How should Nissan respond to dropping capacity?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
grommet said:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3446
Oh - that ... but that was remedied a year ago so I'm not connecting the dots as to how it's relevant to battery degradation. If your car dies in the street, that's a danger. If the battery won't take you as far, that's not a danger.

OrientExpress said:
I really don't get how you can say this isn't an issue?

I can say that because everything that I have seen here completely antidotal, and essentially subjective laypersons interpretation.

If there is an issue, those that are qualified to make that assessment will do so.
Loss of capacity bars isn't anecdotal, it's fact. And as pointed out upthread, if you find that the $40k car you expected to be able to do your commute in for at least 5 years (based on Nissan's 80% after five years) is unable to do so owing to capacity loss after a year or two owing to your local climate, you are going to be mighty pissed. If Nissan doesn't take action soon to both compensate the owners who have already suffered losses, and to change the way they sell/advertise cars in hot climates, they are going to suffer the same kind of reputation hit that other companies who ignored complaints from customers have, even ignoring any lawsuits that result. Especially since the average Leaf owner is supportive of the technology, and isn't looking for an excuse to criticise it. And 'those that are qualified to decide if there's an issue' are going to be Nissan's current and future customers, regardless of what company tech reps/lawyers/PR hacks have to say. If people aren't willing to buy your cars, there's an issue.

Eventually, what it will take will be capacity warranties. I think GM took the right approach with the Volt, using an ATMS and using a smaller proportion of the battery's total capacity even though that boosted the initial cost. I'd much rather see a company guarantee a lesser capacity for x number of years than quote a maximum that won't be achievable for the period of time most people keep a car.

Finally, re your methodology of quoting 5 or 17/~25,000 of Leaf sold worldwide (rather than just those Leafs operating in high temp areas like Phoenix) as being the appropriate denominator for determining if there is a problem. By that methodology, the Challenger's SRB gaskets only catastrophically failed 1 time in 50-odd launches, a ~2% failure rate, instead of the 100% failure rate in below-freezing launches. Which do you think is the appropriate method for deciding there's a major problem that needs to be addressed?

Obviously, NASA could have decided to scrub any shuttle launch where the temp was low enough to cause a potential failure, or they could have done what they in fact did do, re-design the gaskets. Nissan faces a similar choice; they can either refuse to sell the cars in areas with prolonged high temps (or only with warnings that much quicker degradation is to be expected, perhaps as much as 15-20% in the first year), or else they can re-design the battery pack. Just saying "all is for the best in the best of all possible worlds" isn't going to cut it.

[Edited to correct Candide quote]

Everyone, I respect your opinions, but you have to admit, that is what they are. The data presented here is anecdotal and interpreted by people that mean well, but they are simply lay interpretations that are biased by personal expectations and conjecture.

If there is an issue, those that are qualified to make that assessment will do so, and will provide the necessary corrective actions.

In the mean time, if you feel that you have a legitimate issue with your LEAF, I suggest that you visit your dealer and have your car examined. If you don't like the diagnosis you receive from that dealer, go to another dealer and have it checked again. If you still don't like the diagnosis, take it to a 3rd dealer and have it checked again.

If you have not had your annual battery check, and the car is due, please have that done as well.

I would also recommend that you revisit the owners documentation that came with your car, including the LEAF customer disclosure form that you were presented with prior to actually purchasing or leasing the car. Those documents will help you calibrate what your expectations should be.

And please, continue to enjoy driving your LEAF.

OrientExpress said:
Everyone, I respect your opinions, but you have to admit, that is what they are. The data presented here is anecdotal and interpreted by people that mean well, but they are simply lay interpretations that are biased by personal expectations and conjecture. ...
I gotta say, you do patronizing well. When your wife calls you to tell you that the toilet has backed up, I suppose you tell her the problem is just "anecdotal" and to call again when a certified plumber has confirmed it. :lol:

When your wife calls you to tell you that the toilet has backed up, I suppose you tell her the problem is just "anecdotal" and to call again when a certified plumber has confirmed it.

No, I am qualified to make the assessment that the toilet is indeed plugged, and and more importantly, I an qualified provide the necessary corrective actions. Plus I am too cheap to call a plumber. :)

OrientExpress said:
Everyone, I respect your opinions, but you have to admit, that is what they are. The data presented here is anecdotal and interpreted by people that mean well, but they are simply lay interpretations that are biased by personal expectations and conjecture.
I don't think presenting your opinion as fact is helping you any here. We have more than enough data to say that there is a problem which Nissan either did not know about or did not disclose. Your statement that there isn't a problem does not make it so. Fortunately, you are not the final arbiter of "fact", although you appear to believe otherwise. It's fine to say you disagree with us or our interpretation of the available data, but beyond that...

shrink said:
Thanks for the input, Gerry. I still have all 12 capacity bars, too, but there's definitely some loss of range. LEAFfan's ScanGuage read 85.7% on my car about a month ago after a 100% charge. I'm sure he'd be willing to take a reading on your car as well if you're interested.

