LEAF in Kansas City

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eclecticflower said:
Here's a question...if you accepted/signed the online quote for the charging station and decide that's too expensive/you want to go another way (like you did), is there a way to get out of that acceptance or am I stuck with the exorbitant cost of getting that installed by Aerovironment?

When I ordered mine, I spoke with online Nissan LEAF customer service, telling them I had already installed a charging station. They just had me do a waiver.

eclecticflower said:
My dryer is (below grade) in my basement (ranch house), however, it's right below where I'm having the charging dock installed in my garage upstairs (but it's down the basement wall horizontally 10' or so). I wonder how it would work tying into that, if at all possible? I sure don't want anything "jerry-rigged" that would end up burning down the house...

You need a separate circuit for the EVSE that only the EVSE uses.

eclecticflower said:
FYI, since the charging station at Union Station is free and the parking space is $1.00/hour, I suspect it may be that way at the Performing Arts Center too :?:

The new Performing Arts Center charges for both parking and for use of the EVSE's there. I'm not sure what parking costs, but the EVSE's are $1.00 per hour. It's not much fun getting double dinged.

eclecticflower said:
Thanks, davewill.

I reread the quote/agreement and it basically gives you 3 days to cancel, but I'll look into the potential for a waiver. ...
The waiver just means that Nissan won't hold up your RAQ/Delivery waiting to hear from AV. I'd get that done, and jump on AV trying to cancel ASAP. The high price is the reason that anyone who asks on here always gets told to skip getting a quote from AV. They are just taking advantage of people. Either get the EVSE Upgrade or buy a unit (even AV's unit on a cash and carry basis isn't too badly priced), and have a local electrician run the 240v circuit.

Contacted Aerovironment today and can get out of that quote. Having my electrician friend who's upgrading my service bid the extra job. It s/b quite a bit of savings. Thanks everyone for your input. :)

Decided to prod Nissan about an actual delivery date, since all I got was estimated delivery: "June 2012" and "scheduled to arrive at your dealership within 15 days of the estimated delivery month shown." Had to ask if "within 15 days" of the delivery month meant 15 ahead of or following June (a strange estimate; I need better than that).

Nissan's response: "...at this time, all directions point to an ETA of the week of June 15, 2012. Your dealer appears to have everything in order and completed for certification and your order has been placed. This arrival will be within a 2 week timeframe of before or after your ETA date and as your delivery date gets closer to the 15th, your arrival time will become more solidified. If you do notice great fluctuations in delivery, please contact us at 1-877-664-2738 for further assistance."

That beats the very vague "June 2012" listed on my account.

Still working on getting the service in my house upgraded by electrician friend (doing work on the side) and his new bid to add that 240 circuit and wiring. AV's still being vague about their minimum service cost to just install the EVSE, IF if I buy it from them at their discounted price from their original quote. They'll have to credit my $100 assessment fee, too...checking other resources for similar EVSEs.

My advice to you early adopters:

If you have a 220 plug of some sort anywhere close, then explore the modification of the 110V charge cable and don't even BOTHER to put in any sort of EVSE charging station for now. The charge stations are falling in price by the minute, and the 2012 Leaf cannot use the L2 ones anyhow. The modded 110v unit (goes to 220v) costs under $300, is portable, and charges you Leaf at the same rate as a wall charger.

Once the chargers get cheaper, or the tax breaks kick back in, then do the dedicated install.

As for me: Sidelines for now. Got impatient last year and got a Prius. Perhaps should have waited, since I have about 1500 kwh per year solar that I am overproducing and "selling" back to KCP&L for 1.8 cent per kwh. But at the time, Leafs were vaporware and Ford then and now had no plan for Missouri. At 5 miles per kwh, I could theoretically drive 7500 miles for under $30. WOW.....

I'd trade out, but I like the range of the prius and we'll need another (third) vehicle in 2013 for additional drivers(s) so the $$ to sell/trade don't make much sense. Current plan is a Leaf or Focus EV in early 2013, whichever company can deliver....

