San Diego - Current List of Public Charging Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We revisited the Encinitas Blinks today. A sign has been added with an AB475-style message, but no code citation. So, "advisory only", I presume. The Blink had its screen working, and a QR-code sticker was added that takes you to the Blink website, so you can activate your card.
E_St_3.jpg
On the other side...they turned the Blink 90 degrees :?: :?: We cannot fathom what that accomplishes, though it may put that 4th parking space in the civilian section out of reach.
E_St_4.jpg

gbarry42 said:
On the other side...they turned the Blink 90 degrees :?: :?: We cannot fathom what that accomplishes, though it may put that 4th parking space in the civilian section out of reach.
It almost completely blocks the sidewalk and it's not the shorter "accessible" version. So much for being ADA friendly.

I just wanted to post that I went to the Walgreens at Midway and Rosecrans and found the charging station was up and running! I talked to the manager to give him feedback to reward him for putting in the charger. I told him that was the reason I was shopping there. Probably a good thing for all of us to do!

The unit also posts the number of watts you are drawing to four significant digits and the number of kWh you used. Much better than the Blinks! I took that opportunity to do a before and after turning on the climate control, looking at the number of watts. I found no difference at all. This must imply that when you turn on the climate control, less current is going to the battery.

gmuzhik said:
The unit also posts the number of watts you are drawing to four significant digits and the number of kWh you used. Much better than the Blinks!
Thanks gmuzhik, I did not know that. We used that EVSE the other day.

Photos from the July 13 Ribbon Cutting Ceremony at the new Encinitas charging stations...There are two stations, one on each side of the parking lot...

Encinitas1.jpg

Encinitas2.jpg

Encinitas3.jpg

Paradise Point (or the old "Vacation Village" site if you're a San Diego native)...1404 Vacation Road, between Sea World and Pacific Beach off Ingraham St. There are 6 units here in the parking lot, near the lobby / gift shop. One ADA landlocked unit and five general purpose units spread over six parking places, open to the public with no parking fees. Car2Go has a presence here, so this will make a nice service for hotel guests...They also sport the new "EV" green paint in the parking spaces...

Paradise%20Point%201.jpg

Paradise%20Point%202.jpg

Paradise%20Point%203.jpg

Walgreens - Midway & Rosecrans at 3005 Midway Drive. There is one Semaconnect ChargePro unit here on the south side of the parking lot, and it is currently free...

Walgreens%20Midway%201.jpg

Walgreens%20Midway%202.jpg

Walgreens%20Midway%203.jpg

thanks Randy.. love your weekend updates.

The green EV signage in the parking spots is nice..but, you still need a disabled placard to park in that one spot even though it has EV signage also, right?

I believe that is correct, you still need a handicapped license plate or rear-view mirror placard to park there...

davewill said:
gbarry42 said:
It almost completely blocks the sidewalk and it's not the shorter "accessible" version. So much for being ADA friendly.

I asked Andy about the orientation of the unit. The reason why the EVSE is "sideways" is to satisfy the ADA requirements for a person in a wheelchair to be able to roll up to the unit and use it. Not sure why they didn't use the shorter form factor unit, but I can find out....

Mossy Nissan, 1170 W. Main St, El Cajon

The Mossy dealership in El Cajon has a few Aerovironment charging stations, and in particular, the two free units pictured around the corner on Magnolia from the main store driveway. These units are available 7/24 and are near the service department. There are additional units available on the lot when the dealership is open. If you're out in East County and looking for a charge, don't overlook the Nissan dealership....

Mossy%20El%20Cajon%201.jpg

Mossy%20El%20Cajon%202.jpg

Mossy%20El%20Cajon%203.jpg

Went by the Vons in La Mesa today and all four Blink units were in and the wiring was being finished. The contractor stated that the only thing left was for SDGE to run their cable to the panel.

Does anyone know if Mira Costa College is planning charging stations? I would like to take classes there but round trip from Point Loma might be out of range.

gmuzhik said:
Does anyone know if Mira Costa College is planning charging stations? I would like to take classes there but round trip from Point Loma might be out of range.
Yeah, 80 miles round trip is pushing it to the limit with most of it on the freeway. Mossy Nissan Oceanside is less than a mile from Mira Costa, but I suspect that they wouldn't take well to you using it too regularly, but they do have good reviews on PlugShare.

If you avoid the highway you can get up to 5 mi/kWh which should make the trip possible if your battery is in good health, but will add 30+ minutes each way. You'd be better off stopping somewhere for an hour of L2 and going as slow as possible on the freeway... Of course, L2 at the College would be ideal!

Thanks Randy for checking. Hopefully, they will follow the leads of SDSU and Mesa College.

drees: Good point about using the Nissan dealer at Oceanside. Might be OK occasionally but not for a regular class schedule. I wonder if I could plug in L1 somewhere at the college. I would have to get permission from someone, though. I could possibly spend an hour or two at the Oceanside transit center, studying, assuming they are not all ICEed. Any way you look at it, unless there is a L2 at the college, my trip up there will take a few hours longer than an ICE.

Randy said:
Yup, starting soon. Thye're going to bore the hole for the conduit under the pavement instead of trenching...
Cox installed cable in the area where I work not long ago - assuming they do something similar, 2'x2' (or so) holes are cut into the pavement every 40' or so and the "boring machine" will drill and feed conduit from point to point. These guys would install about 1/2 block to a block of conduit a day.

Were is the final location of the DCQC and L2 stations going to be? Are they going to be at the parking spots near the street? If so, that's a good length conduit run - appears to be 150'+ looking at Google Maps. http://goo.gl/maps/hVKx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back