Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is going to cause some people, even in cool climates, to double think acquiring a Leaf... My 4 year lease is looking better and better at this point.

LEAFfan said:
Losing 2 capacity bars is over 21% loss. If losing 2 bars in a little over a year is gradual, then Nissan has gone insane.

leafkabob said:
1. Azdre - Reported bar lost mid April to early May, 2012. 17K miles/14 months ownership. Phoenix
2. bturner - May 12, 2012. 13.6K/12 months. Phoenix
3. turbo2ltr - May 18, 2012. 13K/15 months. Phoenix
4. TickTock - May 20, 2012. 12K?/12 months? Phoenix
5. Volusiano - May 20, 2012. 16.5K/12 months. Phoenix
6. Mark13 - May 22, 2012. 15.7K/12 months. Phoenix
7. Leafkabob - May 26, 2012. 9.5K/12 months. Phoenix
8. Cyellen - __________. ___K/14 months. Phoenix
9. RickS - June 10, 2012. 11.3K/13 months. Phoenix

Not reported by owner, but by others:
1. Opossum has reported of two cars in Phoenix that have lost 2 bars.
2. Leafkabob reported a street encounter with a Leaf owner who stated he lost a bar after about a year.
Great compilation, Leafkabob! Thank you. When you figure out how you want to pursue this with Nissan together with other Phoenix owners who lost 1 bar, please let us know so we can join forces.

And Nissan only claims 5 reports out of thousands in Phoenix in that GreenCarReports article when it's easily 10 to 11 already and if not counting upward. And to do it right, we should find out how many people who are registered on this forum from Phoenix and see what the ratio of the reported losses over registered Phoenix owners is. And I'm sure there are registered owners on the forum who may no longer participate or follow the threads after they bought their cars. So the ratio would already be a conservative estimate of the % of Phoenix owners affected by the loss. But for sure it's not only 5 out of the thousands like Nissan wants us to believe.

Is there an easy way to see how many forum members are registered as from Phoenix? Or for a more accurate ratio, we should go to the Phoenix thread in the forum and count the number of Phoenix owners participating there and use this number as the denominator.

TonyWilliams said:
Rav4's that are still running around on original batteries with over 100,000 miles, over 10 years, and still get 100 mile range with a 6.6 kW charger.
There are very few RAV4s that meet that criteria - the fleet studies I've seen show 10-30% degradation over 5 years /100k miles as one would expect. After 10 years most have had their packs replaced/repaired.

shrink said:
leafkabob said:
1. Azdre - Reported bar lost mid April to early May, 2012. 17K miles/14 months ownership. Phoenix
4. TickTock - May 20, 2012. 12K?/12 months? Phoenix

2. Leafkabob reported a street encounter with a Leaf owner who stated he lost a bar after about a year.

I'm at 10 months/10,000 miles and still have all 12. Will keep you all posted though. I must be on the verge.

Yours was at the same loss as mine, about 9%, but now I lost another 2%. If you want me to check yours again, just let me know.

leafkabob said:
4. TickTock - May 20, 2012. 14K/12 months. Phoenix

Updated my entry

You can add one more to the bar losers in the Phoenix area. Someone told me that Skywagon lost a bar about a month ago or so and they said he has already traded it in on some kind of hybrid after Nissan told him the same thing...his loss was "gradual" and "normal". He bought it in Jan. and had over 15K miles on it. The person didn't know which hybrid he bought.

Pipcecil said:
I still don't understand the condition in Arizona versus other places that have resulted in the faster battery degredation. Texas last year had an extreme scorcher summer, not on par with Arizona, but temperatures stayed well above 100 degrees usually averaging about 105. Texas last summer also did not get the cooling affect that Arizona gets during the nighttime hours. We had long periods were the temperature never dropped below 90 degrees for weeks!
I am no battery/engineer guy, but something must be significantly worse in Arizona versus places like Texas. Humidity and dry air? Payment heating (could there be a difference from asphalt to concrete)? As of yet (knock on wood) no one in Texas has reported battery loss, and, you could easily make the comparison that Texas is mostly similar to Arizona for heat-wise that got early roll outs.
I am a little hesitant to quickly jump to "its a heat related issue only" since no one in Texas has had problems. There has to be more to the equation than this, it just doesn't add up unless that few degree difference makes an exponential impact to the battery degradation.

Have you ever been to AZ in the summer? The cooler temps at night that you are talking about are in Spring, not Summer. In the summer, it stays above 100 for a long time...well into the early morning hours. Now, we can open the windows in our home after MN to 1 AM. In a few weeks, we won't be able to as the outside night temps will be much higher than inside. And last year we had OVER 30 days of 110 or higher. How many 110's or higher did you have last year? August is usually the hottest which had 12 straight days of 110 or higher last year.
We have LEAF drivers that have only charged to 80%, always park in the shade, never top off, never leave it at 100%, and have cool garages, etc., yet have lost a capacity bar. My guess is the many days of 100 and above that we have here affects the pack the most.

Las Vegas often has a similar condition so I'm a little surprised that we haven't seen the same situation there... Apparently the average of high temperature extended periods must be greater in Phoenix. Or perhaps there simply aren't that many older cars yet in Las Vegas for it to have showed up...