My electrician friend quoted labor & material to install the 240 volt 40 amp ciruit from my service panel across basement and through/up garage wall in 3/4" flex conduit terminating in a 1900 junction box (parts/labor) at $285.41. If I have him install the charging station onto the box, it's $45.00 more. That's a "whopping" $330.31 compared to AV's quote of $1,230.00 (service portion alone).

I cannot get AV to quote a price to just install the charging station onto the junction box (because they can't assume my electrician did everything perfectly/to code). They just want to be vague - so they're probably going to lose my business (I'll lose my $100 assessment fee) and I'll buy the EVSE equipment elsewhere. I may have my electrician buy the EVSE for me, since he'd get a business discount. Still working on this...

In the interim, I have an existing 110 outlet in my garage into which I could plug the L1 EVSE for overnight charging (no KCPL special rates/times; next day's departure in 14 1/2 hours). This should sufficiently recharge what I use in battery on my daily commute (17 mile round trip).

UPDATE:
Rec’d. call from AV quoting (vague, verbal approximation) $1,600-$1,700 for simple installation service including EVSE (assumes $721 orig. price for EVSE). LOTS of money to twist a few wires to install the EVSE into the junction box – I’ll pass. My electrician quoted $45 to install, on top of the $285.41 to add the circuitry, wiring, conduit and junction box (total $330.41). Today I purchased the AV usnit on eBay for $710 + 30 shipping (from an early adopter who didn’t buy the car). That’s $1,070.41 for the circuitry, parts, labor and EVSE. Add the $1,200 I’m spending to upgrade my homes’ service panel, total $2,270.41. Getting much more for my money this way. :)

eclecticflower said:
UPDATE:
Rec’d. call from AV quoting (vague, verbal approximation) $1,600-$1,700 for simple installation service including EVSE (assumes $721 orig. price for EVSE). LOTS of money to twist a few wires to install the EVSE into the junction box – I’ll pass. My electrician quoted $45 to install, on top of the $285.41 to add the circuitry, wiring, conduit and junction box (total $330.41). Today I purchased the AV usnit on eBay for $710 + 30 shipping (from an early adopter who didn’t buy the car). That’s $1,070.41 for the circuitry, parts, labor and EVSE. Add the $1,200 I’m spending to upgrade my homes’ service panel, total $2,270.41. Getting much more for my money this way. :)

Excellent!! I'm glad it all worked out. AV has a captive audience and has sure been making a killing; it's nice to see that some people are able to do this on their own and show AV that excessive quotes are not in their best interest.

On a different note, I have about three more weeks to go until I get my LEAF in; I hardly can wait. My delivery date keeps jumping around, but only by a few days or so. :shock:

<jealousy> Congrats on your impending arrival </jealousy>

So, had a quote from dealer's "preferred" installation company. For about 50ft of wire, 5 new breakers (4 mini's to compress existing connection and then 1 double for the new line), conduit, the Schneider ev equipment, $2500 installed.

Quote from school electrician at my wife's office, $800 for the Schneider from Lowes or Home Depot and ~$220 (pun) for installation.

Waiting to hear back from AB May on Saturday for their offer. I expect it to be between the two existing quotes.

My AV quote totally disappeared from the Nissan web site (how mysterious :shock:). I have confirmation of my VIN (exciting!) and was able to set up Carwings! Getting closer...too bad the delivery dates dance for some. The worst will be the actual dealer involvement. :lol:

I've read that once you have your VIN number and CarWings enrollments opens up (several weeks ago for me), your car is now in the United States. A few days after CarWings was enabled, I saw my pre-purchase checklist, and the final OWN section opened up. I contacted Nissan Customer Care a couple of weeks ago, and they were able to confirm that indeed, my car is at port and that it would be put on a transport on May 9th with actual delivery a couple of weeks later.

A work colleague's brother delivers new cars/trucks to dealerships and said that delivery from port always takes at least a couple of weeks here in the Midwest. He says the trains have to stop multiple places and are constantly unloading or taking on additional cars.

Good luck with Randy Reed Nissan. I'm sure it'll all be fine (you were able to nail down a price for the new car). I would suggest if you have a trade-in, to avoid any unpleasantness, that you take your car to another dealership and also to CarMax to get an offer a few days before the car comes in. That way, if Randy Reed tries to low-ball you (no doubt they will), you have other options. Over the past seven years, I've sold two cars to CarMax and got a very decent amount of money back.

