Battery endurance for every day commuting

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
leaffan said:
evnow said:
AndyH said:
In spite of GMs propaganda machine, the Volt is a HYBRID car, not an EV. Hybrid batteries are a critical part of emissions performance so are part of the long-term warranty. In other words - GM isn't building a long-life battery because they're super designers, they're doing it because they have to. ;)

Not that it is a long-life battery - what they do is use only 50% of the battery. They have a 16kwh battery and use only 8 kwh of it. Compare that to 80-90% that is used by Leaf or Tesla.

So, with that battery, if someone is allowed to tweak it, we should be able to drive 60 miles on electric easily.

For the LEAF, someone posted that at a steady 65mph, you should be able to get around 80 miles. So for the Volt's battery, which no one has said, should only get 32 miles at that speed.

More likely 65-70 for most.

garygid said:
With something like 800 Leafs selling in December, that should use up any remaining 2010 funds. January sales will likely use up the 2011 funds, it would seem.

Are there even 2011 fumes. Some of the programs don't even fund until later in the year so if you buy in jan and it does not fund until march you are out if luck. Also, this fund competes with Tesla and other vehicles as well.

garygid said:
In-state tesla sales used only 63 "rebates" the first year of the program (about $300,000).

Yes, and to those Tesla buyers, I don't think the $5,000 state rebate matters at all, it's pocket change if you are buying a Tesla, a few nice diners or gas for their yachts.

Back