Improve the steering feel

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess a year of driving it is not yet enough... It still sucks to me, with a capitol S... I'll give it some more time and see what happens! :lol:
RedLeader said:
I've noticed that the chassis feel of the Leaf has a lot to be desired of. The steering in particular makes me want to vomit.... at first. After driving the Leaf for several days w/o driving anything else it all seems to come together and the soft, spongy, numb feeling starts to feel comfortable, light and pleasant.

TomT said:
I guess a year of driving it is not yet enough... It still sucks to me, with a capitol S... I'll give it some more time and see what happens! :lol:
Tom, I hadn't appreciated how over-boosted the steering feel on our LEAFs is until I got a Z4 roadster as a longer distance ICE based car; I wonder if the Active E has a more connected feel.

I seriously don't see what's the big deal with the steering, unless of course you are driving Leaf like it's a sports car, perhaps it's a wrong car choice?

IBELEAF said:
I seriously don't see what's the big deal with the steering, unless of course you are driving Leaf like it's a sports car, perhaps it's a wrong car choice?

Granted, it is not a sports car, so it's hard to criticize too much. But considering the LEAF's sporty acceleration, it likes to be driven like a sports car when the family is not in tow. Many of us bought a LEAF not only for the environmental appeal but because we love cars, and this is one of the coolest cars on the road right now.

My last car was an old Porsche and my wife drives a recent Audi. I can tell you that the LEAF is (a lot) faster off the line than both of them, but when I accelerate into a turn, I've got to be careful and compensate for lack of feel in the steering wheel. As one review said, it doesn't feel like it's connected to the wheels.

JustinC said:
IBELEAF said:

Granted, it is not a sports car, so it's hard to criticize too much. But considering the LEAF's sporty acceleration, it likes to be driven like a sports car when the family is not in tow. Many of us bought a LEAF not only for the environmental appeal but because we love cars, and this is one of the coolest cars on the road right now.

My last car was an old Porsche and my wife drives a recent Audi. I can tell you that the LEAF is (a lot) faster off the line than both of them, but when I accelerate into a turn, I've got to be careful and compensate for lack of feel in the steering wheel. As one review said, it doesn't feel like it's connected to the wheels.

Yep, it probably comes down to different driving styles. I liked the steering from day 1, but I don't accelerate into turns either. I usually coast before them to slow down some, and generally always try to get the lowest consumption possible. The only times I have used the full 80kW is when doing test drives with others, otherwise the 50kW one get in eco without kickdown is more than enough for normal driving.

I would not appreciate harder steering and suspension.

jkirkebo said:
I would not appreciate harder steering and suspension.
Suspension, I agree. I love the ride of the LEAF, and, more importantly, so does my wife.

I don't think the steering would feel "harder" if it was improved. Only more connected to the wheels.

I've driven the Active E and it drives like most any other BMW, which is to say, superb road and steering feel. Nissan apparently thinks that Leaf owners want the steering feel of a 1960-1970 GM luxo-barge...
eHelmholtz said:
TomT said:
Tom, I hadn't appreciated how over-boosted the steering feel on our LEAFs is until I got a Z4 roadster as a longer distance ICE based car; I wonder if the Active E has a more connected feel.

I too, like many Japanese, like the easy, light steering.

I am not a race car driver.

Apparently many Europeans like the steering "heavy".

Then, here in the USA our preferences seem to be
"all over the map" in between those two.

mkjayakumar said:
I actually like the way the steering feels both at low and high speeds.. !
Man, when I now drive my wife's SUV, it reminds me of steering an Army 6X6 back in the early 50's.

I like the LEAF's light steering.

Alas, when I went to the Michelins, there was no real improvement in steering feel. Turn in, handling, ride and braking yes, but the on-center and steering feel was just as numb and uncommunicative as with the OEM Crap-o-matics.

kubel said:
Has anyone gone from the stock tires to non-LRR tires? If so, can you confirm steering has firmed up some?

TomT said:
Alas, when I went to the Michelins, there was no real improvement in steering feel. Turn in, handling, ride and braking yes, but the on-center and steering feel was just as numb and uncommunicative as with the OEM Crap-o-matics.

kubel said:
Has anyone gone from the stock tires to non-LRR tires? If so, can you confirm steering has firmed up some?

EPS can feel really nice in comparison, drive a YARIS 3 door and see how much better it is. LEAF PS is one of the worst period.

TomT said:
That's too bad :-( ; I wonder if you can put the Michelin Pilot Super Sports tires on the LEAF. I am thinking about getting rid of the run flats on my roadster for a set of PSS and the guys with Z4s swear by them.

I agree. If they did nothing else but cranked the boost down by about 70 percent at speed, it would be a marked improvement.

EVDriver said:
EPS can feel really nice in comparison, drive a YARIS 3 door and see how much better it is. LEAF PS is one of the worst period.

EPS can feel really nice in comparison, drive a YARIS 3 door and see how much better it is. LEAF PS is one of the worst period

I agree too, they should update the software or firmware or whatever, to firm up the feel of the steering at highway speeds. This is elemetary stuff. Automakers have been doing variable assist since early nineties at least. Leaf steering almost feels like the old Plymouth Fury III.

Back