What size portable generator to L2 charge?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ingineer said:
TonyWilliams said:
Ok, 120v * 26.6a max = 3192 watts max continuous, so you're right at the limit. How do we get a switched 13a to 16a Panasonic ? Wait a minute, is that 120v or 240v? I don't think those generators are making 240v. You're not putting 26 amps through the Panasonic ??????
I use two EU2000's in series with a special circuit. This produces 240v, then I use an EVSE programmed for 13A. I can easily set an EVSE to any amperage I choose here in the Lab, but there is no easy way to make it adjustable in the field.

-Phil

So, we just need you to whip me up a "special circuit" for two Hondas, and when you're done with that, I'll take a "Quick 240-100" for two RV campground NEMA 14-50's.

This generator produces 15kW and does 240v.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=203842#p203842" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Video here shows them powering tools as an example:
PG&E Demonstration Drives in San Francisco - http://www.viamotors.com/videos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LTLFTcomposite said:
If it were possible to engineer a portable generator with size, weight and quietness of the EU2000 that put out 3.3kw at 240V and had a four foot J1772 cable/plug that would make a pretty sweet accessory.

We have Ballard Fuel Cell gensets which put out 10KW 220VAC 3-phase and 120 VAC at both 60 Hz and 400 Hz which are about the size of a foot locker. They ain't cheap but they make no noise. Great for Stealthy, sneaky folks who were never there, and you never saw them or heard them. I am thinking the GGSA price is about $40,000 and it runs on any re-formable product. Army is using with a JP8 fueled version too. Also, there are several sizes of a high pressure steam gen set out of Florida which the DoD has been buying up in truck-loads. Runs on anything liquid which will burn.

Dave

Ingineer said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
If it were possible to engineer a portable generator with size, weight and quietness of the EU2000 that put out 3.3kw at 240V and had a four foot J1772 cable/plug that would make a pretty sweet accessory.
NOW, How much would you Pay?!? =)

It's always possible, but given the extremely low quantities such a device would be sold at, expect it to cost upwards of a quarter million to be worth making.

Honda couldn't even do it, so it's unlikely you'll ever see it unless you want to pay someone megabucks.

-Phil

OK but I can dream can't I? :)

Is the EU2000 a US only product? (ironic since the name starts with "EU") If there was a European version that put out 240 you'd be one step closer, although maybe that doesn't help if the only option to consume less power on L2 is 10 amps.

I suppose if there were enough EVs out there to make such a product viable there would also be enough public charging around to make it unnecessary.

I'm sorry but I have to think that anyone would would need to use something like this generator scheme more than once a year or so would be better off with a Volt or equivalent.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I suppose if there were enough EVs out there to make such a product viable there would also be enough public charging around to make it unnecessary.

smkettner said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
Is the EU2000 a US only product? (ironic since the name starts with "EU") If there was a European version that put out 240 you'd be one step closer, although maybe that doesn't help if the only option to consume less power on L2 is 10 amps.
http://www.honda.co.uk/energy/generators/

I presume that there won't be any problems running a UK specification Honda EU2000 with the modified Panasonic at 230 volts, vice the USA 240v. The 50Hz versus 60Hz might be an issue, but Phol would know that answer.

But, the final issue is COST. In Pound Sterling, those things list for 1350. That's $1800-$2000 each. I can buy two of the USA spec 120v models for that price, and not pay import duties and IVA (20%) tax. Plus oversea shipping.

So, I'd prefer to stick with a cheaper generator that I can use here with normal 120v things, and also use to charge the car. So, if a kit comes out to modify them to run 240v, I would prefer that.

smkettner said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

That's the ticket, only 1600 watts though, only a marginal improvement over L1.

LTLFTcomposite said:
smkettner said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

That's the ticket, only 1600 watts though, only a marginal improvement over L1.

The idea would be to use two, so you end up with a bit under 3.0kW continuous, while producing 230 volt, 14 amp (actually, it might only be 13 amp limit).

Both generators are "cheap"and light enough to easily handle and carry, and compatible with the modified EVSE at 12 amps and 230/240v.

Yes, there is a 240v 50hz version of the EU2000i, and it will work, bit it would require a special EVSE dialed down to 6 amps, so you'd really get no more speed than you do with a US spec model unless you Parallel them. I may offer a US EU2000i two unit 240v box as soon as I get caught up on projects. (LEAFSCAN is priority)

It would be a waste to purchase two 240v models then be unable to use them for other purposes here, such as home backup, so I advise you not to do this.

