Leaf to power ENTIRE home, as done in Japan

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoustonFlier

Read first

Due to the horrible quake, tsunami, and nuclear disaster in Japan there is still a serious power shortage in.
Naturally the idea of tapping into EV's batteries for house power was obvious and I believe all the current EV's for Japan offer a 100v AC output (not 110V) for emergency.

Nissan in Japan is proposing going one step further, using the LEAF to power the house, and not just for emergency.
Taking advantage of lower power usage at night, the system could charge up the Leaf's batteries, which then can be used to power the home during peak times (It is a common worldwide practice to charge up energy storage systems at night).

7306444240_a3940c3a30.jpg

26.JPG

Naturally that means the Leaf would need to be at home during the peak period to pay off, but most people in Japan take public transportation. In the US this will be a bit more inconvenient due to its much more mobile society.

You can see Nissan press release and more on these sites:
http://blog.nissan.co.jp/EV/2012/PRODUCT/113.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (shows Leaf powering showroom lights)

http://kaden.watch.impress.co.jp/img/kdw/docs/536/423/html/26.JPG.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interestingly, a Texas utility, TXU, is offering FREE NIGHTS, that is NO COST to use electricity at night..
Yes, charge you EV for FREE, and then tap that stored power during the day! (except you cannot pump battery power into the house legally, yet. Power a window unit by extension cord should be OK.)

Intriguing possibilities! BUT, always a BUT, I would not bet this happening any year soon in USA, but like many others I would like to see a dual 110v output standard in Leaf and other EV's.

Not sure, given the extra stress this application would place on an your expensive battery pack, if it would be worth it over the long term. In a disaster it seems fine, but not for day to day.

The battery costs $13k (to Nissan) and can be fully cycled 1000 times, so each cycle is $13.. or about $0.56 per kWh, far from free :)

ENIAC said:
Not sure, given the extra stress this application would place on an your expensive battery pack, if it would be worth it over the long term. In a disaster it seems fine, but not for day to day.
Herm said:
The battery costs $13k (to Nissan) and can be fully cycled 1000 times, so each cycle is $13

Excellent points!

1000 cycles,... seems pretty good.

HoustonFlier said:
Nissan in Japan is proposing going one step further, using the LEAF to power the house, and not just for emergency. Taking advantage of lower power usage at night, the system could charge up the Leaf's batteries, which then can be used to power the home during peak times (It is a common worldwide practice to charge up energy storage systems at night).

Sounds like a great way to wear out your expensive battery pack sooner rather than later. :cry:

Back