Navi safety override?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I installed my kit in less than 1/2 hour! Real simple. The back up cam controlled by my mirror button is real handy for lane changes in thick traffic.
It's very well made and worth it if you want these features. :D

bdl99 said:
Something else to consider is if you pay a shop to effectively take the DIY approach, it would probably cost you more in labor and it wouldn't be reversible and of course wouldn't have the other extra features.

Then it would not be DIY, eh?

You're also discounting whether the DIY person can do the "extra features". The rear view camera option is available right now, without any kit or switch. I haven't used it except to show people that it can be done with the simple pushing of buttons. Yes, it is far easier with a switch, but then there are other features I would choose first to be on a dedicated switch.

Also, it is not necessary to hack holes for a switch, nor is an indicator light needed. But, I feel that it is prudent to have some warning that the navigation is not updating properly, and a reminder to turn the speed signal back on. Another option might be to have a simple timer on the switch that only offers an XX second interrupt of the speed signal.

I don't know what the parking brake part of the equation is.

CAUTION: Whether you use this kit, or any other way, if you remove the center console trim (the bit surrounding the Clarion Audio Video Navigation display, I recommend either not disconnecting the passenger seat air bag light, or waiting over 50 minutes before doing so.

You may end up with lots of error codes. Nissan knows about this problem, and has a fix for it. It's easier not to have to make a trip to the dealer to reset it.

Bottom line, of course this apparently well done kit is easier, but will cost more. My time was several hours with exactly the dedicated features I wanted (like the light). My total cost was $20.

TonyWilliams said:
bdl99 said:
Something else to consider is if you pay a shop to effectively take the DIY approach, it would probably cost you more in labor and it wouldn't be reversible and of course wouldn't have the other extra features.
Then it would not be DIY, eh?

True, which is why I said "effectively" and "approach". The point I was trying to make is there are probably four types of owners regarding these bypasses:
1) Someone prepared to do it themselves (like yourself)
2) Someone not prepared to do it themselves but happy to have someone else cut the wires for them (That is the group I was referring to above)
3) Someone who wants the hack/bypass but doesn't want to cut wires either themselves or have someone else do it
4) Someone who doesn't want the hack/bypass

Nothing is ever going to compete with type 1 because this type of person considers their time free and actually gets pleasure out of doing it themselves. My posts are not attacking you or this type of user, I am the same as you and enjoy doing this type of stuff. I started my kits started because like you I would post DIY threads on various forums of cars I've owned and quickly realized the other types of users. I would offer for local owners to come to my house and help them, but I couldn't help someone 3K miles away.

The kits are addressed at user types 2 and 3. The point I was trying to make was for type 2 the kit was still probably the cheapest option and had other benefits. For type 3 a kit approach is really the only option.

TonyWilliams said:
You're also discounting whether the DIY person can do the "extra features". The rear view camera option is available right now, without any kit or switch. I haven't used it except to show people that it can be done with the simple pushing of buttons. Yes, it is far easier with a switch, but then there are other features I would choose first to be on a dedicated switch.
I'm assuming that you are referring to going in to the configuration menu and camera settings, if not please post for everyone as I would certainly be interested. I think/hope you would agree that the menu option isn't really practical to do on a regular basis or while driving.

TonyWilliams said:
Also, it is not necessary to hack holes for a switch, nor is an indicator light needed. But, I feel that it is prudent to have some warning that the navigation is not updating properly, and a reminder to turn the speed signal back on. Another option might be to have a simple timer on the switch that only offers an XX second interrupt of the speed signal.
True, others have taken the timer approach and it is something I considered also but there are cases where timer would be a pain.

TonyWilliams said:
The head unit is capable of playing video files and that is where the parking brake comes in to the equation.

TonyWilliams said:
CAUTION: Whether you use this kit, or any other way, if you remove the center console trim (the bit surrounding the Clarion Audio Video Navigation display, I recommend either not disconnecting the passenger seat air bag light, or waiting over 50 minutes before doing so.
You may end up with lots of error codes. Nissan knows about this problem, and has a fix for it. It's easier not to have to make a trip to the dealer to reset it.
Yes, I highlight this in the instructions. There is no need to wait an extended period of time just be sure not to power up the car while the air bag light is disconnected or don't disconnect it. This error can actually be cleared yourself though if anyone is interested, but much easier to just follow the instructions :)

TonyWilliams said:
Bottom line, of course this apparently well done kit is easier, but will cost more. My time was several hours with exactly the dedicated features I wanted (like the light). My total cost was $20.
Thanks, as I said nothing could ever compete with a type 1 user on cost, but don't underestimate your skills, there are far fewer people like yourself than you may think.

bdl99 said:
TonyWilliams said:
The head unit is capable of playing video files and that is where the parking brake comes in to the equation.

Are you saying the head unit can play video files, but only if the parking brake is on? How do you play video files on it? Is it through the USB?

lpickup said:
bdl99 said:
TonyWilliams said:

Are you saying the head unit can play video files, but only if the parking brake is on? How do you play video files on it? Is it through the USB?

Yes, via USB. The files have to be within certain specs, asf or Divx/Avi and particular bitrates and resolution.

Some Nissan vehicles also have an auxiliary audio/video input (the three RCA jacks; Yellow, Red and White) but I don't think the Leaf does. Having said that I have been be able to create a kit for some Nissan's that don't have the Aux input to add them. I would have to look at the leaf wiring diagrams in more details if this is something that might be of interest.

bdl99 said:
I'm assuming that you are referring to going in to the configuration menu and camera settings, if not please post for everyone as I would certainly be interested. I think/hope you would agree that the menu option isn't really practical to do on a regular basis or while driving.

