EV, PHEV specs/dimensions compared

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it possible to add EPA mpg for the PHEVs? It would be nice to compare their standard gas MPG since looking at just their EV range is only have the picture.

Pipcecil said:
Is it possible to add EPA mpg for the PHEVs? It would be nice to compare their standard gas MPG since looking at just their EV range is only have the picture.
Will add the mpg.

I put a bigger picture now ...

evnow said:
Here is the table comparing dimensions and some other specs of all EVs/PHEVs in the US market (or that will be). I'll add more info as they are released.

ev-specs.png

Last updated : 2/13/12

I drove the "Mitsubishi i" tonight at a EV club meeting. Decent pickup even with 4 men in the car. Basic displays but OK. Without the $7,500 I think it would be a very hard sell.

Sounds like they are using (middle?) 80% of the 16kWh. If you lose mileage at some point then you can bring it to the dealer and they can adjust above the 80%.

You can add/correct things (Price, # passengers, HP, etc.) from the "Mitsubishi i" from here: http://i.mitsubishicars.com/miev/features/compare" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Mitsubishi i is the most affordable electric vehicle in America. And with a federal tax incentive it's even more affordable.
ES TRIM
$29,125 MSRP
- $7500 federal tax credit
= $21,625 after tax credit
SE TRIM
$31,125 MSRP
- $7500 federal tax credit
= $23,625 after tax credit
Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. Excludes destination/handling, tax, title, license etc. MSRP is as of 9/1/11 and is subject to change. Retailer price, terms and vehicle availability may vary. See your Mitsubishi retailer for details. Destination/handling charges for Mitsubishi i $850; Alaska/Hawaii $975. Tax savings subject to rules and availability. Taxpayer must incur federal tax liability to receive full benefit. Consult your tax professional. Actual prices set by retailer.
80% of the 16kWh
- Standard home 120V outlet: 22.5 hours 120V (8A)
- Optional home 240V EVSE charging dock: 7.0 hours 240V (15A) requires purchase and installation of Eaton EVSE 240V home charging station)
- Optional CHAdeMO Level 3 public quick-charging: 30 minutes to 80% charge

evnow said:
My numbers include destination ...
OK. There are other things to correct for example 4 passengers vs 5.

Another row on that chart would be interesting showing the approximate usage of the batter.

Mit i would be 12.8 kWh (80%)
Volt would be 10.4 kWh (65%)
LEAF would be 21 kWh (87%)
etc.

Give everyone an idea of bookend SOC that could be expanded into or what the manuf considers to be a good usages

scottf200 said:
There are other things to correct for example 4 passengers vs 5.

Another row on that chart would be interesting showing the approximate usage of the batter.

etc.

Give everyone an idea of bookend SOC that could be expanded into or what the manuf considers to be a good usages
I'll correct the 5 to 4. The problem with "useable" is that they are not published. I try to guess numbers that are not *yet* published, but will be by the time the car is for sale.

evnow said:
scottf200 said:
There are other things to correct for example 4 passengers vs 5.

etc.

I'll correct the 5 to 4. The problem with "useable" is that they are not published. I try to guess numbers that are not *yet* published, but will be by the time the car is for sale.
C&D article in the March issue:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2012-mitsubishi-i-electric-vehicle-test-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I believe the Coda has been lowered to $37k now, for the 31kWh battery version, the EPA range ratings have been released also.

Herm said:
I believe the Coda has been lowered to $37k now, for the 31kWh battery version, the EPA range ratings have been released also.
$37,250 + $895 Dest. Charge = $38,145. Only the 31 kWh battery is currently offered, and the EPA range is 88 miles.

I think you should add hot|cold TMS to the chart.

This article suggestion Coda is going to offer a 36 kWh battery this year.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/automobiles/autoreviews/a-bare-bones-electric-car-that-goes-the-extra-mile.html?_r=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As with all electric vehicles, the key to range is battery capacity. Coda’s 31-kilowatt-hour battery surpasses the Leaf, which has 24-kilowatt-hour pack, and the Focus Electric’s 23 kilowatt-hour pack. (Coda says it will offer a 36 kilowatt-hour battery this year.) Coda also uses an active thermal management system to preserve range in cold and hot weather; it uses air to do the work of regulating temperature, rather than liquid like the Focus Electric.
01WHEE2-articleLarge.jpg

They need to change the grille -- goodness that ruins the looks of this car IMHO.

scottf200 said:
I think you should add hot|cold TMS to the chart.

This article suggestion Coda is going to offer a 36 kWh battery this year.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/automobiles/autoreviews/a-bare-bones-electric-car-that-goes-the-extra-mile.html?_r=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As with all electric vehicles, the key to range is battery capacity. Coda’s 31-kilowatt-hour battery surpasses the Leaf, which has 24-kilowatt-hour pack, and the Focus Electric’s 23 kilowatt-hour pack. (Coda says it will offer a 36 kilowatt-hour battery this year.) Coda also uses an active thermal management system to preserve range in cold and hot weather; it uses air to do the work of regulating temperature, rather than liquid like the Focus Electric.
01WHEE2-articleLarge.jpg

They need to change the grille -- goodness that ruins the looks of this car IMHO.
While I'm near-immune to looks when it comes to car purchases (I fall in that niche of the public for whom BEV range is primary), changing just the grill isn't going to help much. The car will remain bland and unnoticeable with its current body; that's just the way it is.

GRA said:
SNIP

While I'm near-immune to looks when it comes to car purchases (I fall in that niche of the public for whom BEV range is primary), changing just the grill isn't going to help much. The car will remain bland and unnoticeable with its current body; that's just the way it is.

The Coda is not just bland.. it looks very dated/old. I think its noticeable.. but not in a good way. The leaf is at least distinctive and high-tech looking.

On the main table.. the total HP for Karma is 403 HP. other useful karma specs at http://media.fiskerautomotive.com/media/articles/doc/393_1_1.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

evnow said:
Updated with the release of Model S (EPA range & delivery date).
You might want to update the rest of the Model S specs. Some of those numbers currently in your chart are not correct (weight, headroom, width, etc). For example, it now weighs 4647 lbs and is 86" wide with mirrors. It's a beast!

Here's Tesla's numbers:
http://www.teslamotors.com/models/specs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

scottf200 said:
Volt battery is now 16.5 kWh now as well.
An interesting side issue.

The MY '13 Volt is 16.5 kWh, but prior Volts are still 16 kWh. Should the chart only reflect the latest model, or should it include model year differentiations?

Rusty said:
The MY '13 Volt is 16.5 kWh, but prior Volts are still 16 kWh. Should the chart only reflect the latest model, or should it include model year differentiations?
I'd only use the latest model info.

evnow said:
Rusty said:
I'd only use the latest model info.

Agreed.. it only makes sense since this is more for comparison shopping not past year bragging rights.

MY13 also moves the EPA EV range up to 38miles.

Back