I Beat EPA's 2.9 Miles/KWh : Report Your Monthly Mileage

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys, don't forget to note whether your mi/kWh numbers are from the wall, from the dash, from the center console or from CarWings...

CarWings
Feb/ 2012
Distance traveled = 2110.7
Average Energy Economy= 4.5.miles/kWh

March/ 2012
Distance traveled = 1908.3
Average Energy Economy= 4.4.miles/kWh

EPA estimate is only 2.9 kWh ?? WTF ?

I guess they were driving up a mountain all the while during this test ? I would have to drive like an ICE maniac with full heat ON on a cold winter night, for me to get that efficiency.

mkjayakumar said:

I guess they were driving up a mountain all the while during this test ? I would have to drive like an ICE maniac with full heat ON on a cold winter night, for me to get that efficiency.

No you don't. You just have to drive like a normal somewhat aggressive driver. We've had the Leaf for about a week. I'm really into the gadgetry and dials and having fun trying to see how high I can get the pretty numbers, and I'm working my way up into the high 4's and low 5's driving around running errands.

My wife could care less, drives it like she has always driven (and has no desire to change) and runs just under 3.

The audience on this forum (and Leaf purchasers for that matter) is dramatically skewed to those who will change their driving techniques and habits to try to be more efficient.

I think the EPA estimate sounds very fair for normal drivers who are just driving their cars like they always have and not thinking about it.

After just completing only my 3rd "longish" trip in 8 months, I can tell you that 4+ mi/kWH is difficult in the city (especially with 4-way stop signs). Every stop/start is lost energy. I try to predict stop lights, coast, anticipate other drivers behavior, etc. But I still only get about 4.5 mi/kWH. Drives on the open road (<55 mph) seem to give 5+ mi/kWH.

Reddy.

mkjayakumar said:
Keep in mind that the EPA estimate is from the wall. Multiply your dash number by 85% to get closer to your actual consumption numbers. EPA 2.9 mi/kWh is about 3.4 mi/kWh on the dash.

Still a bit low in my experience, but not if you drive "normal". I certainly drive slower than I used to in my LEAF (rarely exceed 70 mph on the freeway any more, for example, except for short bursts) and am a bit more cognizant of driving behaviors that are inefficient.

April mileage:

Wall-to-wheels: 4.0 miles/kWh

Dash: 4.6 miles/kWh

Charging efficiency at 240 V, 16 A: ~84% (included some charges to 100%, which are less efficient than charging to 80% or less)

As the weather warms, and April was unseasonably warm and dry here, my miles/kWh continues to increase. I'm curious as to what sort of numbers I will get in summer. I'll never get the numbers that the mild-weather flatlanders get, but I think I might get as high as 5.0 on the dash.

Notes: No preheating used, so charging efficiency can be calculated, although the dash mileage numbers are too coarse for precision. Driving temperatures were mostly 40s to 60s with some 70s. Battery temps of five bars most of the time, as opposed to four bars in winter. Elevation range: 8000 feet to 5750 feet. All driving includes steep hills. No multi-lane highway driving at all. Some of the driving is on dirt roads.

dgpcolorado said:
April mileage:

Wall-to-wheels: 4.0 miles/kWh

Dash: 4.6 miles/kWh

Charging efficiency at 240 V, 16 A: ~84% (included some charges to 100%, which are less efficient than charging to 80% or less)

As the weather warms, and April was unseasonably warm and dry here, my miles/kWh continues to increase. I'm curious as to what sort of numbers I will get in summer. I'll never get the numbers that the mild-weather flatlanders get, but I think I might get as high as 5.0 on the dash...

If you take a look at your CW report for April, you might find that it matches your “dash” (behind the wheel-right?) average.

If you also recorded a monthly m/kWh report from the nav screen, it might be more accurate, as both the dash and CW may be under-reporting m/kWh by the same 2.5%. (due to the same odometer error?)

Below are my CW averages since delivery, from the “Regional Rankings” page.

Your rank for the past 12 months
Month and Year Grade Rank Energy Economy
May/2011 Gold 492 5.4 miles/kWh*
Jun/2011 Gold 695 5.7 miles/kWh*
Jul/2011 Gold 1651 5.3 miles/kWh*

Aug/2011 Bronze 3622 4.2 miles/kWh
Sep/2011 Silver 3457 4.5 miles/kWh
Oct/2011 Silver 3640 4.2 miles/kWh
Nov/2011 Gold 2792 4.2 miles/kWh
Dec/2011 Gold 2827 4.0 miles/kWh
Jan/2012 Gold 2547 4.2 miles/kWh
Feb/2012 Gold 2354 4.4 miles/kWh
Mar/2012 Gold 2975 4.3 miles/kWh
Apr/2012 Gold 2992 4.5 miles/kWh

May, June an July 2011 not comparable, since these are from before I had the CW update done, at the beginning of August.*

Everyone’s annual m/kWh curve will look somewhat different, for various climates, and as they modify their driving, charging, and climate control use, seasonally.