Yes, I would be happy to test your car. I will be surprised if it doesn't show at least a 6% loss. That's the lowest I've tested so far.

edatoakrun said:
drees said:
GerryAZ said:
I have recorded charging energy from shutdown to 100% several times over the past year and have not seen a significant decrease.
This is really the best way to measure capacity - a discharge/range test and a charge test (measure full charge energy). It could be more reliable than the GID as the GID is likely compensated by some unknown factors.

A discharge test would be done over a known loop which is easy to repeat and preferably done down to at least VLBW if not turtle. Before the test, charge to 100%...

A charge test would drain the battery to LBW, VLBW or turtle and then record the amount of energy it takes to charge back up to 100%...

Or just use Carwings Electricity Consumption kWh use report for the same test loop.

More accurate, IMO, as the recharge will probably not be to exactly the same capacity level.

My own capacity test here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9064&p=207152#p207152" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although I am trying to correlate Carwings data with my recorded data into a suitable spreadsheet to post, preliminary indications are that Carwings is very inaccurate for my car. Carwings records the mileage reasonable accurately so it must be getting data from all of my trips, but its recorded energy consumption is much lower than actual. The miles/kWh on the instrument panel, energy display on the touchscreen, and Carwings are also wildly optimistic. Instrument panel typically shows 3.7 to 4.2 and touchscreen typically shows 0.1 higher. Carwings typically says over 5 miles/kWh (sometimes it says over 6). Actual miles/kWh are consistently in the 3.0 range.

I would not mind taking a Gid reading, but I live in far north Phoenix so getting the meter and the car at 100% charge together may be difficult. I will get a LeafSCAN as soon as possible. I may go ahead and order a Gid meter kit from Gary just to get something sooner.

Gerry

GerryAZ, if CARWINGS is inaccurate (under reporting kWh used)... your car has the old telematics firmware. It's really quite awful. The undocumented fix for this undocumented bug is only in TB-11-041 (which is last year's "telematics connection fix").

OrientExpress said:
I would also recommend that you revisit the owners documentation that came with your car, including the LEAF customer disclosure form that you were presented with prior to actually purchasing or leasing the car. Those documents will help you calibrate what your expectations should be.
You're bumming me out OrientExpress. I didn't realize that literature warned me about this situation in advance. So I dug out the documents and looked at both and for the life of me I can't find anything in there that says because I live in Phoenix I should expect a faster gradual battery degredation rate than the rest of the Leaf buying world. I'm sure it is in there but I'm not seeing it. Can you point me to it? ;)

leafkabob said:
You're bumming me out OrientExpress. I didn't realize that literature warned me about this situation in advance. So I dug out the documents and looked at both and for the life of me I can't find anything in there that says because I live in Phoenix I should expect a faster gradual battery degredation rate than the rest of the Leaf buying world. I'm sure it is in there but I'm not seeing it. Can you point me to it? ;)
I think the problem here is that the information was accidentally deleted from the documents that came with the Leafs sold in Phoenix. Of course, it wasn't included in the documents for other areas of the country because it didn't apply there. :lol:

News flash! A highly placed Nissan official has just revealed their detailed plan to me: Nissan is going to stay the course on this one, and eventually the Leafs which have lost a capacity bar (but are undocumented) will self-deport to cooler climates. :D

Stoaty said:
News flash! A highly placed Nissan official has just revealed their detailed plan to me: Nissan is going to stay the course on this one, and eventually the Leafs which have lost a capacity bar (but are undocumented) will self-deport to cooler climates. :D

Is Jan Brewer consulting for Nissan now?!

OrientExpress said:

I see no need to talk down to this forum. If you are familiar with the demographics of LEAF owners then you know that these are by and large successful, well-educated people.

...If there is an issue, those that are qualified to make that assessment will do so, and will provide the necessary corrective actions.

Conjecture. ;)

Your statistical analysis doesn't hold either. The central issue is not restricted to how many owners have lost a bar. That is a threshold. It doesn't show how many owners have lost 14%, 13%, 12%, etc.., and vs. how much calender time, degree-days, charging habits, etc...

That said, it suggest the possibility that the battery degradation curve may be deeper and/or steeper than previously believed. Or, it may not. If you mean to suggest that more information is needed, I agree.

What exactly does the battery degradation curve look like? If Nissan already has this information it would be helpful if they summarized and publicized it. Failing that, I expect that tools like SOC meters and LEAFSCAN will eventually provide real-world data and within a year we will know exactly where this stands.