You can use a 2kva pilot transformer right now with two 120v units, I'll be happy to help someone set it up, but my compact sync device is not yet ready for release.

-Phil

Better use the eropean 230V EU3000i. Small enough to handle for one person, and it can supply enough power to satisfy the 12A 240V upgraded EVSE. That is 2760 watts, the EU3000i can do 2800W continously.

This is about the max one can make portable and somewhat silent.

jkirkebo said:
Better use the eropean 230V EU3000i. Small enough to handle for one person, and it can supply enough power to satisfy the 12A 240V upgraded EVSE. That is 2760 watts, the EU3000i can do 2800W continously.

Dry Weight 134 lbs.

No thanks. Are you going to lift that in the trunk?

Two of these together (either USA or UK spec) won't charge a 6.6kW LEAF / Focus, etc. (only 5600 watts rated total).

25A) 2800W rated (23.3A) Receptacles 20A 125V Duplex, 30A 125V Locking Plug DC Output 12V, 144W (12A) Starting System Recoil ...
Compare prices from $1,850 at 2 stores

TonyWilliams said:
jkirkebo said:

Dry Weight 134 lbs.

Two of these together (either USA or UK spec) won't charge a 6.6kW LEAF / Focus, etc. (only 5600 watts rated total).

25A) 2800W rated (23.3A) Receptacles 20A 125V Duplex, 30A 125V Locking Plug DC Output 12V, 144W (12A) Starting System Recoil ...

If they had a European version of this one you might be getting closer...
http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu3000i-handi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LTLFTcomposite said:
TonyWilliams said:
jkirkebo said:

Dry Weight 134 lbs.

If they had a European version of this one you might be getting closer...
http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu3000i-handi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's the model we're talking about, EU3000. It does matter if that is 230 volt UK or 120 volt USA, it's too heavy for practical lifting in the back of a car at 134 pounds, and two of them together (they produce the same POWER in Japan, USA, or UK) won't power the very soon to arrive 6.6 kW cars.

TonyWilliams said:
That's the model we're talking about, EU3000. It does matter if that is 230 volt UK or 120 volt USA, it's too heavy for practical lifting in the back of a car at 134 pounds, and two of them together (they produce the same POWER in Japan, USA, or UK) won't power the very soon to arrive 6.6 kW cars.

Look closer I think there's the 134lb one that's been around for several years and a newer one (the "handi") that's 78lbs, like a bloated eu2000.

LTLFTcomposite said:
TonyWilliams said:

Look closer I think there's the 134lb one that's been around for several years and a newer one (the "handi") that's 78lbs, like a bloated eu2000.

Exactly. 78 lbs is ok to handle, and it will charge a Leaf from turtle to full in about ~9 hours with the 12A upgraded EVSE. I can't think of a more optimized package for generator Leaf charging. Personally I use a EU6500i at my cabin, but it's not exactly very portable :/

Well.....I dunno; I can see having a generator @ home or work, or @ the vacation cabin to charge the Leaf in a pinch. But, hauling around a heavy, gas-consuming ICE to power your electric car doesn't make much sense to me. Like an earlier poster said, why not just buy a Volt?

derkraut said:
Well.....I dunno; I can see having a generator @ home or work, or @ the vacation cabin to charge the Leaf in a pinch. But, hauling around a heavy, gas-consuming ICE to power your electric car doesn't make much sense to me. Like an earlier poster said, why not just buy a Volt?
You probably wouldn't haul it around all the time, but it would be some peace of mind if you headed out on a longer trip, planning to use public charging along the way, but ran into the unexpected at some point... like copper thieves got there ahead of you, campground under new management that hates EVs because the last guy left a beer bottle on the ground, wrong turn, who knows. You wouldn't do it with the idea of sitting around a rest area for nine hours picking up a full charge, more like 1-2 hours to get an extra 20 more miles down the road where there is a hitching post.

derkraut said:
In my case, to take the LEAF to a dealer for service since public charge stations of any kind don't exist and the dealer is just beyond LEAF range. Or to take it on trips beyond nominal range just for fun. None of which has anything to do with the fact that the LEAF serves the vast majority of my local driving needs just fine. Why deal with the complexity and expense of a Volt?

If L2 public charge stations ever appear here I can just sell the generator; they are in much demand by RVers.

Back