Introduction!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got a 5.16 Sunpower PV solar system installed. They replace my old service box a 125amp with a 200amp. They did not have to change the feed wires from the street to the box not sure why you would need it change. How old is your house mind is built in 1984. I sure hope I get the free charger. I drive about 70 miles a day to work and back and I live in AZ so with the heat and driving. They should be able to learn something about how I keep it charged up.

Gonewild said:
I just got a 5.16 Sunpower PV solar system installed. They replace my old service box a 125amp with a 200amp. They did not have to change the feed wires from the street to the box not sure why you would need it change. How old is your house mind is built in 1984. I sure hope I get the free charger. I drive about 70 miles a day to work and back and I live in AZ so with the heat and driving. They should be able to learn something about how I keep it charged up.

After all the rebates, how much does it cost ?

The system was $29,000 with a monitor. They throw in the 200amp panel for free to get me to brake a contract I had with a different company and go with them. They normally charge $2,300 for the 200 amp service panel. I got the Sunpower system this cheap because it was in Dec 09 and the world was coming to an end we thought. All solar company's where panicky to get a sale.

-13,500 power company rebate.
=15,500 cost

plus 30% of the cost from fed's
and $1,000 from state.

Perhaps the pre-1980 codes allowed direct-buried feed cables, and allowed smaller cables for a 150-amp feed.

Here, if changing to a 200-amp feed, SDG&E makes you replace the feed (larger wires, in conduit).

Well I have direct-buried cable but code in AZ are looser then other states. The new box had to put a new larger riser.

Gonewild said:

I'm also in AZ, and we already have 200A service, so I'm hoping to qualify for the free charging station. We're also planning on getting a 6.5Kwh (was told we needed this size to charge the car) system before this December.

garygid said:
"needed" the 30-amp (40-amp dual breaker) 240v EVSE?

Very interesting!
Level 2 high (the "four hour charge") is 6.6kW. 6600/240 = 27.5A. So 30-amp would be cutting it awfully close.

By the way, I'm sure garygid knows this, but some others may not. EVSE is the proper name for the gadget mounted on the wall that is hardwired to a 240V circuit. It's not a charger, just a way to get the juice to the car and make a number of safety checks. The charger is inside the Leaf. I expect that all the EVSEs will support 6.6kW, though if so there will surely be a jumper or switch or setting for the electrician to indicate whether it is connected to a 40A circuit.

What you probably won't have, though, is a 6.6kW charger in your 2011 Leaf, so the best you can do (short of finding one of those $40,000 external fast chargers) is an eight hour full charge. Or wait for 2012.

planet4ever said:
garygid said:
"needed" the 30-amp (40-amp dual breaker) 240v EVSE?

Very interesting!
Level 2 high (the "four hour charge") is 6.6kW. 6600/240 = 27.5A. So 30-amp would be cutting it awfully close.

By the way, I'm sure garygid knows this, but some others may not. EVSE is the proper name for the gadget mounted on the wall that is hardwired to a 240V circuit. It's not a charger, just a way to get the juice to the car and make a number of safety checks. The charger is inside the Leaf. I expect that all the EVSEs will support 6.6kW, though if so there will surely be a jumper or switch or setting for the electrician to indicate whether it is connected to a 40A circuit.

What you probably won't have, though, is a 6.6kW charger in your 2011 Leaf, so the best you can do (short of finding one of those $40,000 external fast chargers) is an eight hour full charge. Or wait for 2012.

You can buy a 12kw charger that you can take along for $3300 if you are qualified enough to make the proper connections to the DC port.

KarenRei said:
For that price? DC? Nowhere that I know of. If you can find one, let me know!

Well I said 12kw not 15kw. Karen, before I give you the answer you already know I'll see if you can guess:) HInt, the initials of the company that makes them are the same as your favorite EV builder:) Note the sarcasm.

I didn't read your post stating 12kW (sorry, I've been trying to catch up on threads after a brief hiatus), only Gary's post stating 15kW. ;) Although I'm surprised to discover, from a quick check, that Manzanita's PFC-50 is down to $3,300 -- not bad. I recall them being closer to $4k. Perhaps the difference is with vs. without buck enhancement?

KarenRei said:
I didn't read your post stating 12kW (sorry, I've been trying to catch up on threads after a brief hiatus), only Gary's post stating 15kW. ;) Although I'm surprised to discover, from a quick check, that Manzanita's PFC-50 is down to $3,300 -- not bad. I recall them being closer to $4k. Perhaps the difference is with vs. without buck enhancement?

Good job- Buck conversion is pointless on the Leaf pack but the price as I remember seems to keep creeping up but it still a great value.

I found a document on Darels site, showing how to hook the PFC-50 to a RAV4EV, even shows some generators being used to convert it to a serial hybrid for longer range use. Interesting device that PFC-50.

http://www.evnut.com/docs/rav_docs/rav4evpfc50.pdf

$3267 here, but none in stock: http://www.revoltevc.com/chargers/pfc50.html
$3300 here: http://www.evsource.com/tls_pfc50.php

mfr: http://www.manzanitamicro.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=14&Itemid=64
pdf manual: http://www.manzanitamicro.com/index.php?option=com_filecabinet&task=download&cid[]=5

Back