentioned is using bluetooth to communicate with a phone instead of needing a display.

TomT said:
How does it interface to the car? I like where you mounted it on top of the mirror but wonder how it has to be cabled...
It connects to the DLC3 connector under the dash, and has a low-profile right-angle connector. The cord is thin and flexible and long enough to easily reach the mirror (my favorite location).

pic

TomT said:
Any hints on the price point?
Still sourcing parts, including injection moldings and other things with large NRE costs, so I can't speculate until we know what we're up against. I'm going to make it as affordable as I can and still allow us to have success in the Leaf's limited market.

TomT said:
(I've said this before but Nissan is an idiot for not hiring Phil to work on Leaf development...)
Not sure I'd want to, as they seem to be pretty inflexible. I probably wouldn't have the freedom to do all these fun things! =)

-Phil

davewill said:
Now that's what I want!. Since you intend to allow settings, I assume there's input. Buttons, touch screen, or ?? for the input? Also, is the power/regen bar any different from the pie shaped one on the energy screen...or the dots on the dash for that matter?
Right now the prototype has buttons, but I'll probably switch to a rotary encoder (knob-type) that lets you scroll faster and more intuitively. The screen is really a bit too small for a touchscreen interface, and it would increase the cost quite a bit.

The analog bar graph is much more responsive and sensitive than anything in the car now. There's still a lot of software work going on, but it currently has the capability to update faster than the screen can. (and most definitely your eyes!) The bargraph/kW/amps are true readings, that show you everything, not just the motor.

Ultimately you'll be able to define what parameters you want to see, and choose the size of the text, as well as add analog bargraphs for them.

-Phil

Sounds splendid.

Where is the Battery Temperature seen?
Are there 4 of them, or just one?

Did you find the 4 tire pressures in the CAN data?

Thanks, Gary

No argument there since we all benefit from the results of your "fun!"
Ingineer said:
TomT said:
Not sure I'd want to, as they seem to be pretty inflexible. I probably wouldn't have the freedom to do all these fun things! =)

QueenBee said:
Very nice! Will this design be open?
No, at least not initially. Unfortunately the realities of development cost means we can't have an open design. There will be a way to customize the unit though, and all the files and templates will be openly available. Of course, anyone is welcome to buy the hardware and write their own software and open-source that, but we still have to pay for the development cost. If there were a million Leafs on the road, then the market would be large enough to cover development costs easily and we could open-source it.

QueenBee said:
This is a bad idea, as everytime you get in the car, you'd have to connect it, load the app, etc. Then you'd have to reverse each time you leave the car, as you don't want to leave it in the car. You'd also still need almost all the existing hardware to interface to the Leaf's high-speed networks, but also including a bluetooth radio, and that would further increase the costs. On top of that, FCC approval would then be needed. The point is to have it always available and easy to read. For instance, If you wanted to use your phone for something else, you'd lose the instrumentation. You'd also have to contend with connecting a charger anyway to keep your phone powered, so wireless doesn't really mean wire-free! Then there's the size and readability. The LEAFSCAN is very compact and thin, and the display is highly visible, yet automatically dims with the dash lighting.

-Phil

garygid said:
Sounds splendid.

Where is the Battery Temperature seen?
Are there 4 of them, or just one?

Did you find the 4 tire pressures in the CAN data?

Thanks, Gary

Right now it's just showing the average of the 4 temperatures, but in the parameter list, you'll be able to choose them individually. Yes, the tire pressures are also available, but only while the car is active. (the in-wheel transponders go to sleep after a few minutes when the car stops.)

-Phil

Good... but watching those #s tick down so quick is a little disconcerting... There needs to be a way to turn off that so it only has one or no decimal point so it doesn't tick down so quick.

It's all in the head I know... but it seems to go down fast.

cdub said:
Good... but watching those #s tick down so quick is a little disconcerting... There needs to be a way to turn off that so it only has one or no decimal point so it doesn't tick down so quick.

It's all in the head I know... but it seems to go down fast.
I'll make it available at several selectable precisions. I, for one, like seeing it go down as it gives you a good "feel" for your "fuel". =)

-Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back