My 2011 Leaf has shut off while driving twice! Anyone else?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
planet4ever said:
I'm astonished that you guys aren't aware of this mode. It's completely normal, and is called the ACC position. To get there when the car is powered down, just press the power button once with your foot off the brake.
Yep, that's it. Thanks! No, somehow I didn't know about this mode. I only knew about double-pressing with the foot off the brake.
planet4ever said:
ACC lets you use the audio system while consuming far less electricity than the ON or READY states. Several times I have gotten there accidentally by double-touching the power button when shutting down. (It doesn't seem to have any anti-jitter logic.)
That sounds more like how I got into this mode.

So then I guess the question becomes "Can you get into this mode by double-pressing the button while driving?"

Also, if the car somehow switched from ON/READY to ACC, I'd expect that the Nav screen would show the splash screen and the radio would be interrupted. AFAIK, the OP reported that the Nav screen and radio were not affected at all.

I guess that a photo showing the Nav screen on and the dash off would not prove anything.

DoxyLover said:
Also, if the car somehow switched from ON/READY to ACC, I'd expect that the Nav screen would show the splash screen and the radio would be interrupted. AFAIK, the OP reported that the Nav screen and radio were not affected at all.

I guess that a photo showing the Nav screen on and the dash off would not prove anything.

I got the car back yesterday and so far, it is driving well. Since it has happened twice in 2-3 weeks time frame, I don't expect it to happen right away. I will be glad if it doesn't happen again. The dealer did update the software to the latest version which had updates like calculating the range. Not sure it anything will effect the issue at hand.

Taking a photo or video if and when it happens is just getting as much information as possible. When you spend 40K on a car, you aren't likely to make stories up I would think. There shouldn't be any operator error involved if you are driving 10-20 mph and the car shuts down on you.

Bob

NYLEAF said:
I couldn't see what buttons I was pressing. I apparently pressed something that affected the brightness of the Dashboard, because it made everything go completely dark, and it really felt like the car had died on me. If my memory serves me correctly, I couldn't even see my speed, battery bars, anything.
I have done this to myself, also. I just went and tried it again. Some of the "icons" remain lit, but all the gauges and numbers turn off. The button in question is at the lower right of the four, and it is only for adjusting the brightness of the dashboard lights. If this ever happens again, simply press the same button again, and it will cycle back to the dimmest setting, at which point you can see the gauges again, and if you like, press the button repeatedly until you get the brightness you want.

I would think Nissan would hookup some logging instrumentation to the suspect car and log what is happening. One of these 'black boxes' may have escaped at one time ... see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5835 Of course the messaging will stop with loss of power but if the logging device has some additional power reserve then what information is available would be captured.

I have had the NAV central panel reboot while driving but it wasn't an issue since it was in split map mode at the time. If it is a loose connection, a bump or jolt to the system may be initiating the event since one of the shutdowns was entering a parking lot and there may have been a change in pavement height that contributed to the shutdown. Maybe some speed bumps at different speeds would 'trigger' the event?

hey all,

well, I have a story with similar aspects. It's almost 2 weeks now since I've had my LEaf in my possession, its currently resting at the dealer. And why, the A/c ( climate control) system won't engage. Upon attempting to engage, either by pressing auto, manual or via the carwings app, hot air just blows. This has now been 3 incidents, upon the second, I brought it to the dealer and sure enough it started working. So, my thought is this must be a software glitch of sorts. The last incident as it was blowing hot air, I drove directly to the dealer to ensure they experienced this in real time. The service adviser and tech confirmed something is not right. Upon the advice from Nissan techline, they were instructed to attempt to replicate the issues to extract an error code, all attempts have failed; go figure. I've place this info on the Nissan's facebook page and got some traction from consumer affairs and they now have eyes on this case, but still no resolution. I receive almost daily calls from Nissan consumer affairs and feel we have a bond now, I really couldn't care for that. I just want this issue resolved and would like to move on preferably with the car not sitting at the dealer waiting for some stupid magic to occur. I work in the IT industry so I'd like to believe that some sort of tech level of competency is been taken into action, not just monkeys mashing button and looking at stupid plug in devices. From my tone in this blog, my frustration is high and confidence is low.

I reside in Las Vegas and I understand heat might be a contributing factor, but seriously..do we have another Phoenix issues happening here?

any advice is truly appreciated.