Stoaty said:
leafkabob said:
I think the problem here is that the information was accidentally deleted from the documents that came with the Leafs sold in Phoenix. Of course, it wasn't included in the documents for other areas of the country because it didn't apply there. :lol:
Page 3 of the Customer Information and Disclosure Form:
"Gradual loss of battery capacity. Like all lithium ion batteries, the 2012 LEAF battery will experience a reduction in the amount of electricity or charge it can hold over time, resulting in a reduction in the vehicle's range. This is normal and expected. The rate of reduction cannot be assured, however, the battery is expected to maintain approximately 80% of its initial capacity after 5 years of normal operation and recommended care, but this is not guaranteed. This number may be higher or lower depending upon usage and care. Factors that will affect and may hasten the rate of capacity loss include, but are not limited to: Sustained high battery temperatures (caused, for example, by exposure to very high ambient temperatures or extending highway driving with multiple quick charges), and Sustained high bettery state of charge (caused, for example, by frequently charging to 100% state of charge and/or leaving the battery above 80% of charge for long periods of time)."

Please excuse me if this is a re-post. Green Car Reports article dated today, June 20; "More Nissan LEAF Battery Loss, Nissan Doesn't Blink"

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1077107_more-nissan-leaf-battery-loss-nissan-doesnt-blink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically, same response:
“Our original statement still applies to the questions you’re asking,” our contact at Nissan reiterated. “If the car is treated as outlined in the owner’s manual, you can expect 80 percent of the battery capacity after 5 years. Variables including driving conditions and habits could make that number higher or lower.”

skippycoyote said:
The rate of reduction cannot be assured, however, the battery is expected to maintain approximately 80% of its initial capacity after 5 years of normal operation and recommended care, but this is not guaranteed. If you live in Phoenix, all bets are off.
You found it! :eek:

OrientExpress said:

From the Nissan LEAF Service Manual:

Li-ion Battery Capacity Level Gauge (1)
VCM receives the Li-ion battery capacity signal from the Li-ion battery controller, and VCM transmits the signal to the combination meter to display the maximum capacity of the Li-ion battery. When the capacity of the Li-ion battery decreases with age and usage, the level of the gauge will also decrease.

Also from the service manual:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Battery,_Charging_System#Battery_Capacity_Behavior" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All those people whose cars have lost a capacity bar must surely be blinded by layman ignorance and personal bias in their interpretation of such simple charts. Perhaps you can tell us what all this means?

Since you continue to insist there is no problem, I encourage you to swap cars for a similarly aged LEAF in Phoenix, preferably one with lower mileage. Everything else being equal, you surely come out ahead.

Then post both cars for sale and let us know which one yields a higher resale value.

skippycoyote said:
Page 3 of the Customer Information and Disclosure Form:
"Gradual loss of battery capacity. Like all lithium ion batteries, the 2012 LEAF battery will experience a reduction in the amount of electricity or charge it can hold over time, resulting in a reduction in the vehicle's range. This is normal and expected. The rate of reduction cannot be assured, however, the battery is expected to maintain approximately 80% of its initial capacity after 5 years of normal operation and recommended care, but this is not guaranteed. This number may be higher or lower depending upon usage and care. Factors that will affect and may hasten the rate of capacity loss include, but are not limited to: Sustained high battery temperatures (caused, for example, by exposure to very high ambient temperatures or extending highway driving with multiple quick charges), and Sustained high bettery state of charge (caused, for example, by frequently charging to 100% state of charge and/or leaving the battery above 80% of charge for long periods of time)."

One thing I expect is that as Nissan learns more about this normal and expected gradual reduction they expand the features in the car to help us keep it in the optimal state. For example I have a end timer set at 80% but if I get home with an empty battery I would like to set the car to automatically and immediately start charging the car to whatever the optimal SOC is (50%?). If I'm charging to 80% preheating/cooling the charger should do a better job of slowing down so it's not charging the batteries. The car should do everything in its power to warn and prevent conditions that are going to accelerate battery loss.

Then we should be given more improved and precise guidance on how to optimize battery life. Instead of all the reading between the lines and speculative strategies that have developed.

Then these warranty/disclosure bits should be completely expanded with real data on how the various factors are going to affect battery life. If hot weather climate states are in fact going to see accelerated capacity loss than this needs to be explained.

Then once Nissan has developed sophisticated models for battery life the car should be recording enough data about usage and environment/etc. such that at your battery report they could grade you as they do but then say. "If your car continues to be operated under the same conditions as the last 12 months your battery capacity in 4 years is expected to be x." Then on your second battery report. Comparing 12-24 months ago to the last 12 months your battery has been exposed to better conditions and will now be expected to be at x+y capacity in 3 years." And the battery report should actually expose the capacity as a number.

Then based on that data and models I would think it should be possible for them to offer the piece of mind of a capacity warranty.
</end of my imagination>

I think Nissan is in a bad spot for technical consumers. Part of their marketing/branding is that the LEAF is a "real" car and they are marketing/designing it for normal drivers. I think this is almost expected of a large brand like Nissan but this is never going to fulfill all the desires of technical consumers who want more. It seems like Tesla is doing a much much better job at designing and marketing to technical consumers.

QueenBee said:
It seems like Tesla is doing a much much better job at designing and marketing to technical consumers.
I'm really impressed with the technical information they regularly post on their blog, and I used the battery care guidelines by Dan Myggen, one of their training developers, to get a better idea of how to care for an EV.

Back