Charging from 80% to 100% -- What's the issue?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ingineer said:
Here are some other parameters from the Battery ECU after that "full" charge on my Leaf:
Code:
SoC: 94.591%    (Current State of Charge)
Lvl: 22.240kWh  (Current Level, i.e. 278 Gids)
Ful: 67.568Ah   (Full Capacity)
Tmp: 72.3f   	(Battery Temp)
Vlt: 393.23v 	(Battery Voltage)
CLC: 1.030   	(Grad Cap Loss Coef)
CLM: 1.005   	(Grad Cap Loss Mtr)
CPL: 92.3kW  	(Charge Power Limit)
RPL: 41.6kW  	(Regen Power Limit)
DPL: 110kW   	(Discharge Power Limit)
Very nice - could you clarify a few of the parameters, specifically the CLC and CLM?

What is CPL - surely with a full battery it's not indicating that you can charge the pack at 92 kW? I'm also surprised that the RPL is so high with a full battery, would have thought it would be way less than 10 kW...

drees said:
Ingineer said:
Here are some other parameters from the Battery ECU after that "full" charge on my Leaf:
Code:
SoC: 94.591%    (Current State of Charge)
Lvl: 22.240kWh  (Current Level, i.e. 278 Gids)
Ful: 67.568Ah   (Full Capacity)
Tmp: 72.3f   	(Battery Temp)
Vlt: 393.23v 	(Battery Voltage)
CLC: 1.030   	(Grad Cap Loss Coef)
CLM: 1.005   	(Grad Cap Loss Mtr)
CPL: 92.3kW  	(Charge Power Limit)
RPL: 41.6kW  	(Regen Power Limit)
DPL: 110kW   	(Discharge Power Limit)
Very nice - could you clarify a few of the parameters, specifically the CLC and CLM?

What is CPL - surely with a full battery it's not indicating that you can charge the pack at 92 kW? I'm also surprised that the RPL is so high with a full battery, would have thought it would be way less than 10 kW...
All I have are educated guesses on most of this information, it's simply as enumerated by the Battery ECU. Most of it is quite obvious, but some things are not updated all the time. For instance, the RPL is showing high, because the car has not been made "Ready" yet after charging. This parameter doesn't get set until then.

The CPL is for CHAdeMO charging, and acts to limit the maximum power into the battery. The "Grad Cap Loss Coef" is Nissan's exact Label for CLC. I think it means Gradual Capacity Loss Coefficient. "Grad Cap Loss Mtr" (CLM) is likely Gradual Capacity Loss Meter, which is what is used by the 12 bar capacity display to show loss. If this is indeed the case, I would assume this means my battery is actually at 103% but reporting 100%. However until we see more cars we can't know for sure. So far the few cars I've studied have all had the same numbers, which seems to show for the most part (sorry TickTock!) AESC builds very consistent cells.

We've already had one report of flaky behavior from a battery that was repaired under warranty. Apparently a loose "ground connection" was to blame that was causing the charging to stop intermittently.

-Phil

Back