I doubt I’ll ever get much outside of the 4.0-4-5 range though (at least until DC charging comes to I-5, allowing me to add a lot of high-speed, and low m/kWh, freeway miles).

I may even begin to see a smaller dip in efficiency show up in midsummer, as I do most of my driving in the Northern Sacramento valley, where daily temperatures are frequently over 100 F, and AC use is significant.

picture1jk.jpg

edatoakrun said:
If you take a look at your CW report for April, you might find that it matches your “dash” (behind the wheel-right?) average.

If you also recorded a monthly m/kWh report from the nav screen, it might be more accurate, as both the dash and CW may be under-reporting m/kWh by the same 2.5%. (due to the same odometer error?)
I did take a look at the Carwings report yesterday for the first time (had some trouble finding it). It was just gibberish. Whether that is because I don't always push the "yes" button or because there is no cell reception in my garage I don't know. But the information was not accurate or useful.

I reset the dash mileage meter monthly and the console one daily (because I like to watch it fluctuate from the sevens to the low fours on a single trip). The nice thing about a monthly reset is that it averages out individual trip variations and is giving a very consistent pattern from the warming weather. It doesn't really matter that the reading is fairly coarse because my "wall" readings of kWh are what really counts for mileage cost and that meter is likely quite accurate:
evseoutletandmeter0288s.jpg

dgpcolorado said:
...I did take a look at the Carwings report yesterday for the first time (had some trouble finding it). It was just gibberish. Whether that is because I don't always push the "yes" button or because there is no cell reception in my garage I don't know. But the information was not accurate or useful...

Cell reception shouldn't be a problem. Mine is marginal at home, but it updates and recovers all CW driving reports, whenever I drive into Cell range.

But yes, CW will only function if you "accept" it.

If you do, you should get the same consistency and accuracy as shown in EdmondLeaf's post of daily use above.

Just check your car odometer and CW against another source (like google maps) for miles, and correct as necessary, for the greatest accuracy.

Most have reported the same experience I have had, a 2.5% constant under-report for CW (on new stock tires) and that the dash odometer is very close to accurate.

edatoakrun said:
Cell reception shouldn't be a problem. Mine is marginal at home, but it updates and recovers all CW driving reports, whenever I drive into Cell range.

But yes, CW will only function if you "accept" it.

If you do, you should get the same consistency and accuracy as shown in EdmondLeaf's post of daily use above.

Just check your car odometer and CW against another source (like google maps) for miles, and correct as necessary, for the greatest accuracy.

Most have reported the same experience I have had, a 2.5% constant under-report for CW (on new stock tires) and that the dash odometer is very close to accurate.
I have noticed that the console mileage meter runs about 0.1 miles higher than the dash one, when I run them simultaneously at the beginning of the month. That's about the 2.5% you mentioned. Others have reported the same.

I doubt that Google maps could handle the complex terrain where I live with accuracy. But it isn't really necessary anyway since the car odometer, whether precisely accurate or not, is consistent, except over long time periods due to tire wear. Carwings isn't necessary to get mileage data, I just log the car odometer several times a week. That's a lot easier than remembering to push the "yes" button ten times a day.

dgpcolorado said:
...I doubt that Google maps could handle the complex terrain where I live with accuracy. But it isn't really necessary anyway since the car odometer, whether precisely accurate or not, is consistent, except over long time periods due to tire wear. Carwings isn't necessary to get mileage data, I just log the car odometer several times a week. That's a lot easier than remembering to push the "yes" button ten times a day.

IMO, Google maps is at least as precise as the odometer, as long as your road is in its database.

I'd just suggest all Leaf drivers check a long trip by an accurate third source occasionally, if they wish to calibrate both their dash and CW odometers for greatest accuracy.

No need to check frequently, as CW is as entirely "consistent" as the dash odometer, and should actually be more accurate than the dash, for LEAFs with significant tread-wear, or that have replacement tires with slightly smaller circumferences.

I don't find that pushing "accept" is all that difficult.

I start-up, and while I'm buckling in, the accept screen comes up. I then accept, and put the nav screen in my preferred mode in one step.

N1ghtrider said:
Month and Year Grade Rank Energy Economy
Dec/2011 Platinum 574 5.2 miles/kWh
Jan/2012 Platinum 750 5.2 miles/kWh
Feb/2012 Platinum 848 5.2 miles/kWh
Mar/2012 Platinum 769 5.4 miles/kWh
Apr/2012 Platinum 1179 5.3 miles/kWh

Unless you are determined to sweat it out, you might find those high averages hard to maintain, over the Florida Summer.

mkjayakumar said:
I thought summer is when it is relatively easier to get better mileage

In terms of total range, I'd expect that probably to be so, even in Florida, where reduction of available battery capacity in Winter is minimal.

But I expect that AC use could exceed summer efficiency gains, as calculated in m/kWh.

We should see the seasonal results, in various climates, over the next few months.

Back