As far as Randy Reed, I noticed the other day they must have caught on to the fact that they had an abysmal rating on Google reviews. Over the course of the last 30 days, there are three new "glowing, saccharin laden" reviews that look like they may have been written by the same person (perhaps an employee) that have raised their score a little bit? As a college educated math person, I find the acceleration in the reviews curious. They had three reviews last year, and suddenly, they have three in the span of less than a month? That's an order of magnitude. That's either an outlier, or there is some manipulation going on there. Of course, I'm just speculating.

2-3 weeks to go.....

Ericvoll:

Thanks for the info! Checked status today and have gotten to the check list, too. I also received a delivery date June 6th (within 7 days of the week of). At the Owners portal, too, but can't do anything until the dealer registers my carwings pin upon purchase.

Will definitely check CarMax for a quote on my current car. Know it's value from condition on KBB online. I fully expect Randy Reed to lowball it. Kinda funny you've found such glowing reviews online, so recently. Maybe Randy Reed is doing damage control under cover :lol:

Betcha can't wait to get your Leaf in a couple weeks - good luck! Post a pic when you have it.

Enjoy your cars guys. It looks like you'll be 30 days before me. Which makes sense since you ordered 30 before me. So on the EVSE situation....

1. Dealer recommended vendor (LilyPad EV): $2500 to run wire from breaker to Schneider evse, includes installing 2 micro circuit breakers to make room for the dual 40 and appropriate wire to reach garage, includes the evse.
2. Local electrician: $220 to run wire from breaker to Schneider evse, includes installing 2 micro circuit breakers to make room for the dual 40 and appropriate wire to reach garage plus cost of the evse itself, home depot/lowes $800.
3. Local company for whole house repairs/updates/hvac and more, AB May: $650-$3000 + cost of evse. Range is due to options, most expensive, new box, new breakers, whole house surge protector, wires in conduit and gold maintenance agreement. Least expensive, installing 2 micro circuit breakers to make room for the dual 40 and appropriate wire to reach garage.

Personally, I've had great experience with AB May and that's what I want but the local electrician is wife's coworker so she's leaning to having him do it. AB May was the only guy that opened the box, checked the buss, provided multiple options and explained the benefits for each option.

So today I checked and they moved my delivery date to "week of June 8" and since that's the end of a week....I'm looking at about another month, too. UNLESS my halo tilts back into position :roll: and it comes in early! :lol:

Well after much contemplation I decided today to not take delivery of my Leaf. It just isn't the right time for me to buy car.

So my blue SL is sitting at the dealer waiting for a new home (it just arrived today). If anyone in the KC area wants to drive up to Omaha to buy it I don't think it is spoken for.... just bring a flat bed to get it home! It's at Woodhouse Nissan in Bellevue, NE. Adam Ciochetto is the contact. Good guy to work with... if I would have bought it I would have definitely bought from him.

In OKC "regular dealer stock" Leaf arrived last week but first ordered now beginning of June, check with your local dealer maybe the same thing in your area

Interesting, got a note from Nissan that my delivery date changed and when I checked this time, it was placed back to it's original delivery date, week of June 6th (after having been moved to week of June 8th). Bouncing back and forth over 2 days - a bit silly, especially since it's the same week.

So there's a Cayenne Red LEAF, possible orphan in Lee's Summit? Price sounds like an SL. Interesting...there could be some price negotiation. I keep reading in this forum where people are managing to get $1000-$2000 off MSRP. Something to think about. I think I'm stuck with the quote I accepted to order mine, but maybe not...it's all about playing that (hateful) numbers game at the dealer when taking delivery (worst part about car buying, as always). I still have to have my electrician over on a Saturday this month to upgrade service/install EVSE charging dock. It's spare time work for him. :| Even though I want my red LEAF, there's no huge rush at this point to prematurely part myself from my money - tempting, but I guess it can wait a couple more weeks! :)

In case you're interested, I just checked Lee's Summit Nissan's web site and they have 10 LEAFs listed in their New Inventory link. There are 5 SLs listed @ $38,100 and 5 SVs listed @ $36,050, one of each color for each type.

Back