Official Ford C-MAX Energi PHEV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
the general skinny looks to be hybrids by early MY or late summer, EVs mid Winter, Ext ranges not till early 13 on the Ford Front.
Yes - if they use the same timelines as they are doing for FFE, Energi should be 6 months late.

Nissan's time to market advantage is looking impressive with over 27k Leafs delivered to date, and others fumbling around for another year or two at best.

cdub said:
Isnt' the C-Max energi like the volt? A serial? They don't actually say anywhere - or I missed it.

I wondered about this as well. I see from some reports that the C-Max hybrid "blends" power from the ICE and electric motor. I take this to mean that a parallel arrangement like the Prius will be uses, and like the Prius plug-in, they simply add a larger battery to make the Energi a plug-in. If this is correct, I see no reason to switch from the tried and true Prius HSD.

LKK said:
cdub said:
Isnt' the C-Max energi like the volt? A serial? They don't actually say anywhere - or I missed it.

I wondered about this as well. I see from some reports that the C-Max hybrid "blends" power from the ICE and electric motor. I take this to mean that a parallel arrangement like the Prius will be uses, and like the Prius plug-in, they simply add a larger battery to make the Energi a plug-in. If this is correct, I see no reason to switch from the tried and true Prius HSD.

http://www.ford.com/cars/cmax/2013/features/#page=Feature8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The all-new C-MAX Energi is designed to deliver maximum efficiency by combining an advanced high-voltage lithium-ion battery and electric motor with a gasoline engine. Because the gasoline engine does not run all the time, you could go farther between refueling stops. The plug-in capability allows you to fully charge the battery overnight easily using a standard 120-volt outlet. The C-MAX Energi uses an air cooling system to regulate battery temperature and help maximize battery life, so you can get the most miles out of each charge. Another feature of the C-MAX Energi is called EV Mode. This is a button that lets you switch the vehicle between EV Now, Auto EV, and EV Later modes. Which lets you choose which mode to drive in – electric only, gasoline only or a combination of gas and electric.
http://www.c-maxenergi.com/2012/01/ford-expands-plug-in-line-with-fusion.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ford did put out the specifications sheet for Fusion Energi. But multiple sources are quoting 20 miles. This looks likely - though I had earlier estimated it to be closer to 30 miles. One more important stat - just like C-Max Energi, Fusion will go upto 62 mph [100 kph] on EV mode.
I think it goes out of EV under hard acceleration like the PiP as well. (Recall Volt will go 100 MPH on all battery regardless of acceleration).

LKK said:
cdub said:

Like PIP, Energi uses PowerSplit. See details in my C-Max Energi blog.

evnow said:
LKK said:
cdub said:
Like PIP, Energi uses PowerSplit. See details in my C-Max Energi blog.
Here is the google search for his blog/site:
site:www.c-maxenergi.com (powersplit OR power-split)
https://www.google.com/search?&q=site%3Awww.c-maxenergi.com+(powersplit+OR+power-split" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

I read that they are taking orders for the Hybrid now, $25,999, proudly proclaiming $500 less than the Prius V. Press releases are saying the hybrid MPG beats the Prius V, but don't have exact figures yet, as I guess they are still waiting on the EPA offical test. I am anixious to see the pricing on the energi.

Price, gas MPG, electric battery size, on the energi are all figures I am interested in knowing. Plus, I wonder about width of the back seat. I might need to do a rear facing car seat and two boosters at the same time in the future.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...-orders-for-c-max-hybrid-its-prius-v-rival-/1

C-MAX says 55" shoulder width in the rear seat, probably for two passengers.

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2013_CMAX_Specs.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Think of the Energi as a PIP, but with a larger battery, probably around 5kWh usable.. hopefully with a better price than the ripoff PIP. More passenger space but less cargo space than a PIP, almost 4000lbs heavy!

DaveinOlyWA said:
Any info on EV range for the energi??
21 miles.

BTW, Ford has priced C-Max Hybrid at $500 less than Prius v. My hope is that Energi will be $500 less than PIP or about $30k after tax credits.

Let's hope Ford can provide some real competition to Toyota, if it can get them to lower the price or provide additional range, that's great. So far no one has provided any real competition (the Volt is a 4 seat compact, Prius is a 5 seat midsize, not the same class), I think it would give them a wake up call.. With the Dollar/Yen current valuation, Ford should have a pricing advantage over Toyota, if the components are all U.S. sourced, and not imported. I say the more choices, the better.

20 EV range is going to be more competition on the Volt but it all really comes down to price. Put it at the mid 30s before incentives and we will have an interesting battle on

DaveinOlyWA said:
20 EV range is going to be more competition on the Volt but it all really comes down to price. Put it at the mid 30s before incentives and we will have an interesting battle on

My bet it comes in $2k below the Volt, but you never know, Ford likes to price high and then offer incentives. Note that it wont get a full $7500 tax credit.

