Real SOC (State of Charge) - Information

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, what does consistantly getting 240 GIDs (instead of 280) after a full "100%" charge mean (on a "new" car)?

Is it really a car with 14% less battery pack capacity?

Since the Nissan dealer tech says the car is "fine", and the owner seems to get "normal" Range ... (do I have that correct?) ... is it more likely to be an incorrectly calibrated current or voltage sensor that leads to not reporting and calculating enough GIDs?

Either the owner got a low-capacity battery, or some sensor or calculation is wrong?

Could there be another way to explain the low (240) GID value?

Yes. When I plot energy vs gids, there is a lot of noise although the average step size comes to ~80wh (when charging). Can't say with certainty which is the noisy signal, the battery amps signal, battery volts signal, and time stamp or the Available Charge signal (gids). My guess is the former and the Available Charge signal is exactly what it's name implies. Phil wants more resolution so maybe we can figure out a way to fold in the measured battery power using gids as the framework.

garygid said:
So, what does consistantly getting 240 GIDs (instead of 280) after a full "100%" charge mean (on a "new" car)?

Since the Nissan dealer tech says the car is "fine", and the owner seems to get "normal" Range ... (do I have that correct?) ... is it more likely to be an incorrectly calibrated current or voltage sensor that leads to not reporting and calculating enough GIDs?

Either the owner got a low-capacity battery, or some sensor or calculation is wrong?

Based on the power measured at the wall, I think it means my battery really does have ~14% less capacity. The dealer said the CLVI indicated it was fine (only 60mV max-min) however, they still have it and my phone tells me they've charged and discharged twice so they are still looking.

TickTock said:
garygid said:

Based on the power measured at the wall, I think it means my battery really does have ~14% less capacity. The dealer said the CLVI indicated it was fine (only 60mV max-min) however, they still have it and my phone tells me they've charged and discharged twice so they are still looking.

So, you have had the same reduced capacity (and range) since delivery, and this is the first time Nissan has looked at it?

Yeah. I was in denial for a long time. Only recently got confirmation that a gids was the same for me as everyone else (I was hoping my gids were bigger then yours :)). Also there was a lot of noise in the from-the-wall data with people questioning the accuracy of Blink or TED if lots of line noise was present, etc.

Also, I have been charging to 80% and getting 215-230 gids which is pretty close to what everyone else gets for 80% so my range at 80% hasn't been impacted - I only see it when I charge 100%.

great conversation and it is interesting what various people's needs are.

afaic; i am with Phil. the more instantaneous feedback i get, the more i get to know the car. i have already learned a lot just from using the GOM as bad as it but it has given me some insight as to how my actions correlate to the car.

now with the SOC meter, i have learned new things and my ability to determine what i can do with the car has improved and i think that will also get better with the LEAFSCAN

as far as a DTE? dont need it. the Prius has one. i also ignore it as well. it normally started out at 525-565 or so and i normally put 450-500 miles on it so like whatever

TickTock said:
Also, I have been charging to 80% and getting 215-230 gids which is pretty close to what everyone else gets for 80% so my range at 80% hasn't been impacted - I only see it when I charge 100%.

You have only 10 gids between a 80% charge and a 100% one? How many volts do you have in the CV phase of charging to 100% and at what voltage your 80% charges terminate?

Mine are 394V for 100% and 388,5V for 80%, and after charging they drop to 393V and 385,5V.

vegastar said:
TickTock said:

You have only 10 gids between a 80% charge and a 100% one? How many volts do you have in the CV phase of charging to 100% and at what voltage your 80% charges terminate?

Mine are 394V for 100% and 388,5V for 80%, and after charging they drop to 393V and 385,5V.

Not really. 239 was what I was getting when I first got my SOC meter in October. It has increased somewhat over the winter and now I get 255+/- for 100% and 215+/- for 80%. Interestingly, my voltages are identical. For 80%, I get 387-391 and for 100% I get exactly 394 every time (no variation).

Got an update from the dealer earlier today. They have acknowledged that my range does seem to be lower then it should. They ran side by side test with their demo starting with 100% charge and after 39 miles, my car had 35 miles remaining on the GOM and theirs had 53. Sent logs to Osaka to analyze. So one more piece of evidence that gids really are a measure of available charge (just to show this really isn't off-topic :)).

