Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WetEV said:
Stoaty said:
torgazm said:
Is it THAT much hotter in Phoenix where so many folks been experiencing all the battery bar losses?
Judge for yourself. Here are historical averages for

Phoenix, AZ: http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USAZ0166" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Omaha, NE: http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USNE0363" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS I would say YES, DEFINITELY!

These pages are out of date, at least for Seattle, WA. Record highs (click to turn on, doesn't show in URL) are easiest to show this, but the averages are moving up as well.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USWA0395" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shows a record high in Seattle of 96F for July.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/climate/monthdisp.php?stn=KSEW&year=2012&mon=7&wfo=sew&p=temperature" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seattle record high according to NWS is 105F in July 2009.

i was here and Seattle set the record in 2009 (like the rest of Puget Sound) when we had our heat wave that consisted of 12 of 13 days registering the 90's including 8 days in a row. for reference; previous records 3 days in row in the 90's. we average 5 days of 90º temps annually.

Olympia also set all their records (this two week period was responsible for over 1,000 records of some sort in the Puget Sound region) but their high of 104.5 was greater than Seattle. i remember them getting no hotter than 102 or 103 which would be the Tues Oly got the 104.5. (Seattle had never recorded 100º before this time) so 105 i would have to say is unofficial

the biggest knock on "official" records is their limited scope. it is unrealistic to take a city the size and variety of Seattle and create one official record collection point. that is why places like Weather underground has "unofficially" become the go to site for a real picture of the weather. even in a small town like Olympia, we have about 60 different collection points which gives you a much truer picture of the weather you are actually receiving.

it is pretty normal to get a half inch of rain "officially" at Tumwater Airport (the official collection point) and not get a drop in Lacey where i live 6 miles away

DANandNAN said:
I hope Nissan gets this fixed fast, but I don't like Perry's comment that they have just been made aware of it and only know of 5 cases :roll:

I think it said Nissan was only "investigating" 5 cases; however, without filing a formal complaint, Nissan can plausibly keep saying the number of complaints is small. I do think the affected Texas owners and the recent report of the California desert loss needs to be acknowledged as well. It's not just Phoenix (+ 1 known Tucsonian), it's hot climates.

maybe its 5 cases approaching the magical 30%. but its still a misleading story. it was very well done up the point where the guy says he went from 90 miles plus to 44. so he has 60% loss?? whatever

shrink said:
DANandNAN said:
I hope Nissan gets this fixed fast, but I don't like Perry's comment that they have just been made aware of it and only know of 5 cases :roll:

I think it said Nissan was only "investigating" 5 cases; however, without filing a formal complaint, Nissan can plausibly keep saying the number of complaints is small. I do think the affected Texas owners and the recent report of the California desert loss needs to be acknowledged as well. It's not just Phoenix (+ 1 known Tucsonian), it's hot climates.
Yeah, but I think that's bunk. Nissan is getting a ton of info from every owner during their checkups. Every time they plug a Nissan computer into a Leaf they get tons of information; they know, even if they aren't receiving complaints.

I'm waiting for the first Florida Leaf to loose a bar :( We'll definitely lease if we get the 2013.

DaveinOlyWA said:
maybe its 5 cases approaching the magical 30%. but its still a misleading story. it was very well done up the point where the guy says he went from 90 miles plus to 44. so he has 60% loss?? whatever

More like 40% loss (44/90 is ~49% but he was likely not pushing LBW before and now he is only willing to go one way).

Put this way if he has 45 miles each way then 45 x 2 = 90. As soon as his usable range goes below 90 he can be sensationalistic and say he only can go one way then has to charge even though he only went 45 miles. As a practical matter in the short term it doesn't matter to him if the car has 80 miles range or 50 miles range, if he commutes 45 miles he still has to charge to make it back. Of course the length of time charging would be different but for a sound bite where they don't give you time to explain nuances it's practically accurate to say he can only go one way now no matter where he is between 45 and 90 miles range just so long as it's below 90.

He may have even tried to explain that nuance and they cut it out but left the more sensational tidbit out of context.

DANandNAN said:
I'm waiting for the first Florida Leaf to loose a bar :( We'll definitely lease if we get the 2013.

Probably won’t be until March or April of next year, at the earliest, for the first Florida lost bar. Got to let the 2012s marinate through at least one warm season, first. My first LEAF probably would have taken the prize if I hadn’t sold it, since it started out on the light side when it comes to battery capacity. The range I'm getting on my new LEAF makes it obvious there was something wrong with the old one.

