Report Your Gid Number at 100% Charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ingineer said:
surfingslovak said:
Yes, and please don't forget losses, such as heat developed when storing and retrieving energy from the battery, and the energy lost during cell balancing. I believe that both are unaccounted for, and they will be missing from the equation if you assume 80 Wh will be going in and out of the battery. Sure, you can ignore them, and adjust for that error later, but this energy is lost, and you will ultimately see the effect one way or another. Even without instrumentation. Yes, it's old school and much tougher, but if there a sizable error, it can and will be detected by a careful observer.
The watt-hours are "usable output", so they are corrected. (constantly in fact, as battery parameters are always in flux)

-Phil

I think we not going to come to a meeting of the minds on this!!!

I'll part with this thought; if you drive, as I have done, from fully charged to empty, the data compiled from the dash data and the Gid count that we have been observing since last fall does not meet the 80 threshold.

Obviously, it does in your more advanced observations; that is without question by anybody, myself included.

I trust what I see on the CAN bus from the Battery ECU (LBC) and of course on my instrumentation, but I definitely don't trust data I see from the VCM and the CM/Nav. They are doing some strange things there with this data I am reading from the Battery ECU. You don't trust half of the data, such as the GoM, but you do trust the miles/kWh figure? I haven't yet figured out how/why it's wrong, but like you, I tend to stop looking at things I don't trust.

If you want to trust the miles/kWh figures from the CM/Nav, which of course are calculated by using figures over the CAN bus exclusively from the Battery ECU, of course you can. If you insist, then I have to agree to disagree.

Maybe when you get your LEAFSCAN you'll come around... :)

Until then the only hard data anyone can really have is miles per wall kWh, as long as the odometer is trusted. (Unless you want to believe the Gids)

-Phil

Ingineer said:
I trust what I see on the CAN bus from the Battery ECU (LBC) and of course on my instrumentation, but I definitely don't trust data I see from the VCM and the CM/Nav. They are doing some strange things there with this data I am reading from the Battery ECU. You don't trust half of the data, such as the GoM, but you do trust the miles/kWh figure? I haven't yet figured out how/why it's wrong, but like you, I tend to stop looking at things I don't trust.

If you want to trust the miles/kWh figures from the CM/Nav, which of course are calculated by using figures over the CAN bus exclusively from the Battery ECU, of course you can. If you insist, then I have to agree to disagree.

Until then the only hard data anyone can really have is miles per wall kWh, as long as the odometer is trusted. (Unless you want to believe the Gids)
Interesting, to say the least. I'm not insisting on anything, and while I expected to see losses, the size of the discrepancy between energy in and energy of the battery surprised me. If you believe in Gids and the energy economy gauge of course.

Since you mentioned the odometer and kWh out of the wall. Both are somewhat inaccurate themselves. That being said, we are seeing an overall efficiency of 85%, if the energy economy gauge can be trusted, and we based a lot of the values, including the effective usable battery size on that. This value has been in turn used by many others, including Nissan (in their recent TB).

Here is an interesting factoid. When I compare the ActiveE and the Leaf, I see about 7% difference in energy economy when driving on flat ground at a constant speed. This could be easily explained by inaccurate or inconsistent energy economy gauge in both vehicles. However, it could be representative of a real difference in energy economy as well, and I believe I see some of this in the range figures I'm getting, as inaccurate as the methods I'm using are.

Ingineer said:

-Phil

Oh, I'm confident that I will love LEAFSCAN, and of course, we both agree that driver presented data is whacked. From the viewpoint of my range chart, however, we have to work with the tools presented. If I discount everything, there's not much to work with. As a percentage of LEAF drivers, few will have a Gidmeter or a LEAFSCAN.

So, the GoM and CarWings were rightly immediately eliminated from consideration. Even the fuel bars are a bit mushy, but two measurements have held somewhat consistent; the two battery warnings, and for those of us with a Gidmeter, the corrected watt/hour measurement at those landmarks. So, I put a good deal of reliance on those two points, and the Gids. Currently, no other tools exist to do that.

The other piece of the puzzle, of course is miles and economy. We know CarWings isn't accurate, but even if the odometer is not accurate, it should somewhat consistent over the fleet. The same should be somewhat true of the economy meter. Granted, the resolution is crap, and all the games of "processed" data, as opposed to raw data, come in play.

But, without that, we quickly run out of tools to determine the most readily available information to determine range. As is, we can do a remarkable job in comparison to the fleet of engineers who pieced together the GoM.

So, back to the original question. Until such time as more refined, accurate data is available, with the aforementioned tools at our disposal, a Gid appears to fall in the 75 watt/hour range. That merely amplifies the inaccuracies of the economy meter that we use to calculate that number, but again it's consistent (somewhat) until such time that new tools arrive.

For those that never acquire those tools, and must rely on the LEAF presented displays, it's not even a factor, because they won't have a Gidmeter to consider.

