Offcial Honda Fit EV Thread (lease only)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boomer23 said:
• Lease is $389/mo, plus tax, no consumer capital payment required, first payment due on lease, 36 month, 12,000 mile per year lease with no purchase option.
EDIT: Honda may be providing free collision insurance with this lease. Honda's literature was unclear. I have a question in to Honda to confirm this. If true, it makes the lease much more of a bargain.
Since these are lease only vehicles why are they putting a mileage limit on them? I would think they would want people to put as much mileage on them as possible for the feedback it would provide just like they did for the EV Plus leases in the late 90s.

Update: Honda confirmed no charge maintenance and collision coverage is part of the lease. They provided fine print below.

As to why Honda chose to limit mileage on the lease, anyone's guess is as good as mine. It is interesting, since mileage is limited on traditional leases because the car is worth less to a resale buyer, and hence to the receiving dealer. But if the Fit EV is not going to be re-sold, why does it matter to Honda?

Anyway, here's the deets on the lease:

Subject to limited availability through October 2014 in designated market regions on approved credit through
American Honda Finance Corp. Closed end lease for 2013 Honda Fit EV for well-qualified lessees meeting specific
use and operation requirements. Not all applicants will qualify. No purchase option at lease end. MSRP $37,415
(includes destination). Excludes tax, title, license, registration, options and insurance. Zero capitalized cost
reduction due from Lessee; electric vehicle federal tax credit applied as capitalized cost reduction. Lessee
responsible for tax on capitalized cost reduction where applicable. Total monthly payments $14,004.00. Lessee
responsible for non-routine maintenance, excessive wear/tear and up to $0.20/mi. over 12,000 mi./yr. Lease
includes collision coverage, routine maintenance, roadside assistance and navigation system updates. Please see
your authorized Fit EV dealer for complete details.

I notice that Honda chose 15" wheels (185/65/15) which are the Minus-One fitment to the LEAF tire size (205/55/16), yet the cars are basically the same weight. I have to imagine that the choice of wheels makes a noticeable difference in efficiency. The wrap-around spoiler on the rear helps, too. I'm still surprised that no-one appears to have stepped up and made some effort to reduce drag further on the LEAF to improve highway range, but the complex shape of the rear of the LEAF doesn't make it that easy.

2013 Honda Fit EV [w/video] - AutoblogGreen

When my wife and I were at the auto show a year or two ago and saw both LEAF and FIT EV prototypes we were hoping to compare each for purchase but alas, the Fit took much longer to come out than the LEAF and we ended up not being able to compare the LEAF to anything (obviously). With that being said the Fit EV looks like it would have won my money had it had been available at the time of purchase, and been able to be purchased - which it is not.

The video that shows the iPhone app is EVERYTHING I want the LEAF app to be. The major improvements I have been wanting for the LEAF app that the Fit app have:
-Set/change charging schedules
-Inside cabin temperature (although I'd like to see outside temperature as well)
-SOC %

NISSAN - Give us software updates (both to the app and to the car itself) with new useful, cool and innovative features to show us you care about our ongoing happiness with the car!!!

drees said:
I notice that Honda chose 15" wheels (185/65/15) which are the Minus-One fitment to the LEAF tire size
I remember when I was a kid our 1972 Pontiac station wagon had 15" wheels... as I recall it was over 6000 lbs.

Great write-up, Phil. I'll be sure to let my Honda contact know that at least one LEAF owner really liked the car. Maybe I'll get that call in the coming weeks to start the lease process, too.

First, I love the HFEV. I think it's extremely serious competition to the Leaf and FFE. I wish it was available now, but if we get a Leaf we'll lease so hopefully the HFEV will be nationwide in 3.5 years.
Spies said:
Boomer23 said:
• Lease is $389/mo, plus tax, no consumer capital payment required, first payment due on lease, 36 month, 12,000 mile per year lease with no purchase option.
EDIT: Honda may be providing free collision insurance with this lease. Honda's literature was unclear. I have a question in to Honda to confirm this. If true, it makes the lease much more of a bargain.
Since these are lease only vehicles why are they putting a mileage limit on them? I would think they would want people to put as much mileage on them as possible for the feedback it would provide just like they did for the EV Plus leases in the late 90s.
I thought the same thing. But, I think going unlimited - like BMW - might be a mistake if you lease it to someone who drives or shares the car so often that their mileage is off the charts. The data created is worthless because so few other people are similar.