LEAFfan said:
Have you ever been to AZ in the summer? The cooler temps at night that you are talking about are in Spring, not Summer. In the summer, it stays above 100 for a long time...well into the early morning hours. Now, we can open the windows in our home after MN to 1 AM. In a few weeks, we won't be able to as the outside night temps will be much higher than inside. And last year we had OVER 30 days of 110 or higher. How many 110's or higher did you have last year? August is usually the hottest which had 12 straight days of 110 or higher last year.
We have LEAF drivers that have only charged to 80%, always park in the shade, never top off, never leave it at 100%, and have cool garages, etc., yet have lost a capacity bar. My guess is the many days of 100 and above that we have here affects the pack the most.

LEAFfan said:
You can add one more to the bar losers in the Phoenix area. Someone told me that Skywagon lost a bar about a month ago or so and they said he has already traded it in on some kind of hybrid after Nissan told him the same thing...his loss was "gradual" and "normal". He bought it in Jan. and had over 15K miles on it. The person didn't know which hybrid he bought.

Wow. I might be joining him in the trade-in while I still have all 12 bars.

I remember when I bought the car that the dealer was topping off while we were doing the papers. He mentioned that on all the cars he "never seen more of 128 miles, regardless of how much" he topped off. 128 miles on the GOM that is. My car was at the dealer for a week after it came. I see some of the cars at 12 months mark, so delivered late spring in AZ. Maybe there is a correlation between these capacity losses and how long the car stayed at the dealer charged at 100%, and being topped off? That will be hard to prove since CW was usually activated after the owners took delivery of the cars. Unless there is a log file in the car.

As a side note: dealers in hot climates should have QC, so their demo cars do not stay at 100% to make the prospective clients fill good.

camasleaf said:
Maybe there is a correlation between these capacity losses and how long the car stayed at the dealer charged at 100%, and being topped off?

That could be the source of the problem for a lot of people. I can see the cars sitting outside in 110 degree heat and the pack at 100% for days on end.

It would be easy for Nissan to fix this problem. Just have the cars ship with a default to charge to 80% only.

LEAFfan said:

I was wondering about Skywagon. As I recall, he bought his car from Fontana Nissan in CA and drove it home or perhaps trailered it home. So if anyone is thinking that some of this capacity loss might have been caused by the shipping and storage of LEAFs at AZ dealers, Skywagon would be an exception to that. Interesting that he apparently lost a bar as well.

I picked mine up the day after it arrives at the dealership so I know mine wasn't sitting in storage at 100% charge for any long time at the dealership. Still lost a bar...

Nothing to add really except, ....

everyone seems to be thinking capacity loss is a result of a repetitive conditon/repetitive event .....

any chance it's just a one time event?

i.e. one overheat to above x temperature (west sloping concrete parking spot, almost no air circulation, adjacent to a 12 ton A/C compressor exhaust in august for several hours) and a major hit on capacity? (prolly not, but it seems like it should at least be discussed) --- add, if NWS is reporting 115 deg F, hold a thermometer 12" off the pavement in scenario described at 3 pm in the afternoon and guess what it will read ...(hint, much higher than 115)

/p.s. your cars have a big ol temperature gauge on the dash, this is pretty much not in the conversation either .... should Nissan redo some programming here (i.e. temp history, temp history vs charge, etc. ...is the temp gauge collecting data all the time?, does the car call you when it's getting too hot?)

As someone who lived in Austin for 9 years, then moved to PHX. Here's a frame of reference. In 2011:
Austin set record high avg temp in Aug 2011: 91.6
Dallas set record high avg temp in Aug 2011: 93.4
Vegas set record high avg temp in Aug 2011: 93.9
Phoenix set record high avg temp in Aug 2011: 98.3

That's a constant 4.5 degree higher than pretty much anywhere else. (Only Needles, CA was higher at 98.8)

And as another point, last September 2011, Phoenix didn't drop below 91 degrees, AT ALL. The lowest low temp last September was 91 for the month. So, there's no relief at night. And that's the air. The pavement still remains well over 100 as a constant heat source.

jomo25 said:
Austin set record high avg temp in Aug 2011: 91.6
Dallas set record high avg temp in Aug 2011: 93.4
Vegas set record high avg temp in Aug 2011: 93.9
Phoenix set record high avg temp in Aug 2011: 98.3
Sounds like the Leaf was not designed with climate change in mind.

Pipcecil said:
<snip>

I am no battery/engineer guy, but something must be significantly worse in Arizona versus places like Texas. Humidity and dry air? Payment heating (could there be a difference from asphalt to concrete)? <snip>
There is a considerable difference in albedo between asphalt and concrete, and large areas of exposed asphalt contribute a significant part of the 'heat island' effect in cities. Concrete both reflects more heat in summer, and is less susceptible to damage in winter so it lasts longer. However, it's also more expensive up front (even though it's life-cycle cost is the same or lower), which is why asphalt is used so much.

[Added] For more, see

http://www.epa.gov/hiri/resources/pdf/CoolPavesCompendium.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

especially page 5, which compares albedos of concrete and asphalt and shows how they change over time.

myleaf said:
I am in Phx at 13K miles 14 months, still have 12 bars (knock on wood).

I finally built my SOC kit and measured after 100% charge. I got 227. I ran the climate control using CW for 30 mins and it went to 229. This level of degradation maybe consistent for Phx. I normally charge to 80%. What is odd is that I still have all my capacity bars.

Back