I have asked my Blink EVSE to be removed

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like everyone else, I was plagued by self-test failures and pink screens of death from my Ecotality/Blink piece-of-junk.

But I found an excellent workaround. The unit contains two circuit boards. One speaks J1772 to the car and the other is a high level controller board that runs the display and talks to the network. Other than that, its SOLE function is to disable the J1772 board to keep it from charging.

Disable the high level controller board and the J1772 board will simply just work.

I did this by disconnecting the ribbon cable between the two boards. I also saved the 15W of quiescent power by pulling the DC power cable from the high level board.

Basically, I did to my on-the-Blink what Dave Bowman did to HAL 9000: disabled its misbehaving higher brain functions while keeping its lower level functions that are actually needed.

Now of course the display is totally dark and the unit is off the net, but it JUST SIMPLY WORKS as a charger! In fact, it starts up more quickly than before. And it hasn't failed to charge my car in the nearly two years since I made this modification.

I suspect some of the local municipalities have followed your advice. My advice when you find a Blink with a dead screen is to plug in and see if it works. Blink has removed these renegade chargers from their system, but you can often find they are actually alive and well on PlugShare. :p

Our study program Blink finally stopped working. We had Sustainable Solutions come out to:
1. See what problem was (disconnected wire inside)
2. Make it a dumb EVSE (done)
3. Switch out the cable and J1772 (done)

Hopefully, it will now have a second life.

Back