By the way, I'll probably make a new range chart dedicated specifically to the LEAFSCAN, since none of the data, like battery capacity, Gid value, etc, will work from the existing chart.

surfingslovak said:
Here is an interesting factoid. When I compare the ActiveE and the Leaf, I see about 7% difference in energy economy when driving on flat ground at a constant speed. This could be easily explained by inaccurate or inconsistent energy economy gauge in both vehicles. However, it could be representative of a real difference in energy economy as well, and I believe I see some of this in the range figures I'm getting, as inaccurate as the methods I'm using are.

Try at different speeds, and see if the delta in economy changes. I suspect the a larger delta at higher speeds will be attributed to aerodynamics, and a more constant economy delta will be the weight delta.

surfingslovak said:
Either way - it can easily be confirmed by taking measurements from the wall on identical trips..

TonyWilliams said:
...two measurements have held somewhat consistent; the two battery warnings, and for those of us with a Gidmeter, the corrected watt/hour measurement at those landmarks....

="TonyWilliams"]...Of all the crazy displayed data that Nissan has endowed upon us, the two separate battery warnings are consistently at fixed battery performance values...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8420&start=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are the LBW and VLBW, less "fixed" today, than they were yesterday, Tony?

drees said:
Either way - it can easily be confirmed by taking measurements from the wall on identical trips..
Yes, in theory. In practice, reality will interfere, and you won't get the same readouts. There are too many variables to consider.

On my last 100-mile trip, I only achieved 103 miles of range, versus 107 on a nearly identical trip in December. Energy economy was the same: 5.1 kWh. Did my battery degrade 4% in three months? I doubt it, since my Gid reading was about the same on both occasions. And I have yet to get the same kWh number from the wall when I drive the car to turtle, and then charge to full. There are several others that have performed the same exercise, with similar results. It's never the same number. Sometimes not even close.

Yesterday results:
80% charge 231 gids@386V
100% charge 270 gids@392V
Today:
80% charge 231 gids@386V
100% charge 279 gids@393V

TonyWilliams said:
We know CarWings isn't accurate,

Tony (or anyone else)

What is the basis for current (fully software-updated LEAF) carwings inaccuracy? Is it simply the ~2.5% delta that I observed in the reported mileage? I understand the original cars (pre=update) had a pretty wild Carwings data set, but what is the current data showing the current issue?

(sorry - I've searched over MNL for this, but never found an answer that explains this)

I ask this as I don't have a GID-meter (waiting for LEAFSCAN) yet so I have only the in-dash and CW to review....

essaunders said:
TonyWilliams said:

Tony (or anyone else)

What is the basis for current (fully software-updated LEAF) carwings inaccuracy? Is it simply the ~2.5% delta that I observed in the reported mileage? I understand the original cars (pre=update) had a pretty wild Carwings data set, but what is the current data showing the current issue?

(sorry - I've searched over MNL for this, but never found an answer that explains this)

I ask this as I don't have a GID-meter (waiting for LEAFSCAN) yet so I have only the in-dash and CW to review....

No basis for this belief has ever been posted, as far as I know.

You may have seen my earlier post, intended to help determine if it has any merit.

...what capacity in kWh do you (or anyone else) see between 80% and LBW?

Looks like CW reported 11.1 kWh for my battery, on this day.

It should be fairly close to your observations, of your own battery, if it was based on the same information you now are getting in real-time from your LEAFSCAN.

What is your level of uncertainty?

How variable by battery temperature?

Does LBW always occur at a constant level of battery capacity, or, perhaps, variably, as reported here:

http://www.roperld.com/science/NissanLE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... lation.pdf

More discussion on this question here:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8420&start=10

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8437&start=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun said:
Are the LBW and VLBW, less "fixed" today, than they were yesterday, Tony?

I'm not sure what that link is supposed to mean. Sorry, I don't want to "figure it out".

Like I said, those warnings are consistent, specifically at 49 and 24 Gid.

essaunders said:
TonyWilliams said:

Tony (or anyone else)

If you have the older software, CarWings was really crazy. Now, others report that it's 2.5% on mileage (as you state) and that the kW data is way, way better.

Is CarWings kW data accurate? We'll see soon with LEAFscan, I predict.

281 Gids tonight, for the first time since January! I blame it on the full moon, and four hours of cell balancing ;-)

TonyWilliams said:

Is CarWings kW data accurate? We'll see soon with LEAFscan, I predict.

Well, I’ll stick to what we know, or can know now, if we make the effort to look, now.

My CW appears to be entirely accurate, save the data input for “miles “driven” by a constant 2.5% error, as reported by many observers.

I first posted the odometer discrepancy over 7 months ago, and also posted the several questions that remain unanswered today.

I rechecked 2 other recent drives of 85-105 miles and each time CW has erred, under-reporting distance traveled, as compared with both my odometer and Google Maps, by 2.5%, +/- 0.1%.