I would not like to tag EV=fail, that would just be sad. also, I did have a system shutdown ( car turned off), i just left that as a fluke for now.

take care all

~mike

kukoo1138 said:
hey all,

well, I have a story with similar aspects. It's almost 2 weeks now since I've had my LEaf in my possession, its currently resting at the dealer. And why, the A/c ( climate control) system won't engage. Upon attempting to engage, either by pressing auto, manual or via the carwings app, hot air just blows. This has now been 3 incidents, upon the second, I brought it to the dealer and sure enough it started working. So, my thought is this must be a software glitch of sorts. The last incident as it was blowing hot air, I drove directly to the dealer to ensure they experienced this in real time. The service adviser and tech confirmed something is not right. Upon the advice from Nissan techline, they were instructed to attempt to replicate the issues to extract an error code, all attempts have failed; go figure. I've place this info on the Nissan's facebook page and got some traction from consumer affairs and they now have eyes on this case, but still no resolution. I receive almost daily calls from Nissan consumer affairs and feel we have a bond now, I really couldn't care for that. I just want this issue resolved and would like to move on preferably with the car not sitting at the dealer waiting for some stupid magic to occur. I work in the IT industry so I'd like to believe that some sort of tech level of competency is been taken into action, not just monkeys mashing button and looking at stupid plug in devices. From my tone in this blog, my frustration is high and confidence is low.

I reside in Las Vegas and I understand heat might be a contributing factor, but seriously..do we have another Phoenix issues happening here?

any advice is truly appreciated.

I would not like to tag EV=fail, that would just be sad. also, I did have a system shutdown ( car turned off), i just left that as a fluke for now.

take care all

~mike

I would be equally as frustrated if it were happening to me. However, like most other users on here, I have not had any quality issues with my Leaf. There is always going to be some level of defect in any production run, particularly for a newer technology/new model. I'm sure that's no consolation to the few people that experience them! but it's certainly no reason to suggest EV=fail in general. I sincerely hope they find and fix these issues with both of your cars (or give you different Leafs!)

I'd take it back to the dealer and demand another LEAF loaner while they test and fix that. I've never heard of this so it must be very rare.

Let us know the outcome !

hi all,

well as expected ( not to be negative) the LEaf was returned to me with no fix from Nissan, however all functions are working as expected. Meaning, the a/c is operating fine. the dealer washed their hands of this case and Nissan consumer affairs has noted all this in a case file and instructed me to bring it back to another dealer if this occurs again.

I really have nothing else to say...

As a long-time computer technician, I can tell you that intermittent problems, where you don't get any relevant information from the diagnostic tools you have to hand, are virtually impossible to solve without the problem occurring while you have the malfunctioning equipment in your possession.

Probably not what you want to hear right now, and for sure you have my sympathies, but it is the truth.

oh I fully understand, I work in the IT industry and very much privy to trouble-shooting scenarios. I did actaully bring the LEAF in as the issue was occurring. at this point, I'm just hoping that nothing else happens.

For less than about $100 one can get a DVR for the car, which is normally used to
monitor and record traffic conditions, usually in front of the car.

However, one could mount and position it to record the driver's actions and dashboard,
setting it to record in a "loop" to always have the last 5 or 10 minutes of driving.

Then, for these "strange" problems, one would have some evidence to examine.

When we get the "Black box" CAN recorder for the LEAF working, it would have
detailed logs from at least the EV and CAR CAN buses.

However, I doubt that anybody is prepared to examine these Logs in sufficient detail.

kukoo1138 said:
... the dealer washed their hands of this case and Nissan consumer affairs has noted all this in a case file and instructed me to bring it back to another dealer if this occurs again.

I really have nothing else to say...
Nissan told you to take to a different dealer next time? I'm not sure what that says about the first dealer, but it can't be anything good.

yep, he didn't say it outright, but eluded to it in such a way that confidence wasn't there regarding that dealership.

Mine died on the road when I was testing my prototype SOC, In my case I blame my prototype!

The ONE VERY BAD THING I FOUND IS IF YOU CAN NOT TURN ON THE CAR YOU CAN NOT RELEASE THE PARKING BRAKE!

After 5 minutes or so it healed itself and I continued to work. It has ran flawlessly sense then with my finished SOC connected.

GlennD said:
The ONE VERY BAD THING I FOUND IS IF YOU CAN NOT TURN ON THE CAR YOU CAN NOT RELEASE THE PARKING BRAKE!
YOU DO KNOW ABOUT THE MECHANICAL PARKING BRAKE RELEASE MECHANISM, RIGHT?

Whoa, how did I come to have my caps-lock on? :D

Look in the Owner's Manual, "In case of emergency" (Ch 6 in mine), "Parking brake mechanical release" (page 6-16 in mine).

Hello!

Ihave searched the web and finally found somebody with the same problem as my Leaf has. My car stoppes when I am driving, ti doesnt mather if I drive fast or slow, in hot, or rain. It just happen. Now It has gone three days since the last time, but to night it happened two times ina row. And because it is an US-11 imported car ( i am in Norway), my NISSAN SERVICE-station dont know how they can solve it.

Here I have taken a picture of what happens when it stoppes. The radio, the light etc is still working:

http://bildr.no/view/ZE90MTVF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best Regard Sissel from Norway

Back