TickTock said:
Got an update from the dealer earlier today. They have acknowledged that my range does seem to be lower then it should. They ran side by side test with their demo starting with 100% charge and after 39 miles, my car had 35 miles remaining on the GOM and theirs had 53. Sent logs to Osaka to analyze. So one more piece of evidence that gids really are a measure of available charge (just to show this really isn't off-topic :)).
They had to drive two cars 39 miles in order to figure out there was a problem??? I would have thought their fancy equipment would tell them in a heartbeat if there was a problem with the battery.

Stoaty said:
TickTock said:
They had to drive two cars 39 miles in order to figure out there was a problem??? I would have thought their fancy equipment would tell them in a heartbeat if there was a problem with the battery.

This is very interesting... thanks for updating us. I really think Nissan is making a mistake by not publicly stating they will offer a sensible battery refresh program down the road. Great way to build customer loyalty.

TickTock,
Glad they are making some discoveries,
and hopefully progress with your car.

I would have wanted to see the cell-pair voltages (AND cell-pair numbers) both near 100% and near "empty".

If the SAME cell-pair is HIGHEST when full and LOWEST when near empty, you have identified your low-capacity cell-pair.

TickTock said:
... Got an update from the dealer earlier today. They have acknowledged that my range does seem to be lower then it should. ...
Very good news...not that your car is faulty, but that your dealer is taking you seriously and doing the diagnostic work needed to find the problem. This has been a worry of mine, that deficiencies like this were going to prove impossible to have fixed under warrranty because there's no way to truly verify them if the dealer refuses to do so.

TickTock said:
vegastar said:
How many volts do you have in the CV phase of charging to 100% and at what voltage your 80% charges terminate?

Interestingly, my voltages are identical. For 80%, I get 387-391 and for 100% I get exactly 394 every time (no variation).
This is very consistent with my understanding, which is that the BMS stops the charge (to 100%) when the battery pack reaches a fixed voltage, which Nissan has set to 95% of the maximum the battery will safely handle. More precisely, if the cell-pairs are not well balanced, it will stop when the weakest cell-pair reaches this setting. A weaker cell-pair hits this voltage limit early, reaching its maximum capacity of coulombs before the other cell-pairs. The cell-pair may be temporarily weaker due to elevated temperature, or permanently weaker.

The 80 watt-hrs for a gid increment is determined by integrating the discharge current times a running estimate of the idle voltage. When the battery goes to idle this idle voltage estimate is corrected. The chief engineer at Google mentioned this. This is why the gid reading can change one or two counts after the car stops (or goes into neutral).

<Edit>
I was thinking that most of your battery impairment might be in just a few weaker battery modules that could be replaced without replacing the whole pack, but the fact that you are reading full pack voltage when the charge stops suggests that the pack is, in fact, well-balanced.

Stoaty said:
TickTock said:

Don't discount the value of empirical evidence. Even if the fancy equipment says something is wrong they may do empirical tests to see how the math translates to real world behavior.

If they are trying to decide on replacement policy for battery packs that exist in tens of thousands of cars and each pack cost thousands of dollars I think it's worth driving two cars 40 miles to get more data. Heck it's cheaper than driving two Sentra's that distance with labor costing them more than the electricity on the Leaf.

Hello everyone,

I am a student researching on optimizing EV charging stations. For my research, I require the SOC and voltage data that comes out of the LeafSpy application in a .csv format for Nissan Leaf 2013 or higher versions. Could anyone please help me out with this?

Thanks
Chinmay
[email protected]

cvad1 said:
Hello everyone,

I am a student researching on optimizing EV charging stations. For my research, I require the SOC and voltage data that comes out of the LeafSpy application in a .csv format for Nissan Leaf 2013 or higher versions. Could anyone please help me out with this?

Thanks
Chinmay
[email protected]

What university? Do you have an .edu email address?

What exact fields do you want? Just SOC and voltage? Charging or driving or both?

Hello,

I'm a Masters Student at Arizona State University. You can reach me at [email protected].