Ford expects 95 MPGe combined fuel economy, 20-mile all electric range from C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid

Ford expects the new Ford C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid (PHEV) (earlier post) to achieve more than 20 miles of electric-only range and a 550-mile overall range on a single tank of fuel. Fuel economy is the equivalent of 95 miles per gallon (MPGe) (2.5L/100km equivalent) combined city/highway.

The C-MAX Hybrid (conventional version) is projected to have fuel economy of 47 mpg on the city cycle.

Like C-MAX Hybrid, C-MAX Energi has projected total system horsepower of 188 (140 kW) that stems from the combination of a gasoline engine and a battery-driven electric motor. When powered by gasoline, the C-MAX Energi uses the new 2.0-liter Atkinson-cycle four-cylinder engine.

Ford C-MAX Energi Plug-In Hybrid Expected to Deliver 550-Mile Range and Nearly Double Electric-Only Range of Prius

With a maximum electric-only speed projected to top that of Prius plug-in, C-MAX Energi drivers might be able to reach wherever they’re going a little faster, too.

I think I found my next plug-in...

I had hoped for something more like the Volt range. Only 20 miles (and it may actually be less on the EPA cycle) will likely take it out of contention for us... That's only marginally better than the PiP...

drees said:
Ford expects the new Ford C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid (PHEV) (earlier post) to achieve more than 20 miles of electric-only range and a 550-mile overall range on a single tank of fuel. Fuel economy is the equivalent of 95 miles per gallon (MPGe) (2.5L/100km equivalent) combined city/highway.

70 Kw motor, 21 EV miles looks good. if you look at it and the 2013 Escape, its easy to see why they did away with the hybrid. just too similar

TomT said:
I had hoped for something more like the Volt range. Only 20 miles (and it may actually be less on the EPA cycle) will likely take it out of contention for us... That's only marginally better than the PiP...
I highly suspect that they are quoting EPA range - otherwise they wouldn't be able to say "Nearly Double Electric-Only Range of Prius". I'd bet that it comes in at 21 miles EPA EV range.

Hmm, though the "Electric-Only" range of the Prius is technically only 6 miles before the gas engine has to kick in once (11 miles before engine fully comes on). I wonder if that means that on the EPA test the Energi will get something like 10 miles before the engine has to kick in to support the load? Doesn't really make sense, though... Going to have to wait for the EPA sticker.

The Fusion Energi is supposed to be more efficient than the C-MAX - that will be interesting, too, but a bit longer of a car than I hoped. Could be a toss-up between the 2 cars?

drees said:
TomT said:
I highly suspect that they are quoting EPA range - otherwise they wouldn't be able to say "Nearly Double Electric-Only Range of Prius". I'd bet that it comes in at 21 miles EPA EV range.

Hmm, though the "Electric-Only" range of the Prius is technically only 6 miles before the gas engine has to kick in once (11 miles before engine fully comes on). I wonder if that means that on the EPA test the Energi will get something like 10 miles before the engine has to kick in to support the load? Doesn't really make sense, though... Going to have to wait for the EPA sticker.

The Fusion Energi is supposed to be more efficient than the C-MAX - that will be interesting, too, but a bit longer of a car than I hoped. Could be a toss-up between the 2 cars?

same 70 Kw motor so if more efficient i would guess that its because of weight, aero, etc. no real info on size of the C-max. obviously bigger than a Focus and smaller than an Escape, but how much smaller? its beginning to look like its not much smaller.

also the C Max hybrid touts regenerative braking that is 90% efficient. wondering if that applies to all 2013 Ford hybrid/electrics?

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/24/ford-c-max-energi-plug-in-hybrid-priced-at-33-745-or-29-995-a/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The U.S. federal tax credit for plug-in vehicles maxes out at $7,500 for cars with batteries that are 16 kWh or larger. The Ford C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid doesn't have that big of a pack, so the most the feds will grant you for buying one is $3,750. Still, the Energi's just-announced price of $33,745 is competitive in the plug-in space, since most people will end up paying $29,995.

Ford calls the Energi "America's most affordable plug-in hybrid," but that would seem to be just barely the case. The $33,745 price includes destination fees. The Toyota Prius Plug-In, with those fees, is priced at $32,760, and it qualifies for $2,500 in federal tax credits, so it comes to $30,260 in the end. That's just $265 more than the Energi. To make another comparison, the regular hybrid C-Max will cost $25,995, including destination. Both of these Ford vehicles will be available later this year.

if i had to guess, i would say that the C-Max Energi will go for $43,000. iow, MORE than a Volt

the Transit Connect EV is $62,000 and yes its loaded with factory incentives but not to the public...

Eligibility: Balance™ Hybrid Electric & Transit Connect Electric

Amount: $15,000 For Transit Connect Electric purchased by a fleet
$20,000 For Balance™ Hybrid Electric trucks and buses purchased by a fleet
$30,000 For Balance™ Hybrid Electric school buses purchased by public school districts

the $7500 fed tax rebate would be on top of this although dont know details of whether a business would qualify but they generally qualify for a lot more than we do

**edit** u can now price a one at Ford.com i priced one out at $36,000 nicely equiped. base is $32,950. this is a much better price than i expected BUT its only a 7.5 KW battery pack

Back