Whatever, I really like the HFEV, thanks for the review.

sparky said:
Great write-up Phil.
I can't believe I had to miss this Pasadena test-drive opportunity ( I was in CDR hell all week).
I hope I can snag a Fit test drive in the near future. I'm glad Honda decided to activate performance options in the Fit design. Performance - both handling and accel, can be such a strong point for EVs, I hope the future econo-EVs use it as a selling point. It's what I'll require in my next EV.

Thanks, Sparky. Your comment about wanting to get a test drive some time reminded me of something I neglected to mention in my review. Honda plans to put demo Fit EVs at their few selected EV dealers for test drives. Honda also has plans with ZipCar to include 30 Fit EVs as the first plug in car in the ZipCar fleet. So you'll have two ways to get behind the wheel of one of these zippy little cars.

Incidentally, I was told that these demo cars and ZipCar cars will be included in the 1,100 total Fit EVs designated for the US, so there will be a few fewer than one might have thought.

Collision insurance is usually fairly cheap (it costs me about $165 a year on my Leaf). It is the other coverages that are expensive... Also, only 12,000 miles a year would be a deal breaker for me...

Boomer23 said:
Update: Honda confirmed no charge maintenance and collision coverage is part of the lease. They provided fine print below.

TomT said:
Collision insurance is usually fairly cheap (it costs me about $165 a year on my Leaf). It is the other coverages that are expensive... Also, only 12,000 miles a year would be a deal breaker for me...

Boomer23 said:

That is a good question, though, Tom. If Honda provides collision, how easy and cheap is it to get a separate policy for everything else?

Thank you for the detailed review Phil, I believe that it's head and shoulders above anything else I have seen on the topic. I put a tracker on this thread, and was amazed by the amount of traffic it attracted. There were folks from GM on here as well. They must have followed Scott's thread on the Volt forum, I never saw them on MNL before. Thanks again, let's hope that BMW will let you review the i3 ;-)

surfingslovak said:
Thank you for the detailed review Phil, I believe that it's head and shoulders above anything else I have seen on the topic. I put a tracker on this thread, and was amazing by the amount of traffic it attracted. There were folks from GM on here as well. They must have followed Scott's thread on the Volt forum, I never saw them on MNL before. Thanks again, let's hope that BMW will let you review the i3 ;-)

Thanks, George, much appreciated. I enjoyed the press preview and the writing process very much.

Honda offers free insurance to electric Fit buyers
Honda's insurance option for electric Fit buyers could save a single man living in a Southland suburb as much as $600 a year. But only 1,100 of the cars will be available for lease beginning next month.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-autos-honda-fit-20120629,0,2557048.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By Jerry Hirsch, Los Angeles Times
June 28, 2012, 9:00 p.m.
Honda Motor Co.'s new electric vehicle comes with an unusual option: collision insurance without any deductible.

It's the latest enticement to move electric cars off showrooms and narrow the cost gap with less expensive gasoline-powered vehicles.
<snip>

Boomer23 said:
surfingslovak said:
Thank you for the detailed review Phil, I believe that it's head and shoulders above anything else I have seen on the topic. I put a tracker on this thread, and was amazing by the amount of traffic it attracted. There were folks from GM on here as well. They must have followed Scott's thread on the Volt forum, I never saw them on MNL before. Thanks again, let's hope that BMW will let you review the i3 ;-)

Thanks, George, much appreciated. I enjoyed the press preview and the writing process very much.
Let me add my thanks as well. I too have been waiting for an affordable BEV with more sporty driving characteristics. Not having an HFE to look at/drive, I walked over to my local Honda dealer to look at a regular Fit. I have to say, if Honda had left well enough alone with the HVAC controls on the HFE and had been able to fit everything in without change, the HFE would be at the top of my list for general design and features, taking over the spot of the 'i' (which gets dinged by me primarily for its much too-short range). Unfortunately, Honda felt it necessary to go with ACC and electronic controls instead of the simple, manual three-dial HVAC controls in the gas Fit that I prefer; someone needs to come up with simple HVAC controls workable by feel that still allow remote climate control.

