Pics! New wheels, tires, dampers, subwoofer, tint, antenna

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drivesolo said:
Looks good! Slightly tuner-esqe, or as much as a Leaf can be.
Bringing a bit of Mira Mesa "fresh" to my moldy corner of La Jolla. ;)

Drivesolo said:
Was going from a MR to an FF was an easy transition for you? Going FR to FF for a daily driver was (and still is) a bit rough for me.
The transition from Mid Engine Rear Traction (MR) to Front Engine Front Traction (FF) is quite a change - but FF is probably safer for me in the long run. I spun out on wet streets a few times in the MR2.

TRONZ said:
Sorta looks like you could up the spacer in the front by 3/8 or 1/2 inch. Let us know if you get any frosting of the bumper paint behind the rear wheel. Might want to have some protective film added before the paint chips start showing up there. She's too pretty for that hassle.
Thanks for the suggestion TRONZ, I will get the front spacers next and have the rear bumper protected on your suggestion. The TEIN coilovers are making a bit of a slight squeak on the right side only and I will have them take a look at that too.

TRONZ said:
Very well done! Thank you for posting up the pics. I was a little freaked out when you said +48 offset all around cuz there is no way you could get a 7.5 rim that flush in the rear with that spec. Now the 1" spacer makes a lot of sense. You are running an effective offset of +23mm in the rear. Food for thought in the low offset, concave spoke camp. Congratulations the ride is looking sharp!

Tronz, what should the offsets be for the front & rear?....it looks like you mentioned +23 for the rear for a 18"rim, so would the front be the same?

eHelmholtz said:
llaumann said:
Tein "Street Basis" dampers bought on Nengun.com
Lynn, now that you've had your new setup for a while, how do you like the Tein dampers?

The Tein Street Basis dampers still feel a little bit rough on the bumps. We have a lot of erosion problems around La Jolla and there are many potholes and uneven spots in the road, so there are times when I curse the new setup as we get jarred around a bit. However all that is forgotten in those La Jolla Gran Prix moments, making all the green lights and taking the corners at top speed in a narrow lane. There are compound handling characteristics between the suspension, wheels, and tires, and I am certainly no expert on which component does what, and by how much.

The dampers certainly lower the stance in general and improve the appearance greatly. I believe they give it a firmer feel when accelerating, braking and when in the turns, and you can really feel the road when its rough.

llaumann said:
The Tein Street Basis dampers still feel a little bit rough on the bumps. We have a lot of erosion problems around La Jolla and there are many potholes and uneven spots in the road, so there are times when I curse the new setup as we get jarred around a bit. However all that is forgotten in those La Jolla Gran Prix moments, making all the green lights and taking the corners at top speed in a narrow lane. There are compound handling characteristics between the suspension, wheels, and tires, and I am certainly no expert on which component does what, and by how much.

The dampers certainly lower the stance in general and improve the appearance greatly. I believe they give it a firmer feel when accelerating, braking and when in the turns, and you can really feel the road when its rough.
Lynn, Thanks for the update and thanks in particular for letting me test drive your car - your mods have really changed the car for the better! Also, if you're interested in adding leather, here is the information; you can also add new paneling like wood or aluminum easily (Use code forum or forums to get 10% off). Side moldings can also be added, here. I particularly like the side turn signal upgrade.

Ya seen one LEAF wheel mod, ya seen them all... I've got about 20,000 miles on these:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3184&start=80#p123582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TRONZ said:
Sorta looks like you could up the spacer in the front by 3/8 or 1/2 inch. Let us know if you get any frosting of the bumper paint behind the rear wheel. Might want to have some protective film added before the paint chips start showing up there. She's too pretty for that hassle.

I haven't experienced any frosting of the bumper paint behind the rear wheel. So far, so good.

I recently improved energy economy from 6 miles/kWh to 7 miles/kWh by maxing out the tire pressure. Since I put on the Tein coilovers and the suspension was riding much more firm, I had reduced the tire pressure to 32 psi to compensate, and smooth out the bumps a bit. It was really obvious how much the low tire pressure affected the mi/kwh reading after increasing the tire pressure to 45 psi (max is 51 psi).

Where did you mount amp? I am going to buy same sub, and i have rockford fosgate amp, 550 s, can't fid a good place for it. My best idea so far - inside the front seat!! Behind seat, under cloth - it's all empty. But something tells me it's a strange location :)

I don't want it mounted in the trunk area, because I may need it clear of all stuff - and sub is easily remavable.

Stunt822, the guys at San Diego Car Stereo mounted the amplifier in the hidden cubby in the trunk, I think it is on the left side, where the LEAF tire kit is located. There is plenty of room in there. This video shows where it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPnUxSmcac8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Before i read your post - i put it under glove box, had to remove one panel. Passenger does not compain.
By the way, highly recommend this JL Audio sub - sound is amazing. I'm happy now with overall sound quality - do not think i will be replacing other speakers.

As for cubby space - i've put tow rope and 50 feet extension cord there:) Just in case:)

I have an update on the ride quality of the TEIN coilover suspension. I recently had the suspension adjusted to its lowest setting without interfering with the tires. This smoothes the ride considerably. I would now recommend the TEIN coilovers as long as they are adjusted to their lowest point. This change makes a big difference going over the bumps.

Interesting - so setting it up lower improved ride quality instead of making it worse?

Have any pics and/or measurements (from center of wheel-hub to fender lip, front and rear) of the new setup? How much lower is it than it was before?

It must be at higher ride-heights there is very little droop travel left...

Yes, lowering the car approximately 1/2 inch did smooth out the ride. The measurements from center of wheel-hub to fender lip front and rear are the same. 13 7/8 inches currently. Looks good. Rides great.

Just got new wheels and tires:
eg5_zps6fd5e994.jpg

I bought the same sub for my Wife's Prius C but I got her the XD700/5 amp because I'm changing out all her drivers as well.

I Love JL Audio!

llaumann said:
Thanks for the compliments, I appreciate that. Here are the audio specs:

JL AUDIO XD300/1: Monoblock Class D Subwoofer Amplifier, 300 W - $279

t429_aa100220d428b578533341df0447b621.jpg

JL AUDIO CP108LG-W3v3: Single 8W3v3 MicroSub, Ported - $249

t407_cfb820a4a950ebe77f02f0538a28feca.jpg

Back