Called CS today to register my concern/complaint. They gave me a case # and told me to call back if I lose the 2nd bar.

I'm changing the way I care for (protect) the car battery. I already do all the things Nissan has suggested - those things listed on the battery report card - now I'm doing things I learned from tips here on MNL to keep it cool. Hopefully that will postpone losing that 2nd bar.

ecoobsessive said:
Called CS today to register my concern/complaint. They gave me a case # and told me to call back if I lose the 2nd bar.

I'm changing the way I care for (protect) the car battery. I already do all the things Nissan has suggested - those things listed on the battery report card - now I'm doing things I learned from tips here on MNL to keep it cool. Hopefully that will postpone losing that 2nd bar.

Ecoobsessive, what was your case number so I can add it to the Wiki?

Ok folks... the table for the 1 Bar Losses is up on the Wiki. Please review the entries for accuracy (my eyes are going buggy so any extra eyes looking at this thing are greatly appreciated). If anything is wrong or if you'd like to fill in any missing data associated with your entry, please PM me through the forum with the corrected/updated data. Thanks :)

DANandNAN said:
Yikes! Who was it that said most owners wouldn't notice if they didn't have the capacity gauge :roll:
That would have been me. I was talking about one bar not two, but I'm not sure how you lose one or two bars out of twelve and half the range. Of course if you actually lost half your range you'd notice. But you could do that by blasting the heat in bad traffic.

NOC8H18 said:
Lost 3 bars in 3 month. The car is currently at the dealer.

Nissan case# 8990701

Whoa. Sorry to hear that.

Were you the one in the news report?

If not, that's two known cases of 3 bars lost in what - less than 18 months?

vrwl said:
Ok folks... the table for the 1 Bar Losses is up on the Wiki. Please review the entries for accuracy (my eyes are going buggy so any extra eyes looking at this thing are greatly appreciated). If anything is wrong or if you'd like to fill in any missing data associated with your entry, please PM me through the forum with the corrected/updated data. Thanks :)

you might want to modify to allow for second and third bar losses?

Weatherman said:
DANandNAN said:

Probably won’t be until March or April of next year, at the earliest, for the first Florida lost bar. Got to let the 2012s marinate through at least one warm season, first. My first LEAF probably would have taken the prize if I hadn’t sold it, since it started out on the light side when it comes to battery capacity. The range I'm getting on my new LEAF makes it obvious there was something wrong with the old one.
So I guess the wait continues. I do know there's the one SFl guy who's doing 100 miles (albeit very slowly).
SanDust said:
DANandNAN said:
Yikes! Who was it that said most owners wouldn't notice if they didn't have the capacity gauge :roll:
That would have been me. I was talking about one bar not two, but I'm not sure how you lose one or two bars out of twelve and half the range. Of course if you actually lost half your range you'd notice. But you could do that by blasting the heat in bad traffic.
Maybe he was at 3 on his way to 4. Still isn't 50% though, I'm guessing they edited something out.

shrink said:
NOC8H18 said:
Lost 3 bars in 3 month. The car is currently at the dealer.

Nissan case# 8990701

Whoa. Sorry to hear that.

Were you the one in the news report?

If not, that's two known cases of 3 bars lost in what - less than 18 months?

Not the one in the report, but I feel his pain!

Re-lost my 12th bar yesterday. Got in the car to drive home, first time I had saw 7 bars on the temperature gauge since and it was again showing 11 bars. Miles seem a bit higher still, but I might just be driving it nicer as of late.

See some of you AZ people in a few hours.

Shrink, Scott is the one in the video with the blue Leaf. NOC8H18 is (unfortunately) a second Arizona owner with 3 lost bars.

As for Scott's sound bite on his range loss, I didn't hear his full statement at that part of the interview. But yes, they took several minutes of video and condensed it down to a few catchy words from each of us for the segment. You know how it goes. Don't get too hung up on the technical details in the story. You know via this thread what the numbers are. Not that Scott and I lied, but the point of the very short story was to get attention. It is getting that attention. I cross-posted the video on several websites and EV blogs, a few different Nissan Facebook areas, and even sent it to Tesla. There is talk of a second story as well.

Anyone think we need a new thread that begins outlining what we think Nissan should do for those with significant premature losses? Since we know they're watching, it might help them in formulating a path forward if they have an idea what our expectations are.

FYI I just called and filed a case with Nissan since bar 12 went away. They mentioned "I know a lot of Arizona owners have been experiencing that issue due to the extreme heat you have been having".

Hmmm...

Back