I don't exactly know what the LeafSpy app outputs but a charging log and a trip log would be great. I am looking out for data which shows the variation of SOC when we start charging.

Thanks,
Chinmay

cvad1 said:
Hello,

I'm a Masters Student at Arizona State University. You can reach me at [email protected].

I don't exactly know what the LeafSpy app outputs but a charging log and a trip log would be great. I am looking out for data which shows the variation of SOC when we start charging.

Thanks,
Chinmay

LeafSpy log has these fields:

Date/Time,Lat,Long,Elv,Speed,Gids,SOC,AHr,Pack Volts,Pack Amps,Max CP mV,Min CP mV,Avg CP mV,CP mV Diff,Judgment Value,Pack T1 F,
Pack T1 C,Pack T2 F,Pack T2 C,Pack T3 F,Pack T3 C,Pack T4 F,Pack T4 C,
CP1,CP2,CP3,CP4,CP5,CP6,CP7,CP8,CP9,CP10,CP11,CP12,CP13,CP14,CP15,CP16,CP17,CP18,CP19,CP20,
CP21,CP22,CP23,CP24,CP25,CP26,CP27,CP28,CP29,CP30,CP31,CP32,CP33,CP34,CP35,CP36,CP37,CP38,CP39,CP40,
CP41,CP42,CP43,CP44,CP45,CP46,CP47,CP48,CP49,CP50,CP51,CP52,CP53,CP54,CP55,CP56,CP57,CP58,CP59,CP60,
CP61,CP62,CP63,CP64,CP65,CP66,CP67,CP68,CP69,CP70,CP71,CP72,CP73,CP74,CP75,CP76,CP77,CP78,CP79,CP80,
CP81,CP82,CP83,CP84,CP85,CP86,CP87,CP88,CP89,CP90,CP91,CP92,CP93,CP94,CP95,CP96,12v Bat Amps,VIN,Hx,
12v Bat Volts,Odo(km),QC,L1/L2,TP-FL,TP-FR,TP-RR,TP-RL,Ambient,SOH,RegenWh,BLevel,epoch time,Motor Pwr(w),
Aux Pwr(100w),A/C Pwr(250w),A/C Comp(0.1MPa),Est Pwr A/C(50w),Est Pwr Htr(250w),Plug State,Charge Mode,
OBC Out Pwr,Gear,HVolt1,HVolt2,GPS Status,Power SW,BMS,OBC,Debug,Motor Temp,Inverter 2 Temp,Inverter 4 Temp,
Speed1, Speed2,Wiper Status,Torque Nm

Charging log, starting at what conditions? L1 (120VAC 12A), L2 (208VAC-240VAC 12A-30A) or DCQC

Driving log, what conditions?

If you don't mind me stripping out the Lat and Long, I could send you a few years worth as a .csv file. ~70 MB file. I can strip out other fields if you want. Do you want that much?

Oh, and what time interval do you want? Much but not all of mine is at 30 seconds per point. I know it can be done with shorter times, but not sure how fast.

Hello,

I'm more interested in the first 10 columns of the header you specified. For the charging log, it would be great if you do both L1 and L2 charging. I don't really know what the driving log outputs but it would be great to have a look at it. I am aiming at a 1-minute resolution for the data in order to perform efficient analysis.

It would be great if you could send me the .csv file you specified after stripping of the lat and long. Since it has the data for a couple of years, I could analyze the variation in the performance as well.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,
Chinmay
[email protected]

cvad1 said:
Hello,

I'm more interested in the first 10 columns of the header you specified. For the charging log, it would be great if you do both L1 and L2 charging. I don't really know what the driving log outputs but it would be great to have a look at it. I am aiming at a 1-minute resolution for the data in order to perform efficient analysis.

It would be great if you could send me the .csv file you specified after stripping of the lat and long. Since it has the data for a couple of years, I could analyze the variation in the performance as well.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,
Chinmay
[email protected]

I do not do much L1 charging. And even if I did, I'd be unlikely to have substantial logs of it. L1 charging is slow, and I'd almost never wait around for it. L2 is a bit faster, and I do have some logs of that, mostly when traveling, but far less than half of all sessions. More than half of the charging that was logged is DCQC. Let's see if anyone else has better logs.

Back