Measuring GIDs (what is available now?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheezmo

I see all these people posting their GID measurements, but the two devices I see mentioned on the forum are still works in progress. Is there anything available now to measure things like this or are you guys working with or borrowing prototypes?

Garygid's kit should be readily available. PM him and see where he's at with them. It is a home-build though, so you gots to have some skillz!

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4929&p=115528&hilit=meter#p115527" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some would consider Garygid's kit a prototype, but to my mind, it is a ready to go product. If you have some soldering skills, you can buildone yourself. All the parts are listed in the above thread, but I found it easier to just buy the home build kit from Gary. There is a fair amount of Gid Meter sharing going on (Mine will be loaned out to a high mileage leaf tomorrow :) so you might be able to find someone near you to borrow one from.

I have parts for SOC-Meter Kits, and I can Build for "custom orders".

In the forum, the "Leaf CANbus" sub-forum (under "Accessories
/ Mods") has several threads on the SOC-Meter and related subjects.

See my web site for more info:
http://www.wwwsite.com/puzzles/socmeter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(There is an email address at the bottom of the page.)

Over the last year, I have delivered about 50 or so,
many with the Logging Option.

My CAN-Do program (for Windows OS) now includes simultaneous
GPS logging, with or without LEAF-CAN bus logging.

Also, I have delivered my multi-channel LEAF Logging System
(LLS), which is most often used in doing LEAF-related research.

The SOC-Meter is being used daily in something like
10 states and at least 3 countries.

Well, if we need anecdotal evidence of how mainstream Gary's Gid Meter has become, mine was stolen yesterday!

I was parked downtown for work and when I came out the driver's side window had been smashed and the Gid Meter stolen.
It was the only thing of value in the car and I had never really thought about removing it every time I parked since I didn't consider it a high asset target...
Nothing else was stolen or touched in the car.

I'm going to have the window replaced today but the loss of the Gid Meter is far more annoying to me!

TomT said:
Well, if we need anecdotal evidence of how mainstream Gary's Gid Meter has become, mine was stolen yesterday!

I was parked downtown for work and when I came out the driver's side window had been smashed and the Gid Meter stolen.
It was the only thing of value in the car and I had never really thought about removing it every time I parked since I didn't consider it a high asset target...

I'm going to have the window replaced today but the loss of the Gid Meter is far more annoying to me!
That's harsh! I wonder what they thought it was.

I have no idea. It seems unlikely that it could have been mistaken for much of anything else. At least they removed it carefully and did not break anything other than the window in the process...

TickTock said:
That's harsh! I wonder what they thought it was.

TomT said:

WTH? I would have never thought such a thing would be a target for theft either.

TomT said:
Sorry to hear that, I will be really upset. That is one great tool, and for purchasing used Leaf most important tool

Think I might have to camouflage mine as a tissue box when the car is parked!

Car_Tissue_Box.jpg

dscf3098.jpg

mwalsh said:
Think I might have to camouflage mine as a tissue box when the car is parked!

Nice! I just read Tom's comment about the break-in, that's really hard to believe. That said, I've been driving my Leaf while the ActiveE was in the shop, and this gave me enough time to tinker with the charging time display and with Gary's meter.

Since my car now appears to be exhibiting some degradation as well, whether permanent or temporary, I had an opportunity to test a theory Dave and I discussed in an older thread. It appears that the charging time display could be used reliably as a proxy for those that don't have access to a meter yet. I might start a separate thread on that, since it requires validation and input from other owners, but here is a quick gist of it:

Code:
1) Each hour on the charging time display corresponds to about 11 Gids. This is apparently a fixed and constant value, which does not change. 

2) The LB and VLB are fixed, and will likely not change on cars that have diminished battery performance. At least we have not seen that yet. On a new car we expect LB, VLB and turtle to correlate to a certain number of hours on the charging time display: 21, 23 and 25 hours respectively when charging to full, and 17, 19 and 21 hours when charging to 80%. 

3) If a difference is seen relative to these baseline figures, this would indicate diminished battery performance.
For example, I have seen the low battery warning pretty consistently at 19 instead of 21 hours now, and the very low battery warning at 21 or 22 instead of 23 hours. This would indicate a decline in battery capacity between 4 to 8%, which I confirmed through a full range test this past Sunday (my Gid meter is on loan presently).

There are some downsides to this approach:

1) The charging time display has only limited granularity, and it will allow you to assess battery capacity in 10 or 11 Gid chunks. This roughly corresponds to about 4% of total usable capacity. If there is a delta in battery performance that's below this figure, it will be difficult to detect that.

2) Whenever you plug into a regular 120V outlet, the board computer will attempt to calculate and reset the 120V charging time. More often than not this fails and the scale of the display will shift sideways, which will render it inaccurate. There is a remedy for this, but it requires you to top off to 80% or a full charge through the trickle charger. That's perhaps a price worth paying, but it's hardly convenient.

3) This method would require you to take the car down to the low or perhaps even the very low battery warning. Again, this is inconvenient, but slightly better than a full range test. You can use the car like before, and you would not have to deviate from your usage pattern. All that's required is to hit LB or VLB and to reset the display by toping off to 80 or 100% on 120V prior to the test (please don't precondition when doing this).

ecoobsessive said:
Do we have a general estimate of when the LeafScan will be available?

And don't leave that LeafScan in the window (or anywhere easily seen).
I was the victim of a "smash and grab" when my Leaf was new for an iPhone; I learned my lesson.
Anyone desperate/stupid enough to vandalize a car doesn't know/care if it's a GPS/phone/etc.: all they see is something to pawn.
For the record, replacing the window is far more costly (and upsetting) than whatever portable device they steal (unless it's lined with gold).

tbleakne said:
I was thinking we could watch to see if your Gid meter turns up on Ebay, but then I realized - how is the thief going to know to call it a Gid-meter ? No label, no logo.

Sorry to hear this.

I'm thinking it would probably appear something like this:

"Black box from Nissan LEAF. Plugs into OBD-II port. Don't know what it does. Dont know if it works, but powers up when I plug it into my (insert random make/model of car)."

Actually not. My insurance company sent a truck out this morning and they had the glass replaced in a hour with no charge to me. They used OEM Nissan glass.

It is going to take me much longer and cost more to replace the Gid Meter...

Stanton said:
For the record, replacing the window is far more costly (and upsetting) than whatever portable device they steal (unless it's lined with gold).

Are you unable to recover the cost of the stolen Built
GID-Meter from your insurance company?

I have some "pull" with the GID-Meter maker, and I suspect
that I could get them to send a Kit out ASAP, or
have one Built fairly quickly.

Back