Has anyone else-before or after the NTB11-041 update-seen this same odometer/CW mileage disparity?

If so, do you suppose this may reflect the similar discrepancy between the dash and screen numbers, as widely reported?
My car shows 4.3 m/kWh on the dash and 4.4 on the screen, as average since delivery.

Extrapolating from the chart, it appears CW may be saying the 1.7 kWh (8.5% from the chart, of 20.4 total kWh-anyone have a better number?) I had left at or near VLBW implies total available battery capacity of about 20.4 kWh.

So, from the limited info I can gather, looks to me that Carwings may now be accurate as to energy use.

Posts from others who can take the charge lower could verify this...

Comments from the SOC meter crowd, and also those who have metered L2 charging and can determine charge efficiency, as a % from Carwings reports, would also be greatly appreciated...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5423&hilit=carwings&start=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I believe from other’s reports, but (since I have never resets either m/kwh readout on my car, and they still read 4.3/4.4) have not observed, that the “behind the wheel“ (BTW), rather than the Nav screen, m/kWh, may also be understated by the same percentage. IMO, more reports of m/kWh from BTW and the CW reports being identical, for the same miles driven, might confirm both the same constant inaccuracy in both these sources of data.

I also pointed out 7 months ago that observations after changing tires, or after tire wear, effecting this 2.5% constant, would answer the question of CWs source for for the odometer understatement. As far as I know, we still don’t know if CW gets it distance data, through an internal calculation (but not from the odometer) or from GPS data.

The problem is, every tire varies slightly in circumference, especially between different manufactures. And even the same tires will show about this percentage in odometer readings, over their life, due to tread wear.

So it is entirely possible CW will become more accurate, and your odometer less so, as your tires wear. This is an easy question to answer by observation, by anyone who has high tire wear, or has replaced their tires. If the 2.5% constant remains, following any change to tire circumference, we should know if both BTW and CW reports, get the same erroneous m/kWh data, presumably from a GPS source error.

Other than this constant underreport of miles driven, my CW has seemed entirely accurate, since my posting above. Unfortunately, the refusal, by many to look at their own CW data, has retarded, not only the explanation of this CW inconsistency, but our more general understanding of LEAF operation, in far more significant ways, as shown ,IMO, by errors in the range chart.

There do seem to be many significant inaccuracies in the range chart, and since it is purported to be based on gig data, either that data is inaccurate, or, much more likely, the interpretation, is in error. The most significant errors seem to be due to misstatement of the actual high and near-constant percentage of ascent energy recovery, and the supposition that the battery warnings, and the bar display, must reflect fixed values of the percentage of underlying battery capacity, in kWh.

Again, more than seven months ago, Both I, and, IIRC, several other LEAF drivers, observed, from simple bar watching, that LEAF ascent energy recovery was at a high and near-constant rate:

...I would not have thought near 80% recovery of ascent energy (by both "coasting" and regen) likely in real-world use on extreme grades, but that's what I'm seeing, and it seems other recent hill climb threads reflect the same experience.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5022&hilit=+lassen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The analysis of a single trip, with the “regeneration fraction“ shown as a coefficient of 0.8 shown in this paper, explains my earlier observations, in more detail than I can here:

http://www.roperld.com/science/NissanLEAFRangeCalculation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The author also reports Variable battery warnings, based on “driving style”, but does not give his source for this observation.

My experiences, most recently and in the most detail, reported here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8420&start=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is highly suggestive that LBW occurs earlier, when following periods of high kW demand, or after a stop/start cycle. It also suggests to me, that either the bars are located incorrectly on the range chart, as representative of underlying battery capacity, or that the bars, also, might in fact be variably representing battery capacity, on our dash displays.

There is also the sleight, IMO, possibility that My battery may have suffered a recent reduction in capacity, which, however unfortunate for me, would be of great interest to all LEAF owners, so I will look for this, and report, ASP

But again, mine is only one report, from one LEAF driver. The problem here, is just as some accepted, as orthodoxy the lack of usefulness of CW, we may have accepted another orthodoxy, for LBW and VLBW, and bar displays, as fixed battery capacity indications, rather than basing our understanding on data collected by multiple observations, with control for other variables.

Have other seen variable LBW or VLBW, based on CW kWh use reports?

Have those with gig counts checked for battery warning variability, or are basing their conclusions on assumptions, based on limited observations?

Apparently the Michelins I replaced the Ecopias with are slightly larger in actual diameter since my error is now minus .1 percent.

TonyWilliams said:
The problem is, every tire varies slightly in circumference, especially between different manufactures. And even the same tires will show about this percentage in odometer readings, over their life, due to tread wear.

As of this weekend at approximately 14 months ownership and 16,000 miles, with an average ambient temperature of 65 degrees:

80%: 225 Gids
100%: 274 Gids

Just wanted to bump the thread, since several folks might be getting their Gid reading this weekend.

Back