It's got the 'B' mode I insist on, and lots of greenhouse area for good 360 degree vis (although I didn't drive the car, so can't say if some blind spots might have become apparent). Although Japanese cars have been getting better as their population has gotten taller, I was still short on leg room in the driver's seat (I'm 6' tall but have a 34" inseam, so more leg than torso length). I didn't notice it, but there was probably insufficient thigh support owing to a too short seat cushion as well; this has been the case in almost every Japanese car I've driven subsequent to my '69 Datsun roadster, where you sat on the floor with your feet stretched out straight in front of you.

Back seat knee room was fine with the front seats all the way back, toe room height too, although I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time back there as my knees were up high owing to the position of my feet. I think the car would definitely be too narrow to comfortably handle three across if any was an adult, not that that's a concern of mine. Head room was ample front and rear.

It also appears from your photos that the rear seat was raised compared to the gas version. In that, with the rear seats folded down you have a flat load floor (there's a slight discontinuity at the junction), instead of what appears to be a slope in the HFE. And I was hoping that Honda would also manage to leave room for the temp spare that the gas Fit has - I'm assuming that there are batteries under the foam organizer holding the EVSE in the HFE? The gas Fit lacks that organizer but has the spare, which I definitely want.

Finally, although I realize this is irrelevant for the vast majority of buyers, I couldn't stretch out and sleep lying straight with the rear seats down, something I want to be able to do in any car I buy. Although the Fit is about 15" shorter than my Forester there appears to be ample length to do this with the front seats slid forward and the seat backs folded ditto, the problem is the relative narrowness of the car plus the lack of a center console armrest, and the provision of a folding armrest on the inboard side of the driver's seat in its place. In my Forester, my head fits between the front seats and rests on the top of the center console, so I can stretch out; in the Fit the armrest and inboard sides of the seats prevent this. It was possible for me to sleep in the back by lying diagonally, but I don't want to do that again (had to in my '88 Subaru Wagon). The Leaf allows straight sleeping; the top of the cargo organizer provides a level floor right to the back hatch.

All in all, between your write-up and my perusal of the gas Fit, I think the HFE is a very serious contender in the affordable BEV market, even if it doesn't suit my needs (the RAV4EV comes closest at the moment, but is at least $10k too expensive). IMO the car that it will really have a negative impact on is the Coda, which already has pretty anemic sales prospects. The range is close to the 31kWh version of the Coda, and I suspect the HFE beats it in virtually every other category of driving and utility other than 5-passenger room, while being from an established manufacturer. Coda really needs to get the 36kWh battery out soon, as superior range @ price is their primary selling point.

Given the Leaf battery's problems with high temps, I think Honda may be right to limit the HFE's to lease-only at the moment, given the unknowns of LTO chemistry in large-scale use. Added: BTW, any details on the battery warranty?

Since it's only going to be available in limited markets, and few will be made, it is definitely right now a compliance car like the FFEV. There's a website that lists all the compliance cars vs. non-compliance ones, but I can't remember where it was. These two were on the compliance list.

GRA said:
It also appears from your photos that the rear seat was raised compared to the gas version. In that, with the rear seats folded down you have a flat load floor (there's a slight discontinuity at the junction), instead of what appears to be a slope in the HFE. And I was hoping that Honda would also manage to leave room for the temp spare that the gas Fit has - I'm assuming that there are batteries under the foam organizer holding the EVSE in the HFE? The gas Fit lacks that organizer but has the spare, which I definitely want.

Given the Leaf battery's problems with high temps, I think Honda may be right to limit the HFE's to lease-only at the moment, given the unknowns of LTO chemistry in large-scale use. Added: BTW, any details on the battery warranty?

Thanks, I'm glad the the level of detail proved useful for some readers.

Honda says that the rear seat was moved up and backward to accommodate the shape of the battery box. This provides for the very good rear leg room as compared with the LEAF, but I imagine that it compromised rear luggage capacity. This move apparently also required the removal of the ICE Fit's much loved fully folding rear seats that allow tall items to be carried in the rear seat area.

There was no mention of a warranty on the batteries, but since this is a closed end lease, I doubt that it will be an issue for many, though it might if capacity loss is drastic.

Also, after some thought, I realized that the Fit EV has no display of battery capacity at all! At least Nissan was willing to install a capacity gauge so that owners could tell what was happening. Without that gauge, we'd still be talking about Gids and whether they mean anything.

Back