Yes, that's the one. Obviously, that's not the most practical, and a dedicated switch would be better. But again, there are probably other things that I would choose first to dedicate a switch to. I'm not sure if I'll add a camera switch... Probably :?

TonyWilliams said:
... the air bag light is disconnected or don't disconnect it. This error can actually be cleared yourself though if anyone is interested, but much easier to just follow the instructions :)

Yes, I'd like to know how to clear the codes (about a dozen).

TonyWilliams said:
....don't underestimate your skills, there are far fewer people like yourself than you may think.

The early adopters of this high tech car tend to favor the reasonably handy and adept. I'm in good company.

I find that three properly adjusted mirrors work great for that and have no boot-up time! And they are high definition! :lol:

JohnnySebring said:
I installed my kit in less than 1/2 hour! Real simple. The back up cam controlled by my mirror button is real handy for lane changes in thick traffic.

TomT said:
I find that three properly adjusted mirrors work great for that and have no boot-up time! And they are high definition! :lol:

Actually the LEAF's side mirrors are pretty small compared to every car I've recently driven (and maybe all cars I've ever driven). I suspect that's because they tried to minimize wind noise on them.

lpickup said:
TomT said:

Actually the LEAF's side mirrors are pretty small compared to every car I've recently driven (and maybe all cars I've ever driven). I suspect that's because they tried to minimize wind noise on them.

Yes, but if you adjust them properly (outward), there are absolutely no blind spots. You use your rear-view mirror first, then the side mirrors. I love the smaller side mirrors!

LEAFfan said:
Yes, but if you adjust them properly (outward), there are absolutely no blind spots. You use your rear-view mirror first, then the side mirrors. I love the smaller side mirrors!
They already are (I learned this trick from my kids taking driver's ed, unlike when I took it when they had you adjust it so you could just barely see the rear bumper of the car). I still find them just a bit too small to get a full view. That combined with the fact that the rear headrests block a full width view out the back window and I find the overall rear facing visibility in the LEAF to be poor.

bdl99 said:
Some Nissan vehicles also have an auxiliary audio/video input (the three RCA jacks; Yellow, Red and White) but I don't think the Leaf does. Having said that I have been be able to create a kit for some Nissan's that don't have the Aux input to add them. I would have to look at the leaf wiring diagrams in more details if this is something that might be of interest.

Yes, I'm sure there would be some interest. :D Information on this Clarion head unit is hard to find, so any info you have on unused pins/inputs would be sweet. Or, details on how to get the Leaf to read video files from the USB would also be interesting.

Watching a movie off the USB flash drive while quick-charging.

I like that.

When you get something to play properly, please let us know the necessary parameters, and perhaps a good way to convert a movie to that format.

Thanks.

Has anybody tried "inserting" a "low-speed" pulse train, to make the car think that it is still moving, but slowly?

What speed is slow enough to activate the menus, maybe 1 or 2 mph?

At that "fake" speed, is the GPS positioning still active?

Maybe... The accelerometers still work with the inhibit. It will show turns, just not an accurate
position.

I think the threshold is about 4mph. So, we need to copy the signal at 3mph, make a loop of that speed, and when you throw the inhibit switch, it feeds the 3mph data.

Now, how do you do that?

One way to test would be to remove the wheel speed sensor assembly, place a motor that will rotate it at 3mph while you motor along at 60mph.

1. Cut the wire and bring out both ends, as if you are adding a switch. At the same time, bring out a Ground (and 12v if relatively easy).

2. Use a scope (inverter or battery-powered) to measure the pulse shapes, and frequency, at the Menu-enabling speed.

3. Connect a "slow-speed" pulse generator th the Nav input and test out the GPS and LEAF function at higher speeds.

4. Try switching between the "real" and "low-speed" signals.

5. If it all works, make a small circuit to generate the "low-speed" signal, and wire it and the "real" signal to a SPDT switch.

6. Presto!

garygid said:
1. Cut the wire and bring out both ends, as if you are adding a switch. At the same time, bring out a Ground (and 12v if relatively easy).
!

I've got all that, including the 12v from the 120w accessory port to run my "override" warning LED.

I can bang this out pretty quick on your car, if you want. You handle the pulse generating.

garygid said:
Has anybody tried "inserting" a "low-speed" pulse train, to make the car think that it is still moving, but slowly?

What speed is slow enough to activate the menus, maybe 1 or 2 mph?

At that "fake" speed, is the GPS positioning still active?

This is something that has been on my list for a while and like the way you are thinking. Really the only thing stopping me has been other priorities, the fact that it would be much easier with a second pair of hands and finally I'm not sure it is going to work for reasons below:

What I know:
-Within the software there is a binary flag that is toggled between not moving and moving and that activates at ~5mph.
-The navigation system applies the logic of; if the car isn't moving then don't bother updating the map.

The question:
-Does the navigation system use the binary flag to determine if the car is moving or the speed sensor?

If it uses the flag, then the inserting a pulse idea will make no difference. If I was writting the program I would use the binary flag but we can hope the developers didn't take that route.

One simple (or many be not so simple) test would be to drive at 2-3 mph with the map zoomed right in and see if the map location updates. Of course it is difficult to be sure that you may not be going just a little too fast and activating the moving flag.

garygid said:
Watching a movie off the USB flash drive while quick-charging.

I like that.

When you get something to play properly, please let us know the necessary parameters, and perhaps a good way to convert a movie to that format.

Thanks.

I will dig out my notes from when I did this, after I added the Aux AV input on my car (not a leaf) there was no need to use the USB approach so I haven't done this in a while.

Back