Is the 2012 VSP Sound Different?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-1tCkf8BFM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is news to me...Do the 2012's have this different VSP sound as featured in the Nissan You Tube video? My 2011 VSP sound is very subtle and not so beep-beepish...

I don't know what that "chirp" is in the video. I've never noticed that modulation, but haven't stood outside and listened that carefully. It is a steady "beep" as far as I can tell.

My 2012 beeps when in reverse, and makes a steady tone when moving forward. I've had people standing several feet away say they couldn't hear the forward sound, I only notice it with the windows down and when next to a fence or pulling into a garage where it reflects. The backward beeping is clearly audible to the driver even with the windows up.

does it still sound like the brakes are dragging? I can't stand the sound because of this. When I first got the car I thought something was wrong with the brakes until I turned off the sound and realized that it was the VSP that sounded like the brakes dragging. Now I just turn it off every time because of this. Can't wait to get my LeafScan so it will do it automatically. Two less buttons to press at startup (vsp and ok).

My Leaf doesn't sound anything like the one in the video.

I actually thought I would hate the VSP, but I've gotten used to it and kind of like it. It makes the car sound very distinct from other types of vehicles. So when driving through parking lots, people take notice of the car.

My 2011 sounds nothing like that.

In reverse, it is a pinging sound - like a truck backing up but much more subtle with a ping.

In drive, it is more of a wooshing sound - like if you held a conk shell up to your ear that progressively gets louder as you accelerate.

However, in my 2011 I have an "off" button which is part of my normal start up routine :)

I recognize that video. It's from the DVD that came with the car. I assume it was made a long time ago.

I describe the forward sound as, "It sounds as if the inverter is louder than normal. It's as if they took some of its signal and ran it to the speaker". Of course, the next guy will describe it differently :)

gbarry42 said:
I recognize that video. It's from the DVD that came with the car. I assume it was made a long time ago.

I describe the forward sound as, "It sounds as if the inverter is louder than normal. It's as if they took some of its signal and ran it to the speaker". Of course, the next guy will describe it differently :)

forward VSP = Jetsons

Rear VSP = Dumptruck (lite version) :D

My Leaf has the swishing sound on low speed forward and I think it is a good idea. When I put it into reverse a relay tied into the back up lights opens the speaker so there is no obnoxious beeps when I back up.

garsh said:
My 2012 sounds like this:
Nissan Leaf VSP - Short Version - Approach and Reverse Sounds

At least I think it does. It's kind of hard to hear from inside the car.

How the heck did you manage to post a widescreen video that is anamorphically squeezed so that everything look squished. (Usually people mess up and post something 4:3 that looks squished or 16:9 that looks stretched).

Anyway, yes, those are the sounds my 2012 makes.

palmermd said:
does it still sound like the brakes are dragging? I can't stand the sound because of this. When I first got the car I thought something was wrong with the brakes until I turned off the sound and realized that it was the VSP that sounded like the brakes dragging.
I hate this sound. Several times I thought something was wrong with the car or the brakes until I finally got used to the idea that when it sounded like something was being dragged along the floor it was just VSP. Never drive with it on.

There was no change to VSP between 11 and 12 model years. Only difference is NHTSA required elimination of the VSP off switch for 12.

NHTSA is looking to propose a rule that will increase VSP sound levels, and maybe also require it when the vehicle is stopped. If anyone has an issue with that I recommend you contact them before it becomes a regulation. BTW, Europe wants to reduce the sound level to limit noise pollution.

I think it would SUCK to require "noise" when stopped! Kind of defeats the benefit of an EV; we need LESS noise on the roads, not MORE. I actually use the "defeat" switch on my 2011 Leaf when I'm in a quiet environment. I put this in the "lets see how we can penalize EVs with extra taxes/hassles" category.

Stoaty said:
palmermd said:
does it still sound like the brakes are dragging? I can't stand the sound because of this. When I first got the car I thought something was wrong with the brakes until I turned off the sound and realized that it was the VSP that sounded like the brakes dragging.

I hate this sound. Several times I thought something was wrong with the car or the brakes until I finally got used to the idea that when it sounded like something was being dragged along the floor it was just VSP. Never drive with it on.

My 2011 does the same. I too thought there was something wrong with the car. Now I just turn it off every time I get in the car.

I think they should have a sound of a 4 year old making engine noise :)

Stoaty said:
palmermd said:

You people have very good hearing, I don't even hear it.

Back