What size portable generator to L2 charge?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LTLFTcomposite said:
If they had a European version of this one you might be getting closer...
http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu3000i-handi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's called the EU26i in Europe I believe.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu3000i-handi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Phil

Output (kw):  Rated  2.4 ( 10.4 amps)
Output Voltage (V)  230
Dry Weight (kg)  54 (120 pounds)
Frequency (Hz)  50

Frankly, on those rare occasions when we need to go farther than the Leaf can take us, we just take the ICE... That might offend some, but so be it; it is a simply solution for us that requires no planning or foresight or special equipment...

dgpcolorado said:
Why deal with the complexity and expense of a Volt?

Ingineer said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

-Phil

The EU26i looks more like the original, heavier 3000is:
EU3000is_150x150.jpg

As opposed to the newer, lighter 3000i-handi:
EU3000iHAN_150x150.jpg

Not that it matters all that much, but if one were looking for an emergency backup generator to carry on occasion, the latter, if it were available in 240V and could be fitted with an internal EVSE and J-1772 connector :D would come as close as anything to fitting the bill.

Hmmm... I'm thinking about buying a trailor hitch, attaching a Thule-type carrier (ventilated), and putting 1 or 2 EU2000i generators in it. I don't always have to lug this around but it sure would be nice to have when needed.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

scottsleaf said:
Hmmm... I'm thinking about buying a trailor hitch, attaching a Thule-type carrier (ventilated), and putting 1 or 2 EU2000i generators in it. I don't always have to lug this around but it sure would be nice to have when needed.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Unless you are carrying a lot of cargo a single EU2000i will easily fit in the trunk. It is plenty hot after running so a cool down period of 15-30 minutes would be best before placing it back in the car. A carrier would be nice for a bigger 240 V generator or two small ones. But joining two EU2000i generators in phase to make 240 V would be difficult unless you have EE skills like Phil. As he explained it in the main generator thread, it isn't as simple as plugging the two generators together.

LTLFTcomposite said:
The EU26i looks more like the original, heavier 3000is:
EU3000is_150x150.jpg

As opposed to the newer, lighter 3000i-handi:
EU3000iHAN_150x150.jpg

Not that it matters all that much, but if one were looking for an emergency backup generator to carry on occasion, the latter, if it were available in 240V and could be fitted with an internal EVSE and J-1772 connector :D would come as close as anything to fitting the bill.
Sorry, Looks like it's called the EU30i. 2.6kW 230v 8.3a 50hz, though it can easily be switched to 60hz by adding a jumper (not that that matters for charging a Leaf).

This unit would charge a Leaf about twice as fast as 120v L1. About 10 hours for a full charge.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
The 150lb European Yamaha EF-3000iSE would work well with one of our REV1 units for over twice as fast of a charge as L1: (9ish hours)

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/generators/ef-3000ise.aspx

-Phil

Good find on the EU30i, would you have the EVSE indicate 10 amps @ 240V? How would the Yamaha be better? At 150lbs that would be a back breaker (not that 76lbs for the Honda would be a picnic either) but it would be 2800w vs 2600w continuous, and twice the fuel capacity... but frankly who would plan to sit around somewhere more than three hours charging this way anyway? You'd have to really be in a pickle.

seems like we need to figure out how to hook two of the Yamaha EF2400iSHC together in a 240V setup.

lifting ~80 lbs twice vs ~150 once is a big deal. Plus, if possible, 2xEF2400i would be noticeably faster than the EF-3000

Of course, A 30kw turbine trailer would be a good option too!

LTLFTcomposite said:
Good find on the EU30i, would you have the EVSE indicate 10 amps @ 240V? How would the Yamaha be better? At 150lbs that would be a back breaker (not that 76lbs for the Honda would be a picnic either) but it would be 2800w vs 2600w continuous, and twice the fuel capacity... but frankly who would plan to sit around somewhere more than three hours charging this way anyway? You'd have to really be in a pickle.
We can set an EVSE to any amperage requested, but for the EU30i, I'd set it to 8 amps and for the EF-3000iSE; 12A.

Two EU30i's in parallel could charge the Leaf at it's full rate.

-Phil

Back