GE WattStation Problem Thread (Was: Dead on Day 2 of use.)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jms,

How is the GE charger connected to the AC? Is it hardwired in, or is there a plug into a 240v socket? If the latter, you can use that w/ the evseupgrade mentioned above. If your connection is of the former type, then when you remove the GE charger, you can install a 240 (for dryer type) socket at the end of the wire that was connected to the GE charger. So you can run your dryer at the same time if you want to.

BTW, if you are willing to upgrade your existing L1 charger, it costs less than the above amount I think. Of course during that time of upgrade you will be without any charger.

Well, based on all of the posts I read I cancelled my order with Lowe's for the GE WattStation and shipped my Nissan-supplied unit off to evseupgrade today.

Just need to get the electrician out to install a new outlet with, maybe, a shut-off switch and a meter of some sort.

Oh! And wait for the unit to come back with its new innards!

I wasn't even paying attention to this thread anymore. Since the warranty repair I have 8000 miles on the wattstation without incident. Of course now I am unable to charge probably the diode. Sounds like warranty repair.

Solangelist said:
How is the GE charger connected to the AC? Is it hardwired in, or is there a plug into a 240v socket?
it is plugged in and I know about evse upgrade. I'm still considering that. But since the GE was replaced under warranty I will continue to use it.

bowthom said:
Hello,
Just wanted to chime in here. Mine was the first Leaf to suffer a diode failure of the charger in April 2011. If you look at the circuit diagram there is no way that the GE Wattstation can over power the diode. It is protected by circuits / components which limit current and voltage. About the only thing that could get in there would be a high voltage negative spike on the ground from a lightning strike (cause of the #2 failure in Tennessee). They tried to blame my TIG welder but the car was 30 miles away when it failed.

The only other possibility would be a static discharge not shunted because the ground pin on the J1772 connector is recessed and not connecting first.

I suppose if the contactor is putting out a sizable negative spike when disconnecting, that could have an effect if the circuits are not sufficiently isolated. But if that were true it would not have passed the UL tests.

Just my .02

Nissan replaced the charger under warranty.

I'm wondering if I am understanding this correctly.

First, the diode failed when the car was "30 miles away," which I am interpreting as being at a different EVSE than the GE Wattstation. I don't understand how it can be determined if the diode failed at the beginning of the charge at that EVSE or at the end of the charge from the GE unit.

But if a different EVSE caused the diode to fail, that would indicate that it is more likely a problem with Nissan than GE.

Also, as smkettner asked previously, it would be interesting to hear if bowthom has continued to use the Wattstation without problems.

sub3marathonman said:
But if a different EVSE caused the diode to fail, that would indicate that it is more likely a problem with Nissan than GE.

I've seen cases on here about the diode failing and it not having anything to do with a wattstation. for example http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8653" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My concern is this: If the AeroVironment evse and the 110 evse provided by Nissan do not do the diode check, then how would you know that yours had failed? It is possible that the diode has a high rate of failure but since AeroVironment and Nissan are ignoring that part of J1772 standard it goes undetected?

jms said:
My concern is this: If the AeroVironment evse and the 110 evse provided by Nissan do not do the diode check, then how would you know that yours had failed? It is possible that the diode has a high rate of failure but since AeroVironment and Nissan are ignoring that part of J1772 standard it goes undetected?
Quite possible, although since almost all of the public EVSEs I'm aware of DO the diode check, I'd think most owners would find out sooner or later. Also, the recent failures tied to the Wattstation have also failed to charge on the AV and the supplied L1 units.

I know they asked for the model number and serial number of my level 2 evse. So I guess they are tracking these failures. I don't know how many failures we are actually dealing with. When I search the forum here I see a few but only about half were using or had used the wattstation. So I don't want to blame GE if it isn't their fault but I don't want them to skate if it is.

Also I don't know how many drivers are using public charging stations. In Western PA I know of 3 that are not Nissan dealerships. That's for all of southwestern PA.

Well, day 1 of my newly installed GE WattStation is going well. Wiring and installation took a couple of hours for the electricians. Charging is going on now and seems to be progressing rapidly. More to follow.

yeswaydude said:
Well, based on all of the posts I read I cancelled my order with Lowe's for the GE WattStation and shipped my Nissan-supplied unit off to evseupgrade today.

I got the newly-upgraded unit back and the electrician installed the new L6-20 receptacle yesterday. I checked the iPhone app, and it said it would take 13 hours to charge on trickle and only 5 hours on normal. I plugged it in, checked the app again about 4 1/2 hours later, and it was done!

Totally awesome! :)

Now I just need to get Lowe's to refund my money! :-(

lonndoggie said:
Stone Brewery in Escondido has a commercial GE Wattstation. Haven't used it--yet. Wondering if I should.
The commercial unit appears to be completely different than the residential units. The Stone EVSE does hum very loudly when used, though. I know that many have used it without issue so far - I've only used it briefly as I didn't need the charge at the time.

drees said:
lonndoggie said:
Stone Brewery in Escondido has a commercial GE Wattstation. Haven't used it--yet. Wondering if I should.
The commercial unit appears to be completely different than the residential units. The Stone EVSE does hum very loudly when used, though. I know that many have used it without issue so far - I've only used it briefly as I didn't need the charge at the time.
Thanks for that input. I tweeted them the question, they said they haven't received any complaints (and Koch drives a Volt, which doesn't seem to exhibit any problems).

Chalk up another Leaf/Wattstation victim. On the second charging of my Leaf on the very first day I had it, the circuit breaker tripped when I plugged in the GE Wattstation J1772 'ray-gun' plug into the vehicle. I removed the plug and reset the breaker, but the Wattstation would not come back on. I tried the EVSE unit supplied by Nissan and it would not charge the vehicle. When I checked the vehicle, there was a yellow warning light that said to take the vehicle to the Nissan dealer for service. I drove the car to the dealership and they wound up replacing the charging unit in the vehicle (took over 2 weeks to get the car back.) I had my electrician look at the GE Wattstation and he found two 40 amp fuses blown in the GE unit. After that, the GE unit came back on and acted normally. On advice of the Nissan National Post Sales group, I have not tried to use the GE Wattstation again, but only have been using the Nissan supplied 120V EVSE unit to charge the car. And, just this weekend, I saw an article in the New York Times, indicating that there is a "discussion" going on between Nissan and GE about the use of the GE Wattstation. Here is that link: http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/13/problems-with-g-e-s-wattstation-charger-for-some-nissan-leafs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back